Rick

Default Sound insulation in floors with exposed beam ceiling below

All

Does anybody have any ideas as to which design / products I will need
to use to provide sound insulation through a celing / floor. The
celing will have exposed beams. The beams are 7 inches, and I want 3-4
inches exposed.

Thanks
Rick
Richard Faulkner

In message , Rick
writes
All

Does anybody have any ideas as to which design / products I will need
to use to provide sound insulation through a celing / floor. The
celing will have exposed beams. The beams are 7 inches, and I want 3-4
inches exposed.

Thanks
Rick

Try a search for reduc strata. It's very heavy so you may need a
structural engineer to confirm that your floor can take it.

--
Richard Faulkner
Andy

"Richard Faulkner" wrote in message
In message , Rick
writes
All

Does anybody have any ideas as to which design / products I will need
to use to provide sound insulation through a celing / floor. The
celing will have exposed beams. The beams are 7 inches, and I want 3-4
inches exposed.

Thanks
Rick

Try a search for reduc strata. It's very heavy so you may need a
structural engineer to confirm that your floor can take it.

The old technique was sand poured between the joists, but ditto with
the above warning.

Andy.

Rick

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 17:56:32 +0100, Richard Faulkner
wrote:

In message , Rick
writes
All

Does anybody have any ideas as to which design / products I will need
to use to provide sound insulation through a celing / floor. The
celing will have exposed beams. The beams are 7 inches, and I want 3-4
inches exposed.

Thanks
Rick

Try a search for reduc strata. It's very heavy so you may need a
structural engineer to confirm that your floor can take it.

When I saw what this product is, I also looked at Rockwool, the
technical dept said to do this :-

We would recommend laying 100mm Rockwool Flexi between the beams
supported on chicken wire, cross battens between the beams and a
soundbloc plasterboard fitted between the beams. I have attached a
detail which is similar (Figure 4) and we would expect this
construction to achieve a sound reduction in the region of 35-40dB.
Data sheet for the Flexi product also attached. Hope this is of help.
Thank you On Behalf of Technical Enquiries

I have not worked out what the "cross battens between the beams" is
for, so maybe somebody knows ....

Thanks
Rick

Rob Morley

In article , news@pen-y-
geulan.com says...
snip
We would recommend laying 100mm Rockwool Flexi between the beams
supported on chicken wire, cross battens between the beams and a
soundbloc plasterboard fitted between the beams. I have attached a
detail which is similar (Figure 4) and we would expect this
construction to achieve a sound reduction in the region of 35-40dB.
Data sheet for the Flexi product also attached. Hope this is of help.
Thank you On Behalf of Technical Enquiries

I have not worked out what the "cross battens between the beams" is
for, so maybe somebody knows ....

To better support the chicken wire?

Rick wrote:
All

Does anybody have any ideas as to which design / products I will need
to use to provide sound insulation through a celing / floor. The
celing will have exposed beams. The beams are 7 inches, and I want 3-4
inches exposed.

Thanks
Rick

Breifly, you can:

either lay sound absorbent stuff on the floor, and add another floor on
top

or put the absorbetn under the floor between the beams

NT

Rick

wrote:

[...]

The technical dept clarified .......

The chicken wire is just there to hold the insulation in place as we
usethis construction to acheive the fire rating. The rockwool flexi
isdesigned to be frictioned fitted and therefore there is not really a
needfor the chicken wire. The battens are there for ease of fixing for
theplasterboard.

So the answer to the orignal question, is to use a dence acoustic
plasterboard, and an accoustic rockwool.

The Natural Philosopher

Rick wrote:

All

Does anybody have any ideas as to which design / products I will need
to use to provide sound insulation through a celing / floor. The
celing will have exposed beams. The beams are 7 inches, and I want 3-4
inches exposed.

Thanks
Rick

Its almost impossible to do thia, but here are a couole if ideas.

1/. over the top of th ebeanms lay rubber or fibre board before laying
upstairs flooring: This damps out footsetps a bit..

2/. Put in ceiling first, and use dry sand filled polythene bags laid on
top before adding flooring above.