Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma

Default Offgassing from vinyl floors vs. laminate floors

I know vinyl flooring offgasses toxins for quite some time, however, is
it like carpet where it stops after a few years or does it continue
offgassing for it's whole life.

Does laminate flooring (ie: Pergo and such) offgass also? If so, how
long does it last (years, decades, forever, etc.). Would vinyl or
laminate flooring be worse when it comes to releasing toxins?

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. I know there are other flooring options that are probably better
when it comes to offgassing, etc. (ie: linoleum).

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know vinyl flooring offgasses toxins for quite some time, however, is
it like carpet where it stops after a few years or does it continue
offgassing for it's whole life.

Does laminate flooring (ie: Pergo and such) offgass also? If so, how
long does it last (years, decades, forever, etc.). Would vinyl or
laminate flooring be worse when it comes to releasing toxins?

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. I know there are other flooring options that are probably better
when it comes to offgassing, etc. (ie: linoleum).

I've install a few 1,000 sf of laminates during the last couple of years.
Offgassing I don't notice and don't bother me either but my wife detect it
even its sealed in the boxes - about 600 sf - after a year in storage.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma
EXT EXT is offline

Although I have no numbers or statistics but I would expect that vinyl,
carpet and laminate outgassing is exponential. Something similar to 50%
during the first 100 days, 50% of whats left during the next 100 days, so on
and so on. After a period of time the outgassing is so minimal that it could
not be detected by most people as it would be down to less than 1% of the
original amount.

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know vinyl flooring offgasses toxins for quite some time, however, is
it like carpet where it stops after a few years or does it continue
offgassing for it's whole life.

Does laminate flooring (ie: Pergo and such) offgass also? If so, how
long does it last (years, decades, forever, etc.). Would vinyl or
laminate flooring be worse when it comes to releasing toxins?

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. I know there are other flooring options that are probably better
when it comes to offgassing, etc. (ie: linoleum).

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma
Art Art is offline

We were re-doing a condo for my elderly parents and decided to replace an 8
year old vinyl floor with Mannington click together laminate. It was a
sunroom and quite frankly even though the vinyl was 8 years old when the sun
came out you could still smell vinyl. Anyway we had it pulled up and the
underside reeked of vinyl smell even though it was 8 years old. The
replacement Mannington laminate had no smell after a fell days. This is
true even though a vapor barrier (I think it was plastic and fiber,
definitely made by Mannington too) was installed underneath and you would
think that it might give off a bit of gasses for a while. I will never use
vinyl flooring in my home.

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know vinyl flooring offgasses toxins for quite some time, however, is
it like carpet where it stops after a few years or does it continue
offgassing for it's whole life.

Does laminate flooring (ie: Pergo and such) offgass also? If so, how
long does it last (years, decades, forever, etc.). Would vinyl or
laminate flooring be worse when it comes to releasing toxins?

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. I know there are other flooring options that are probably better
when it comes to offgassing, etc. (ie: linoleum).

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma

Harry Muscle wrote:

I know vinyl flooring offgasses toxins for quite some time, however, is
it like carpet where it stops after a few years or does it continue
offgassing for it's whole life.

Does laminate flooring (ie: Pergo and such) offgass also? If so, how
long does it last (years, decades, forever, etc.). Would vinyl or
laminate flooring be worse when it comes to releasing toxins?

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. I know there are other flooring options that are probably better
when it comes to offgassing, etc. (ie: linoleum).

Yes, laminates off-gas too, but as far as I can remember, not nearly as
badly (the volumes of volitiles required is considerably less in the
production of laminates than vinyls.

In terms of off-gassing duration, it will vary from product to product.

Michael Halliwell

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma

In article .com,
Harry Muscle wrote:
I know vinyl flooring offgasses toxins for quite some time, however, is
it like carpet where it stops after a few years or does it continue
offgassing for it's whole life.

Does laminate flooring (ie: Pergo and such) offgass also? If so, how
long does it last (years, decades, forever, etc.). Would vinyl or
laminate flooring be worse when it comes to releasing toxins?

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. I know there are other flooring options that are probably better
when it comes to offgassing, etc. (ie: linoleum).

Yes, people are dropping dead left and right in enormous numbers from
the deadly flooring and carpet gases.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma

Yes, people are dropping dead left and right in enormous numbers from
the deadly flooring and carpet gases.

You wouldn't believe the gasses you can find in sofa cushions after a couple
of years of good use!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma

"Noozer" wrote in message

Yes, people are dropping dead left and right in enormous numbers from
the deadly flooring and carpet gases.

You wouldn't believe the gasses you can find in sofa cushions after a
couple of years of good use!

Them is aromatics to prevent bug infestations. You can clear out entire
rooms if done properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma

Why not spend money on real hardwood flooring? If you decide to sell,
your home will be more attractive to home buyers than those who put in
cheap crappy laminate.

~Melanie

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma

It might be a big issue for someone with asthma. My wife has that and
we have talked of covering our hardwood junky floors with vinyl. With
dogs we have 4 it would be easy clean up.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma

Melanie wrote:
Why not spend money on real hardwood flooring? If you decide to sell,
your home will be more attractive to home buyers than those who put in
cheap crappy laminate.

~Melanie

We have a dog and hardwood floors currently which are getting slowly
destroyed by all the running in the house, etc. So we're looking for
something more durable (with less maintenance ... ie: no refinishing
needed, etc.).

Thanks,
Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma

We have a dog and hardwood floors currently which are getting slowly
destroyed by all the running in the house, etc. So we're looking for
something more durable (with less maintenance ... ie: no refinishing
needed, etc.).

Another option, though somewhat expensive (not that hardwood isn't)
would be slate...rock is long lasting (providing you're not taking a
hammer to it) and doesn't usually require off-gassing (depending on
what you use to lay it).br

It's not obvious that slate will stand rough use better
than properly plasticized hardwood. And when it does
take damage, fixing it is a bigger deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma

Goedjn wrote:

We have a dog and hardwood floors currently which are getting slowly destroyed by all the running in the house, etc. So we're looking for something more durable (with less maintenance ... ie: no refinishing needed, etc.).

Another option, though somewhat expensive (not that hardwood isn't) would be slate...rock is long lasting (providing you're not taking a hammer to it) and doesn't usually require off-gassing (depending on what you use to lay it).<br>

It's not obvious that slate will stand rough use better than properly plasticized hardwood. And when it does take damage, fixing it is a bigger deal.

true enough... I guess it just depends on what you want most.... no offgassing, minimal offgassing, high durability, moderate durability, ease of repair and so forth.  I shouldn't have specified slate....it is just one of many options available for stone flooring.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma

Harry Muscle wrote:
I know vinyl flooring offgasses toxins for quite some time, however, is
it like carpet where it stops after a few years or does it continue
offgassing for it's whole life.

Harry:

Alarmism to the contrary, this won't hurt you. Smells (often coupled
with
worry) *can* give people headaches. New car smell used to give me
those
because I didn't like it. I preferred the 'old car' mixture of
gasoline vapors and
mildew, probably much more toxic if you analyze it. But there is
such a
thing as exposure far below the limits of toxicity, despite what the
pseudoscientists say.

Keep a window open if the smell bothers you.

Cordially yours:
A. P. M. F.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma

wrote:

Harry Muscle wrote:

I know vinyl flooring offgasses toxins for quite some time, however, is
it like carpet where it stops after a few years or does it continue
offgassing for it's whole life.

Harry:

Alarmism to the contrary, this won't hurt you. Smells (often coupled
with
worry) *can* give people headaches. New car smell used to give me
those
because I didn't like it. I preferred the 'old car' mixture of
gasoline vapors and
mildew, probably much more toxic if you analyze it. But there is
such a
thing as exposure far below the limits of toxicity, despite what the
pseudoscientists say.

Keep a window open if the smell bothers you.

Cordially yours:
A. P. M. F.

Actually, I've done research in this field as part of my education and
yes, APMF is correct that the values encountered are typically lower
than the occupational limits. Just don't forget, you're typically in
your house a lot longer than the 8 hrs/day or 40hrs/wk of the
occupational guidelines. As you increase time, the allowable
concentration decreases due to chronic exposure. Not to fear monger, be
alarmist or anything like that, but some of the chemicals released
during offgassing may be known carcinogens and may or may not have
threshold values for exposure (i.e. any exposure can be "bad"). Of
course, how "bad" or how much the risk of cancer increases may not be
significant when compared to normal, accepted risks like driving to work.

On the flip side, don't forget the human nose is a surprisingly
sensitive detection device and can pick up some odors at very low
levels. What may be an unpleasant odor may not necessarily be harmful.

Generally speaking, I'd say that if you walk into the house and you
notice it pretty strongly or if you develop headaches on a regular basis
following a major change like new flooring, furniture, carpets or so
forth, you'll probably want to open the windows while the building is
occupied and get some additional air exchange happening just to be safe.

Michael Halliwell

Offgassing from vinyl floors vs. laminate floors Harry Muscle Home Repair 20 September 10th 16 06:09 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Vinyl floors hurt home value? John Smith Home Ownership 9 March 28th 05 07:10 PM
Ikea Laminate floors Shoaib Home Repair 1 September 15th 04 12:18 AM
Living With Laminate Floors? HerHusband Home Repair 41 February 5th 04 05:45 PM