Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.med.allergy,alt.support.asthma
Art Art is offline

Default Offgassing from vinyl floors vs. laminate floors

We were re-doing a condo for my elderly parents and decided to replace an 8
year old vinyl floor with Mannington click together laminate. It was a
sunroom and quite frankly even though the vinyl was 8 years old when the sun
came out you could still smell vinyl. Anyway we had it pulled up and the
underside reeked of vinyl smell even though it was 8 years old. The
replacement Mannington laminate had no smell after a fell days. This is
true even though a vapor barrier (I think it was plastic and fiber,
definitely made by Mannington too) was installed underneath and you would
think that it might give off a bit of gasses for a while. I will never use
vinyl flooring in my home.

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know vinyl flooring offgasses toxins for quite some time, however, is
it like carpet where it stops after a few years or does it continue
offgassing for it's whole life.

Does laminate flooring (ie: Pergo and such) offgass also? If so, how
long does it last (years, decades, forever, etc.). Would vinyl or
laminate flooring be worse when it comes to releasing toxins?

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. I know there are other flooring options that are probably better
when it comes to offgassing, etc. (ie: linoleum).