Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matthew

Default Sound proofing for floors?

Hi All,

We are currently redecorating some of our bedrooms.
One of our bedrooms is used for my guitar practice.
All the walls are solid so they are fine however the floor
is a standard suspended floorboard type and sits immediately
above the kitchen. Is it possible to add an overlayer to the
floorboards to prevent noise from being transmitted downstairs
through the floor to the kitchen. I need something thats cost effective
and easy to fit. (I dont want to add anything inside the ceiling
floorboard void.)
Has anybody any possible solutions. I did think about
maybe sheets of hardboard or some kind of rubber DPM type thing....

Thanks,
Matthew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

"Matthew" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

We are currently redecorating some of our bedrooms.
One of our bedrooms is used for my guitar practice.
All the walls are solid so they are fine however the floor
is a standard suspended floorboard type and sits immediately
above the kitchen. Is it possible to add an overlayer to the
floorboards to prevent noise from being transmitted downstairs
through the floor to the kitchen. I need something thats cost effective
and easy to fit. (I dont want to add anything inside the ceiling
floorboard void.)
Has anybody any possible solutions. I did think about
maybe sheets of hardboard or some kind of rubber DPM type thing....

build a soundproof room 'in' your room
A small cubicle big enough to play
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matthew

Nice idea however the solution has to be 'wife-friendly'
as the room is actually our guest room and gets occasional use
as a bedroom therefore has to look like a bedroom.

Matthew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rumble

Matthew said the following on 09/01/2006 11:53:
Hi All,

We are currently redecorating some of our bedrooms.
One of our bedrooms is used for my guitar practice.
All the walls are solid so they are fine however the floor
is a standard suspended floorboard type and sits immediately
above the kitchen. Is it possible to add an overlayer to the
floorboards to prevent noise from being transmitted downstairs
through the floor to the kitchen. I need something thats cost effective
and easy to fit. (I dont want to add anything inside the ceiling
floorboard void.)
Has anybody any possible solutions. I did think about
maybe sheets of hardboard or some kind of rubber DPM type thing....

Thanks,
Matthew

The first rule of sound-proofing is to make the space air tight, so make
sure the door and windows are as well sealed as possible.

To reduce transmission through the floor, you need to acoustically
isolate yourself (and your guitar) from the floor.

You should consider the following solutions in order of effectiveness
and cost/effort: -

1. Put your guitar amp on the bed, not the floor.

2. Fit as expensive an underlay and as thick a carpet as you can afford.

3. Lift the floorboards and stick neoprene strips to the tops of all the
joists.

Re-lay the floor with interlocking chipboard sheets.

Make sure that you drill clearance holes through the chipboard and then
screw the boards down (don't nail them and don't over tighten the screws).

Make sure that the boards are not touching the walls/skirting board.

Fill the gaps between the boards and the walls/skirting board with a
suitable sealant to make the gaps airtight.

Fit as expensive an underlay and as thick a carpet as you can afford.

see he

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar9...dproofing.html

http://www.nonoise.co.uk/seals/hdseal.htm

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

"Matthew" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nice idea however the solution has to be 'wife-friendly'
as the room is actually our guest room and gets occasional use
as a bedroom therefore has to look like a bedroom.

Matthew

This kind of stuff helps a lot I find:

http://tinyurl.com/982ww

Have you ever considered using an amp simulator (Pod, v--amp etc) though ?
Helps you get 'that' sound without the volume.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Donwill

"Matthew" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

We are currently redecorating some of our bedrooms.
One of our bedrooms is used for my guitar practice.
All the walls are solid so they are fine however the floor
is a standard suspended floorboard type and sits immediately
above the kitchen. Is it possible to add an overlayer to the
floorboards to prevent noise from being transmitted downstairs
through the floor to the kitchen. I need something thats cost effective
and easy to fit. (I dont want to add anything inside the ceiling
floorboard void.)
Has anybody any possible solutions. I did think about
maybe sheets of hardboard or some kind of rubber DPM type thing....

Thanks,
Matthew

A cheap solution might be to use headphones if appropriate.?
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On 9 Jan 2006 03:53:17 -0800, Matthew wrote:

Hi All,

We are currently redecorating some of our bedrooms.
One of our bedrooms is used for my guitar practice.
All the walls are solid so they are fine however the floor
is a standard suspended floorboard type and sits immediately
above the kitchen. Is it possible to add an overlayer to the
floorboards to prevent noise from being transmitted downstairs
through the floor to the kitchen. I need something thats cost effective
and easy to fit. (I dont want to add anything inside the ceiling
floorboard void.)
Has anybody any possible solutions. I did think about
maybe sheets of hardboard or some kind of rubber DPM type thing....

Thanks,
Matthew

Only two things really work. NO AIRGAPS and sand filled panels.

Sure a layer of carpet cuts noise down a bit...but not really enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 17:39:34 -0000, Donwill wrote:

"Matthew" wrote in message
[...]

Gutars won't feed back properly with headphones - the amp is an integral
part of the guitar.

Playing a leccy guitar through hedapones is like playing an acoustic guitar
with no soundbox.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
A cheap solution might be to use headphones if appropriate.?
Don

Gutars won't feed back properly with headphones - the amp is an integral
part of the guitar.

If you're running it to the sort of levels where feedback occurs, you're
into *a lot* of money to sound isolate the room.

Playing a leccy guitar through hedapones is like playing an acoustic
guitar with no soundbox.

--
*I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.