Ash1

Default Sound proofing wall

My neighbour is deaf and has to have the tv blasting out. As its a
semi detached house and built in 1991 the party wall is only breeze
block and plaster board. My bed actually rests on the wall which her
tvs on. I s there anyway I can soundproof the wall,Ive looked in BQ
but they dont have anything. Any ideas?
Julian Fowler

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:40:26 GMT, Ash1
wrote:

My neighbour is deaf and has to have the tv blasting out. As its a
semi detached house and built in 1991 the party wall is only breeze
block and plaster board. My bed actually rests on the wall which her
tvs on. I s there anyway I can soundproof the wall,Ive looked in BQ
but they dont have anything. Any ideas?

Show your neighbour how to get subtitles (teletext p.888)?

Julian

--
Julian Fowler
Richard

"Ash1" wrote in message
My neighbour is deaf and has to have the tv blasting out. As its a
semi detached house and built in 1991 the party wall is only breeze
block and plaster board. My bed actually rests on the wall which her
tvs on. I s there anyway I can soundproof the wall,Ive looked in BQ
but they dont have anything. Any ideas?

Many TV sets have a socket for headphones as a standard feature. Check with
your neighbour and see if she would like to try a headset.

Richard.

Ash1

wrote:

My neighbour is deaf and has to have the tv blasting out. As its a
semi detached house and built in 1991 the party wall is only breeze
block and plaster board. My bed actually rests on the wall which her
tvs on. I s there anyway I can soundproof the wall,Ive looked in BQ
but they dont have anything. Any ideas?

Show your neighbour how to get subtitles (teletext p.888)?

Julian

Should correct my post saying she is not totally deaf
Martin Angove

In message ,
Ash1 wrote:

My neighbour is deaf and has to have the tv blasting out. As its a
semi detached house and built in 1991 the party wall is only breeze
block and plaster board. My bed actually rests on the wall which her
tvs on. I s there anyway I can soundproof the wall,Ive looked in BQ
but they dont have anything. Any ideas?

If the tv is attached to the wall, then nothing much is going to help.
Even if it is merely close to the wall, you're not going to get a
massive reduction without building yourself into a soundproof box within
the room. In this case, mass and isolation are the two key elements.

Far better to have a chat with your neighbour. Perhaps visit the RNID
first because they will have brochures about subtitles, remote speakers,
headphones, hearing aids and (possibly best) induction loops. Once you
have this information, you have some sensible suggestions you can make.

There is also the thorny issue of a right to a quiet life. As a last
resort you can contact your authority's environmental health people
about this, but if you are thinking about it, try keeping a diary for a
few weeks first.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html

Julian Fowler

wrote:

My neighbour is deaf and has to have the tv blasting out. As its a
semi detached house and built in 1991 the party wall is only breeze
block and plaster board. My bed actually rests on the wall which her
tvs on. I s there anyway I can soundproof the wall,Ive looked in BQ
but they dont have anything. Any ideas?

Show your neighbour how to get subtitles (teletext p.888)?

Julian

Should correct my post saying she is not totally deaf

So? I'm not deaf in any way yet often watch TV with the sound turned
down low (others asleep in the house) and subtitles on.

Julian

--
Julian Fowler
Ash1

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:23:22 +0100, Martin Angove
wrote:

In message ,
Ash1 wrote:

[...]

Yes i suppose your right. If insulation isnt the answer then ill have
to have words.Ive been trying to avoid this as shes quite old,but she
does have the tv blasting out till sometimes 4.00am. Thanks anyway
BigWallop

"Ash1" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:23:22 +0100, Martin Angove
wrote:

In message ,
Ash1 wrote:

[...]

Hi Ash1,

The RNID Website is very helpful on these matters, it might be worth a visit
to see if they give you any ideas on helping her with an installation. I
think if you explain what you're going through to her, she should understand
you are trying to help with making both your lives a bit easier.

http://www.rnid.org.uk/html/leaflets..._and_audio.htm

dmc

In article ,
Ash1 wrote:
My neighbour is deaf and has to have the tv blasting out. As its a
semi detached house and built in 1991 the party wall is only breeze
block and plaster board. My bed actually rests on the wall which her
tvs on. I s there anyway I can soundproof the wall,Ive looked in BQ
but they dont have anything. Any ideas?

Brother in law had this problem - he works for the council and had a word
with relevant dept who put in touch with a sound proofing company. They have
just finished and it has made a big difference. It seems to be platerboard
with a rigid foam on the back. Its fitted to the wall using special metal
brackets that are designed to not transfer any vibration. The bumph that
came with it claims that it is used in recording studios.

Didn't seem heavy enough to me but it has made a suprising difference!

Ask your council noise people for advice. If you can't get anywhere I will
see if he knows what it is called. It wasn't cheap though...

Darren

BigWallop

"Ash1" wrote in message
My neighbour is deaf and has to have the tv blasting out. As its a
semi detached house and built in 1991 the party wall is only breeze
block and plaster board. My bed actually rests on the wall which her
tvs on. I s there anyway I can soundproof the wall,Ive looked in BQ
but they dont have anything. Any ideas?

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/a/isolate.html

Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM
Fixing plasterboard straight onto a wall Chris Harris UK diy 3 July 10th 03 11:18 PM
Subsiding Wall... Martin UK diy 7 July 8th 03 08:13 PM
Kitchen wall cladding - where in the UK ? Pete Dowling UK diy 6 July 7th 03 03:45 PM
How high can a garden wall between two houses be? M. Farlow UK diy 9 July 5th 03 04:49 PM