Pete Dowling

Default Kitchen wall cladding - where in the UK ?

Hello - can anyone recommend where to get tongue & groove wall
cladding from in the UK, preferably York please ?
We want untreated 'cos we're going to paint it, then varnish it.
Thanks in advance
Pete
BigWallop

"Pete Dowling" wrote in message
om...
Hello - can anyone recommend where to get tongue & groove wall
cladding from in the UK, preferably York please ?
We want untreated 'cos we're going to paint it, then varnish it.
Thanks in advance
Pete

Hi Pete,

If you're using it in a kitchen you'll need to use fire retardant coatings,
varnish and the like, especially on ceilings and around cooking facilities.
Any DIY Store does the stuff, so take a day to shop about for the cheapest
and best.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Simon

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Pete Dowling" wrote in message
om...
Hello - can anyone recommend where to get tongue & groove wall
cladding from in the UK, preferably York please ?
We want untreated 'cos we're going to paint it, then varnish it.
Thanks in advance
Pete

Hi Pete,

If you're using it in a kitchen you'll need to use fire retardant

coatings,
varnish and the like, especially on ceilings and around cooking

facilities.
Any DIY Store does the stuff, so take a day to shop about for the cheapest
and best.

---
BigWallop

I kind of thought that the old cladding stuff was obsolete these days, and
everyone used the MDF equivelent? .If you are painting it, I would go with
the MDF, as far as I know, Nowadays, it comes treated for moisture
resistance too, which is another concern for kitchens.

Michael McNeil

"BigWallop" wrote in message ...
"Pete Dowling" wrote in message
om...
Hello - can anyone recommend where to get tongue & groove wall
cladding from in the UK, preferably York please ?
We want untreated 'cos we're going to paint it, then varnish it.
Thanks in advance
Pete

Hi Pete,

If you're using it in a kitchen you'll need to use fire retardant coatings,
varnish and the like, especially on ceilings and around cooking facilities.
Any DIY Store does the stuff, so take a day to shop about for the cheapest
and best.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Try and get stuff that is a little longer than the lengths you need,
so as to keep joints to a minimum. Failing that you want to decide
where the joints are going to be; random or regular etc.

What will you be fixing them to? If you are pinning them, remember to
angle the pin in from the base of the tongue through the meat of the
wood into your grounds or battons. This means your first strip goes in
grooved edge to the wall.

A daub of glue is required here. And of course it must be plumb. I
take it you know how to scribe the first one to any unevennesses in
the edge of the wall? And make sure the two end boards are the same
thickness by measuring the widest part of the wall with the overall
size nearest this that the t&g provides - and halving the difference
between the two end pieces.

Check every fourth or fifth to see that they are staying plumb or
upright. (Or whatever angle you decided on.)
Toby

but as Homebase Clifton Moor are closing down

Oops, I mean Focus Clifton Moor

Toby.

Jonathan@Home

Toby wrote:
Look in the big B&Q on Hull Road, try Howarth Timber on Layerthorpe
just before the railway museum or Wickes on Clifton Moor.

The B&Q on Hull Road has three different grades, the cheapest is
unsuitable for staining and must be painted. The most expensive has
less knots and is a good deal thicker.
Wickes at Clifton Moor was the cheapest last year, but as Homebase
Clifton Moor are closing down (so that Wickes can transfer there)
they are currently running 20% off all stock, BUT Homebase had the
worst timber of anywhere known to man. At least the packs of
wainscotting/cladding are shrink wrapped.
Howarth Timber is actually on Leeman Road I think.

Toby.

yep you're right got my roads mixed up, I always miss the entrance and have
to turn round.

Cheers
Jonathan

Toby

Cheers
Jonathan

And there's nothing worth having in the Focus clearance even at a discount.
:-(
Been to look.

Toby.