Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sprinkler System Problem

I called a company to come out and fix a "leak" -- it wasn't really a leak. The pipes had come loose at a joint and he just had to glue it back. Before that though the water coming out was full force -- After the glue dried he tested it and everything seemed o.k. The yard is divided into sections (zones) and it is not always easy to tell which zone certain sprinkler heads are in. That was Wed.

Friday I went out to test the sprinkler system -- the timer is new and I am still learning how to use that, too. All the zones worked except for Zone 1 - where he worked. I think perhaps it didn't come on when he tested it -- but I didn't realize that then. Anyway, the water has no pressure in that zone...I can see the water dribbling out of the sprinkler heads (most of those are new) ... but it isn't spraying.

What would cause that? I called and the company will send someone out Monday to look -- no service call charge unless they need to replace a part. But I am not sure this problem is connected to the original problem. Unless he shook something loose when he replaced the case that goes around the valve...the wires look o.k. but I am not sure. If the wiring is loose - would the water not come up to the heads at all? This is appears to be a pressure thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 17, 2014 8:09:59 AM UTC-4, Dottie wrote:
[...]

That some small amount of water comes out when activated
tells you it's not a controller problem. Since it's the
zone he was just working on, first suspicion would be
that some debris is blocking the line and/or zone valve.
If the wiring was loose, but partially connected, that might
cause the problem, not sure. The valve might just partially
open, but these valves use the electric solenoid to get
them started, but then water pressure is what forces them
open all the way. So, even with a bad connection, if it
has enough to get it to start to open, many valves might
then open fully.

But whatever it is, sounds like it's likely related to the
work just done. Some dirt for example could have been in
the pipe and finally lodged in the valve. It's also possible
though that the zone valve, etc went bad and it's unrelated.
IDK why you think it might not have come on
when he tested it. Seems illogical that he'd leave it that
way, knowing he's going to have a call back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dottie" wrote in message

I called a company to come out and fix a "leak" -- it wasn't really a
leak. The pipes had come loose at a joint and he just had to glue it
back. Before that though the water coming out was full force -- After
the glue dried he tested it and everything seemed o.k. The yard is
divided into sections (zones) and it is not always easy to tell which
zone certain sprinkler heads are in.

If you turn on zone #1, everything that has water coming out is on zone #1;
ditto zone #2, zone #3, etc.
____________________

Friday I went out to test the sprinkler system -- the timer is new and I
am still learning how to use that, too. All the zones worked except for
Zone 1 - where he worked. I think perhaps it didn't come on when he
tested it -- but I didn't realize that then. Anyway, the water has no
pressure in that zone...I can see the water dribbling out of the
sprinkler heads (most of those are new) ... but it isn't spraying.

What would cause that?

Well, the control valve for zone #1 is opening - water is dribbling from the
heads - but it might be opening only slightly. The other possibilty is that
there is an obstruction within the pipe that feeds the zone #1 heads. I vote
for the valve problem.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

What would cause the valve to open partially ? Did I mention that before he worked on it -- when it was "leaking" -- it wasn't a leak. It was a full force stream of water. So something he did is blocking the water -- but I don't know how to check that. Is it something I can check or do I need to wait til they come back and let them do it. Not likely to be debris in all those sprinkler heads in Zone 1.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 17, 2014 9:31:40 AM UTC-4, Dottie wrote:
[...]

A bad valve or insufficient water pressure at the valve.
Maybe a poor connection in the valve wiring, but as I said
before, I'm not sure how valves like that behave under that
condition. I know they primarily use water pressure, not
electricity to open the valve. The solenoid starts some water
flow, then the water opens the valve the rest of the way.

Did I mention that before he worked on it -- when it was "leaking" -- it wasn't a leak. It was a full force stream of water. So something he did is blocking the water -- but I don't know how to check that. Is it something I can check or do I need to wait til they come back and let them do it. Not likely to be debris in all those sprinkler heads in Zone 1.

I agree it's not likely to be debris in all those separate heads,
but it could still be debris somehow blocking the pipe leading to all
of them. That seems a long shot though.

Given that you're not experienced on any of this and that
you paid the guy to do the work, I'd say just wait until he comes
back. The first step in the diagnostic on this one would be to
just manually open that zone valve and see what happens. On my
valves, you can do that just by turning them a 1/4 turn. IDK
if that's how they all work, etc. If they still don't come
on, then you know the problem is not that the valve isn't opening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dottie" wrote in message

[...]

You wouldn't need debris at the sprinkler heads themselves, just blockage in
the single pipe that feeds them from from the control valve.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I went back and dug out two sprinkler heads - cleaned them both -- and the water standing in the pipe was clear and not muddy. I put them back on to see if there was a difference in how the water came out and there was none. It just dribbled out all the sprinkler heads -- so it is a pressure problem and not a debris problem. Will just wait now and see what he says. Thanks for all your help though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Some one is coming out to take a look at? He will find the problem.
In a case like this, what I do is switch zone between bad zone(zone 1
there now) to another good zone. Matter of switching a wire in the
controller or in the zone valve box. My system is Rain Bird, 7 zones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 May 2014 06:31:40 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

What would cause the valve to open partially ? Did I mention that before he worked on it -- when it was "leaking" -- it wasn't a leak. It was a full force stream of water. So something he did is blocking the water -- but I don't know how to check that. Is it something I can check or do I need to wait til they come back and let them do it. Not likely to be debris in all those sprinkler heads in Zone 1.

If the joint was open, dirt could have been getting into the tubing
and the valve opening just pushed the debris further and blocked it
up.

It may or may not have been something he did.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Dottie" wrote in message
[...]

Was the bad joint uphill or downhill from the valve? Possibly he slopped
enough glue in the joint that in flowed into the valve and messed it up,
particularly if the joint was uphill from the valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

Nobody else seems to have suggested that perhaps the origional leak came back.
Low pressure/flow at the heads could certaintly be a symptom of that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 18, 2014 12:23:19 AM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
Dottie wrote:

[...]

Usually with a leak where it's so big that only a trickle is
left coming out of the heads, ie the water of an entire zone,
it would result in water that's readily visible on the
surface. That's what she had to start with. And if it happened
where he just repaired it, the ground having been dug up, you'd
surely have water boiling out of the ground right there.

I guess it could be a totally new leak. With some systems, you can
hear the normal sound of water running through pipes, like in
the basement, where they exit the building, etc. If the OP's
system makes those sounds, she could listen for the sound it
makes when the bad zone is turned on vs the normal sound it
makes with other zones. If they sound the same, then a lot
of water is going somewhere, ie a leak. If it doesn't make a
sound, while the other zones do, then you know water isn't
flowing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2014 8:09 AM, Dottie wrote:
[...]

My first guess would be that he let a lot of dirt into the line, but
even that shouldn't clog all of the sp. heads. If you know how to do
it, try unscrewing a head and then turn on the zone to clear the pipe.
Each sp. head should have a filter in it, so that could be cleaned as well.

You called "a company"? The original installer? One with good
references from a neighbor? If you don't know the company, hold off on
any "replacement parts" until you know the system better. Here is a
link to bookmark:
http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/

The site has everything you could ever possibly want to know about
sprinkers....it can be daunting, because there is so much info, but it
has good trouble-shooting stuff, too.

Is there any chance that the guy simply forgot to turn on the water
again? Next guess is he wants to replace a solenoid or a controller; be
careful out there.

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/faq/repair-valve.htm
http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/f...d-drainage.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 18, 2014 9:04:15 AM UTC-4, NorMinn wrote:
[...]

She reported taking off two heads and there was no dirt
clogging them.

Each sp. head should have a filter in it, so that could be cleaned as well.

She said the two were clean.

You called "a company"? The original installer? One with good

references from a neighbor? If you don't know the company, hold off on

any "replacement parts" until you know the system better.

Per the post, she called the company that just did the repair
work on the leak.

Here is a

link to bookmark:

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/

The site has everything you could ever possibly want to know about

sprinkers....it can be daunting, because there is so much info, but it

has good trouble-shooting stuff, too.

Is there any chance that the guy simply forgot to turn on the water

again?

If he did, then the other zones which she reported were working,
wouldn't be working.

Next guess is he wants to replace a solenoid or a controller; be

careful out there.

AFAIK, nobody replaces solenoids. They replace the zone valve.
And if it's bad or even suspect, what wrong with that? They
only cost $15. Not replacing the controller, I agree with. The
other zones are working, even this one produces a trickle at
the heads, so the zone valve is being at least partially activated.
Very unlikely it's a controller problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I watched him pull the two pieces apart -- and he painted a thin line around one of them and pulled the other piece over it. Don't think it was too much glue. The water appears to be coming as far as the sprinkler heads but then they just softly dribble.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

He asked "if this was the right zone" and pointed to some sprinkler heads in the front yard and I said "I think so" ... I was wrong. He was pointing to #2. So it wasn't something he deliberately did and I didn't deliberately mislead him. I explained I was still just learning where everything was. So it is possible the problem existed and neither of us was aware of it. One other thing -- he took the black rigid plastic cover from around the valve ... and worked on it ... then he let it dry and tested it. When he was satisfied he turned it off and replaced the plastic cover. He did not test it again. I am wondering if something got shaken loose when he put the cover back on ... just have to wait and see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 May 2014 10:30:30 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

I watched him pull the two pieces apart -- and he painted a thin line around one of them and pulled the other piece over it. Don't think it was too much glue. The water appears to be coming as far as the sprinkler heads but then they just softly dribble.

Dottie,

I've not read all this thread yet. At the sprinkler pop-up, there may
be debris at the head. Removing the head and flushing it may be
needed. At the control valve box - check that the valve knob isn't
turned down - partially closed. You can turn on a zone by turning the
knob. It may be partially closed.

The way I identified my zones was to check the wire colors at the
control box panel. Each zone wire color is different. Then identify
the wire color at the control valve(s) being used. Write it down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The water appears to be coming as far as the sprinkler heads but then they just softly dribble.

Pop-up sprinklers do fail. A weak spring is an example or the riser
may be binding due to wear. . If you have a replacement (extra),
replace one and check.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 May 2014 10:08:15 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

In a case like this, what I do is switch zone between bad zone(zone 1
there now) to another good zone. Matter of switching a wire in the
controller or in the zone valve box.

Gold Star!

At the valve box, it is good time to check for corroded wires, too.
--
"People who worry about crocodiles are smart!" -Joe Machi
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The water appears to be coming as far as the sprinkler heads but then they just softly dribble.

Pop-up sprinklers do fail. A weak spring is an example or the riser

may be binding due to wear. . If you have a replacement (extra),

replace one and check.

Except that it's several heads, some of them are new. And regarding your
other post, she also reported that she removed two of them, checked, no dirt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 May 2014 11:41:07 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Pop-up sprinklers do fail. A weak spring is an example or the riser

may be binding due to wear. . If you have a replacement (extra),

replace one and check.

Except that it's several heads, some of them are new. And regarding your
other post, she also reported that she removed two of them, checked, no dirt.

Then my vote is another leak or bad control valve. Tony pointed out
about swapping a wire at the control valve or at the controller panel.

Hope Dottie reports back on Monday...
--
.... if I had the perfect woman, I'd want twins -- Blackberry Smoke
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Sorry it took so long, the man just left. The problem was that someone (and it had to be the man who worked on it Wed.) had turned off the "flow control". It is a round thingy ... when it was off and you turn the water on you could hear the water running ... made a funny sound. When you turn it on the water goes through into the pipes where it makes its way to the sprinkler heads.

Don't know why the man turned it off -- nobody else has fooled with the equipment...except changing the sprinkler heads. Time to get back to that now.... thank you again for your help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 May 2014 13:17:47 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

Sorry it took so long, the man just left. The problem was that someone (and it had to be the man who worked on it Wed.) had turned off the "flow control". It is a round thingy ... when it was off and you turn the water on you could hear the water running ... made a funny sound. When you turn it on the water goes through into the pipes where it makes its way to the sprinkler heads.

Don't know why the man turned it off -- nobody else has fooled with the equipment...except changing the sprinkler heads. Time to get back to that now... thank you again for your help.

I think what you mean is the guy turned down the control valve knob. I
mentioned that earlier.

Do your pop-up sprinklers pop up now and spray a pattern?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Yes the sprinkler heads do pop up. Some are pretty old and need to be replaced. But they all work now ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 May 2014 18:29:08 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

Yes the sprinkler heads do pop up. Some are pretty old and need to be replaced. But they all work now ...

What was the solution?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes the sprinkler heads do pop up. Some are pretty old and need to be replaced. But they all work now ...

What was the solution?

I would assume it was just moving the valve to open. It's kind of weird
though. You would think last thing the service guy would do is verify
that it's working normally, then leave it alone. I haven't fooled around
with the zone valves that much. I know you can turn them on by hand.
Are there some that also have a position where you can manually lock them
off? Is it possible he could have turned it off, intended to leave it in
the auto position, but had it in the totally locked off position, if there
is such a thing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 May 2014 07:02:51 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Yes the sprinkler heads do pop up. Some are pretty old and need to be replaced. But they all work now ...

What was the solution?

I would assume it was just moving the valve to open. It's kind of weird
though. You would think last thing the service guy would do is verify
that it's working normally, then leave it alone. I haven't fooled around
with the zone valves that much. I know you can turn them on by hand.
Are there some that also have a position where you can manually lock them
off? Is it possible he could have turned it off, intended to leave it in
the auto position, but had it in the totally locked off position, if there
is such a thing?

IIRC, the knob is turned down, which prevents the diaphragm from
operating normally. And then opened all the way. The service guy;
after repairing the pipe, turning the knob full open would have
prevented his call back if he had run the zone at the control panel
one time to ensure the zone worked.