Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Sprinkler System Problem

On Sunday, May 18, 2014 12:23:19 AM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
Dottie wrote:

I called a company to come out and fix a "leak" -- it wasn't really a

leak. The pipes had come loose at a joint and he just had to glue it

back. Before that though the water coming out was full force --

After the glue dried he tested it and everything seemed o.k. The

yard is divided into sections (zones) and it is not always easy to

tell which zone certain sprinkler heads are in. That was Wed.

Friday I went out to test the sprinkler system -- the timer is new

and I am still learning how to use that, too. All the zones worked

except for Zone 1 - where he worked. I think perhaps it didn't come

on when he tested it -- but I didn't realize that then. Anyway, the

water has no pressure in that zone...I can see the water dribbling

out of the sprinkler heads (most of those are new) ... but it isn't

spraying.

What would cause that? I called and the company will send someone

out Monday to look -- no service call charge unless they need to

replace a part. But I am not sure this problem is connected to the

original problem. Unless he shook something loose when he replaced

the case that goes around the valve...the wires look o.k. but I am

not sure. If the wiring is loose - would the water not come up to

the heads at all? This is appears to be a pressure thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nobody else seems to have suggested that perhaps the origional leak came back.

Low pressure/flow at the heads could certaintly be a symptom of that.

Usually with a leak where it's so big that only a trickle is
left coming out of the heads, ie the water of an entire zone,
it would result in water that's readily visible on the
surface. That's what she had to start with. And if it happened
where he just repaired it, the ground having been dug up, you'd
surely have water boiling out of the ground right there.

I guess it could be a totally new leak. With some systems, you can
hear the normal sound of water running through pipes, like in
the basement, where they exit the building, etc. If the OP's
system makes those sounds, she could listen for the sound it
makes when the bad zone is turned on vs the normal sound it
makes with other zones. If they sound the same, then a lot
of water is going somewhere, ie a leak. If it doesn't make a
sound, while the other zones do, then you know water isn't
flowing.