Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wire fence hold-downs?

I'm sure someone must make stakes with a hook or notch at the top to hold
the bottom of wire fences next to the ground. What do I look for? Lowes?
What are they called? Or how to easily contruct a few such stakes? All I
can think of off-hand is wire coat hangers but I'm sure they'd be much too
flimsy. I don't have a power scroll saw to construct some out of wood
slats.

I'm trying to keep the neighbor's dog out of my yard. Asking them was
unsucessful.

Barbed wire strung along the bottom of the fence is a possibilty but it's
very stiff and hard to cut, fasten and otherwise handle.

Suggestions please?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
I'm sure someone must make stakes with a hook or notch at the top to
hold the bottom of wire fences next to the ground. What do I look
for? Lowes? What are they called? Or how to easily contruct a few
such stakes? All I can think of off-hand is wire coat hangers but I'm
sure they'd be much too flimsy. I don't have a power scroll saw to
construct some out of wood slats.

I'm trying to keep the neighbor's dog out of my yard. Asking them was
unsucessful.

Barbed wire strung along the bottom of the fence is a possibilty but
it's very stiff and hard to cut, fasten and otherwise handle.

Suggestions please?

TIA

I used some 1/2" square tube cut into 6" lengths to stake the bottom of my
chicken pen also buried the wire about 3" deep for those predators that
dig. Cut an angled slot partway thru anglr grinder or hacksaw about an
inch from the top to catch the wire .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

I'm sure someone must make stakes with a hook or notch at the top to hold
the bottom of wire fences next to the ground. What do I look for? Lowes?
What are they called? Or how to easily contruct a few such stakes? All I
can think of off-hand is wire coat hangers but I'm sure they'd be much too
flimsy. I don't have a power scroll saw to construct some out of wood
slats.

I'm trying to keep the neighbor's dog out of my yard. Asking them was
unsucessful.

Barbed wire strung along the bottom of the fence is a possibilty but it's
very stiff and hard to cut, fasten and otherwise handle.

Suggestions please?

TIA

Rent a small trencher (Ditch Witch) and cut a 4" wide x 24" deep trench
under the fence. Lower the fence so that it's a few inches down in the
trench and then fill the trench with cement. Anchors the fence and
prevents most rodentia i.e. dogs from digging under. If only there was a
similarly easy way to keep the rodentia's noise pollution restricted to
their irresponsible owner's property.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK writes:
(Scott Lurndal) wrote in newsqQ9v.1423538$Hk4.735126
:

tent stakes.

Ahhh. I'm not a camper so never thought of that. I wonder who sells such
stuff. Sporting goods store?

Sporting goods stores, outdoors (e.g. REI, Cabellas, Bass Pro), walmart, target,
k-mart, amazon.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On 5/5/2014 11:36 AM, KenK wrote:
I'm sure someone must make stakes with a hook or notch at the top to hold
the bottom of wire fences next to the ground. What do I look for? Lowes?
What are they called? Or how to easily contruct a few such stakes? All I
can think of off-hand is wire coat hangers but I'm sure they'd be much too
flimsy. I don't have a power scroll saw to construct some out of wood
slats.

I'm trying to keep the neighbor's dog out of my yard. Asking them was
unsucessful.

Barbed wire strung along the bottom of the fence is a possibilty but it's
very stiff and hard to cut, fasten and otherwise handle.

Suggestions please?

I used cheap landscape timbers on the ground at the bottom of my wire
fence and hammered in heavy duty fencing staples to hold them in place.
They've successfully kept our dog in the yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 5, 2014 12:02:26 PM UTC-7, Pete C. wrote:

Rent a small trencher (Ditch Witch) and cut a 4" wide x 24" deep trench
under the fence. Lower the fence so that it's a few inches down in the
trench and then fill the trench with cement. Anchors the fence and
prevents most rodentia i.e. dogs from digging under. If only there was a
similarly easy way to keep the rodentia's noise pollution restricted to
their irresponsible owner's property.

That'll be a fun problem when the fence wire rots off flush with the concrete in a few years.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2014 12:36 PM, KenK wrote:
I'm sure someone must make stakes with a hook or notch at the top to hold
the bottom of wire fences next to the ground. What do I look for? Lowes?
What are they called? Or how to easily contruct a few such stakes? All I
can think of off-hand is wire coat hangers but I'm sure they'd be much too
flimsy. I don't have a power scroll saw to construct some out of wood
slats.

I'm trying to keep the neighbor's dog out of my yard. Asking them was
unsucessful.

Barbed wire strung along the bottom of the fence is a possibilty but it's
very stiff and hard to cut, fasten and otherwise handle.

Suggestions please?

TIA

There are some pretty heavy duty stakes, both metal and plastic, at
Lowes for holding down landscape edging; perhaps some of those with a
cable tie or just wired together. I just bought some hardware cloth to
keep my daughter's little yorkiedoodle****zhuahua* in when we dog-sit.
She is only 3# and likes to track rabbits that live in our neighbor's
yard....small enough to squeeze through the space between our cyclone
gates because the bottom corners are rounded.

Yourkshire/poodle/chihuahua/andIcantspelltheother. She lives with two
monsters, 100# and 130#, part-Newfoundlands. The Newfie/lab. likes to
rearrange the planters in my pond, but he loves me. The Newfie/poodle
is a goofball who plays with the pup; she likes keepaway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 May 2014 15:38:41 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

On 5/5/2014 12:36 PM, KenK wrote:
[...]

If the problem is that the fence is too floppy near the ground, just
add a tension wire. This is small diameter wire rope fastened to the
end post, then threaded to and fro through the bottom loops of the
chain link. When you get to the other end, use a turnbuckle to put a
lot of tension on the wire. You do this for each straight section.
This will tension the bottom of the fence and prevent lifting it to
squeeze under. If there are a few areas where there is still a big
enough gap to the ground to squeeze through, just fill them in with
coarse crushed stone, which is unconfortable for a dog to dig through.
If the dog is a determined digger, lay down heavy galvanized poultry
mesh or the like and cover it with the crushed stone.

Works for keeping dogs in and/or dogs out.

HTH,

Paul F.