Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Saw downs, blow downs & wind shakes

Some of the local healthy Norfolk Island Pines blown down by last year's
hurricanes had some internal cracks (wind shakes?), but IMHO not much
different from felled healthy trees. I wonder if other timbers along the
gulf coast or elsewhere exhibit a marked difference whether sawn down or
blown down.

Would someone please discuss or give a reference to what happens inside
a falling healthy tree in general and in particular species. Also the
effects of total time spent shaking before falling and how the tree
fell. I assume that trunk weight and root size are factors. TIA

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Arch" wrote in message

Some of the local healthy Norfolk Island Pines blown down by last year's
hurricanes had some internal cracks (wind shakes?), but IMHO not much
different from felled healthy trees. I wonder if other timbers along the
gulf coast or elsewhere exhibit a marked difference whether sawn down or
blown down.

Would someone please discuss or give a reference to what happens inside
a falling healthy tree in general and in particular species. Also the
effects of total time spent shaking before falling and how the tree
fell. I assume that trunk weight and root size are factors. TIA

If, by wind shakes you mean the same as we have with local hardwoods, they
happen along the annual rings, and are a result of the tree bending under a
load while standing and growing. Ring porous woods like oak and ash seem
most prone, but they're certainly possible everywhere. I've even seen some
in maple.

Falling trees and "stump pull" is a whole different business. The heartwood
remains on the stump, and the bottom stick is left with a big hollow ripped
out section. Can rip along wind shakes, but not necessary that they be
present. The practice of plunging the saw to relieve the center of the wood
prior to felling is pretty commonly used on valuable birdseye and curly
veneer logs. Should say was, as now the feller machine holds the tree in
position as it's cut, precluding stump pull.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Glenn

Arch, not on the coast, but the coastal plain of Georgia I have found
ring shake in wild black cherry a few times. In fact I found it
yesterday in one that was 30 inches in diameter, and it makes you sad
to look at it. I am thinking I might be able to salvage some of it,
but all the while I was thinking about the big cherry bowls I was going
to get from this tree.
Glenn
Nashville, GA