Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Saw downs, blow downs & wind shakes

Some of the local healthy Norfolk Island Pines blown down by last year's
hurricanes had some internal cracks (wind shakes?), but IMHO not much
different from felled healthy trees. I wonder if other timbers along the
gulf coast or elsewhere exhibit a marked difference whether sawn down or
blown down.

Would someone please discuss or give a reference to what happens inside
a falling healthy tree in general and in particular species. Also the
effects of total time spent shaking before falling and how the tree
fell. I assume that trunk weight and root size are factors. TIA

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter