Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gas price

Yesterday after dropping someone off at the airport, I needed gas.

The first gas station had a sign 30 or 40 feet high and 10 feet wide,
tha said Regular 3.59(9).

I pulled up to a pump and, unusually for me, I think, noticed a sign on
the pump that said "10 cent per gallon discount for cash".

I thought, "Well I was going to go inside anyhow to get a newspaper.
Great."

So I did. They had no papers but I gave the cashier 40 dollars.

Outside, he had zeroed the pump, but it still showed 3.59.9. I thought
the price would be 3.49.9 since I was paying cash.

Went back inside. He said no. It would be 3.69.9 if I used a credit
card.

What do you all think? What would you do?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:22:41 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
Yesterday after dropping someone off at the airport, I needed gas.

The first gas station had a sign 30 or 40 feet high and 10 feet wide,

tha said Regular 3.59(9).

I pulled up to a pump and, unusually for me, I think, noticed a sign on

the pump that said "10 cent per gallon discount for cash".

I thought, "Well I was going to go inside anyhow to get a newspaper.

Great."

So I did. They had no papers but I gave the cashier 40 dollars.

Outside, he had zeroed the pump, but it still showed 3.59.9. I thought

the price would be 3.49.9 since I was paying cash.

Went back inside. He said no. It would be 3.69.9 if I used a credit

card.

What do you all think? What would you do?

Complain to consumer affairs or similar, depending on what
you have in your area. Here in NJ they have all kinds of
bureaucrats sitting, waiting for those kinds of things.
I remember when a local gas station did a promo with a
radio station, where they were either giving away gas or
offering it at like half-price, don't remember the details.

What I do remember is that state officials were there within
hours, shutting it down, because it was illegal. Apparently
there is some state law on the books going back God knows
how many decades, that says you can't sell gas at less than
cost. What's even more interesting is that there were
bureaucrats sitting around, knowledgable about such obscure
laws, and ready to come shutdown and cite it. Interesting, no?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2014 12:22 PM, micky wrote:
Yesterday after dropping someone off at the airport, I needed gas.

The first gas station had a sign 30 or 40 feet high and 10 feet wide,
tha said Regular 3.59(9).

I pulled up to a pump and, unusually for me, I think, noticed a sign on
the pump that said "10 cent per gallon discount for cash".

I thought, "Well I was going to go inside anyhow to get a newspaper.
Great."

So I did. They had no papers but I gave the cashier 40 dollars.

Outside, he had zeroed the pump, but it still showed 3.59.9. I thought
the price would be 3.49.9 since I was paying cash.

Went back inside. He said no. It would be 3.69.9 if I used a credit
card.

What do you all think? What would you do?

Here in NC and even in GA, the signs for a lower cash price say
something like 3.59_9 "Cash" and if you run a credit card at the pump,
the price will jump to the cc price. Most of the one that have a cash
price, also include debit cards as 'cash'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2014 11:22 AM, micky wrote:

Outside, he had zeroed the pump, but it still showed 3.59.9. I thought
the price would be 3.49.9 since I was paying cash.

Went back inside. He said no. It would be 3.69.9 if I used a credit
card.

What do you all think? What would you do?

Back when Amoco stations were in my area, that's how they used to
price their gas. You'd pull in assuming it'd be ten cents off the
posted price, and then find a tiny sign on the pump indicating that
it'd be a dime more if you used a credit card.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2014 11:31 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

It's not the officials who jump on those, it's the competition.
They're the people who lobbied for the law in the first place, and as
soon as one of their competitors is seen to be breaking it, they
report it. We had quite a circus going on here several years ago with
a cult that bought a few gas stations, used their followers as unpaid
help, and sold their gas below the legal minimums. The surrounding gas
stations immediately reported it, since the point of the law was to
prevent competition from moving into an area and driving the other
stations out of business by artifically low prices (only to raise them
once the competition was gone). And with their slave labor and tax
exempt status, the cult could sell gas below cost and still make a profit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/9/2014 11:22 AM, micky wrote:

Outside, he had zeroed the pump, but it still showed 3.59.9. I thought
the price would be 3.49.9 since I was paying cash.

Went back inside. He said no. It would be 3.69.9 if I used a credit
card.

What do you all think? What would you do?

Pretty much the way all that use the cash difference discount do it that
I've seen.

What I'd do would all depend on many factors...how badly I need the fuel
at the moment, how the price compared to where I normally did business
and whether had any cash as I don't have/use a debit card.

As a general rule I don't frequent those places as generally one can
find stations that don't surcharge at equivalent or near-so prices so
there's no point in it. Excepting for travel, all our fuel is bought at
the bulk distributorship on account excepting for what Lynda puts in her
car using the Dillons grocery discount. That 10-cent off pump price
ends up generally at about 2 or 3 less than the billed price from the
distributor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 12:56:39 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 4/9/2014 11:22 AM, micky wrote:

Outside, he had zeroed the pump, but it still showed 3.59.9. I thought
the price would be 3.49.9 since I was paying cash.

Went back inside. He said no. It would be 3.69.9 if I used a credit
card.

What do you all think? What would you do?

Pretty much the way all that use the cash difference discount do it that
I've seen.

There was a place 5 blocks from my home, an Exxon, that charged more for
credit, but I'm 99% sure their signs made that clear, and how much each
cost, before one pulled in.

Other than these two, I don't remember any discouts for cash.

What I'd do would all depend on many factors...how badly I need the fuel
at the moment,

Was worried I'd run out of gas while taking a person to the airport, but
the low-gas-light hadn't even come on yet.

how the price compared to where I normally did business

I can't keep track.

and whether had any cash as I don't have/use a debit card.

I had both.

As a general rule I don't frequent those places as generally one can
find stations that don't surcharge at equivalent or near-so prices so
there's no point in it. Excepting for travel, all our fuel is bought at
the bulk distributorship on account excepting for what Lynda puts in her
car using the Dillons grocery discount. That 10-cent off pump price
ends up generally at about 2 or 3 less than the billed price from the
distributor.

I told them I wanted my money back and even though I'd turned down the
receipt 4 minutes earlier, because I was sure I wouldn't need it, he
gave me the 40 dollars with no trouble. After all, he just works
there.

On the way out, I looked at another customer's pump and he was paying
the 10cents more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2014 12:22 PM, micky wrote:
Yesterday after dropping someone off at the airport, I needed gas.

The first gas station had a sign 30 or 40 feet high and 10 feet wide,
tha said Regular 3.59(9).

I pulled up to a pump and, unusually for me, I think, noticed a sign on
the pump that said "10 cent per gallon discount for cash".

I thought, "Well I was going to go inside anyhow to get a newspaper.
Great."

So I did. They had no papers but I gave the cashier 40 dollars.

Outside, he had zeroed the pump, but it still showed 3.59.9. I thought
the price would be 3.49.9 since I was paying cash.

Went back inside. He said no. It would be 3.69.9 if I used a credit
card.

What do you all think? What would you do?

Simple.
Shell station near me pulls similar crap.
I just don't go there.
I've driven out of stations where my credit card costs more than the
price on the sign.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky View Post
Yesterday after dropping someone off at the airport, I needed gas.

The first gas station had a sign 30 or 40 feet high and 10 feet wide,
tha said Regular 3.59(9).

I pulled up to a pump and, unusually for me, I think, noticed a sign on
the pump that said "10 cent per gallon discount for cash".

I thought, "Well I was going to go inside anyhow to get a newspaper.
Great."

So I did. They had no papers but I gave the cashier 40 dollars.

Outside, he had zeroed the pump, but it still showed 3.59.9. I thought
the price would be 3.49.9 since I was paying cash.

Went back inside. He said no. It would be 3.69.9 if I used a credit
card.

What do you all think? What would you do?
Micky:

That's called "misleading advertising", and you might want to call your state or provincial government and talk to someone in the Consumer Affairs department.

If the advertised price is $3.59 and a sign says "10 cents off for cash", then the price you pay should be $3.49 per gallon.

What they should do is set the price on the pump to $3.69 and put up a sign saying "10 cents off for cash". Then, you'd know what you're getting into.

By the way, it's real risky to pay for your gasoline at the pump with a credit card. There are only a few keys which open every gasoline pump in Canada and the USA, and all someone has to do is get their hands on a set of pump keys and put their own card reader into that pump. That card reader will gather all the information on every credit card that's put into it, and save that info for whomever installed the card reader. As often as not, it's the guy working at an all night gas station that's putting his card reader into the gas pumps to gather credit card information. Here in Canada, our CBC program "Marketplace" did a study on people who had lost money because someone had obtained their credit card information and pin numbers, and they found that the highest percentage of those occurances were when people used their credit cards to pay for gas at the pump. And, it was because the security of a gas pump is minimal compared to all the security against credit card information theft there is on other purchases, like in-store purchases.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/09/2014 12:22 PM, micky wrote:
Outside, he had zeroed the pump, but it still showed 3.59.9. I thought
the price would be 3.49.9 since I was paying cash.

Went back inside. He said no. It would be 3.69.9 if I used a credit
card.

What do you all think? What would you do?

Got Photoshop or a page layout program?

Whip up some flyers for $2.99/gal gasoline at this crooks service station and distribute them all around.
Maybe even toss in a free car wash. Hehehhhheeeeeheheeeeeee!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 14:14:17 -0400, micky
wrote:

[...]

Where I generally buy my gas (Canadian tire) I get a minimum 2 cent
per liter discount automatically at the pump when I use their special
gas card. If I spend enough I can save 8 cents per liter
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Shell stations in my area all have those loud obnoxious pumps that blast advertising at you while you fill your tank.

So I always go to the BP station where the pumps are nice and quiet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2014 2:55 PM, gopher stew wrote:
"Bubba" wrote in message ...
The Shell stations in my area all have those loud obnoxious pumps that blast advertising at you while you fill your tank.

So I always go to the BP station where the pumps are nice and quiet.

check with the state or your insurance agent. if these video terminals don't meet nec class i division 2 requirements they can't be used near the pumps.

You can be sure they do. Gas Station TV is a big deal. They do give
some news and weather too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here in the Chicago area, places that have car washes post prices 10 -15 cents lower than competing gas stations. Then, they post in tiny letters (with car wash) underneath the posted price, and also lower down on the sign they post the 10 -15 cent higher price with no notations. But it is always the 10-15 cents cheaper price that goes on the top of the sign and the largest size numbers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bubba" wrote in message ...
The Shell stations in my area all have those loud obnoxious pumps that blast advertising at you while you fill your tank.

So I always go to the BP station where the pumps are nice and quiet.

check with the state or your insurance agent. if these video terminals don't meet nec class i division 2 requirements they can't be used near the pumps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:23:01 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Here in the Chicago area, places that have car washes post prices 10 -15 cents lower than competing gas stations. Then, they post in tiny letters (with car wash) underneath the posted price, and also lower down on the sign they post the 10 -15 cent higher price with no notations. But it is always the 10-15 cents cheaper price that goes on the top of the sign and the largest size numbers.

Even that would be better than not posting it at all.

I made a point to look at the sign again before I left, but now that I
found the Ann Arundel County Department of Consumer Affairs, I feel the
need to look again, and take pictures. My friend comes back in about 2
weeks and I'll probably pick him up, so I'll look then. It's right
next to the air freight offices.

I've also looked at other stations and found one with the letters C A S
H, in 3" letters, vertically on the street side of the 30 foot pillar
that, with the other pillar, holds the prices. That's probably big
enough to satisfy me. But there are many stations to check out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bubba" wrote in message ...
The Shell stations in my area all have those loud obnoxious pumps that blast advertising at you while you fill your tank.

So I always go to the BP station where the pumps are nice and quiet.

check with the state or your insurance agent. if these video terminals don't meet nec class i division 2 requirements they can't be used near the pumps.

You can be sure they do is a big deal. They do give
some news and weather too.

Seriously? I thought it was just a stunt on some late-night tv
program.

My gosh. http://www.gstv.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bubba" wrote in message ...
The Shell stations in my area all have those loud obnoxious pumps that blast advertising at you while you fill your tank.

So I always go to the BP station where the pumps are nice and quiet.

check with the state or your insurance agent. if these video terminals don't meet nec class i division 2 requirements they can't be used near the pumps.

You can be sure they do. Gas Station TV is a big deal. They do give some news and weather too.

Ours are mostly some asshole hawking 99 cent gas station coffee. Yuk!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I dont like gas station TV but am not there long enough to really irritate me....

SAMS club and costco are generally 15 to 20 cents per gallon for gas. PA govenor corbett stuck it to everyone ramroding thru a gas tax and fees increase, much of it to go mass transit. In pittsburgh thats PAT Transit, they have built 2 bus ways and one light rail to the airport none of which ever got anywhere near the airport however they did build a tunnel under the river, while a mostly abandoned rail road bridge could of been used for a fraction of the cost, and included service to the convention center....

corbett gutted the $ for education I sincerly hope he DOES NOT GET RE ELECTED!

If he has a campaign rally around here I will go to heckle him. he is the worst govenor pa has ever had
Posted to alt.home.repair

SAMS club and costco are generally 15 to 20 cents per gallon for gas cheaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 15:30:35 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

I dont like gas station TV but am not there long enough to really irritate me....

SAMS club and costco are generally 15 to 20 cents per gallon for gas. PA govenor corbett stuck it to everyone ramroding thru a gas tax and fees increase, much of it to go mass transit. In pittsburgh thats PAT Transit, they have built 2 bus ways and one light rail to the airport none of which ever got anywhere near the airport however they did build a tunnel under the river, while a mostly abandoned rail road bridge could of been used for a fraction of the cost, and included service to the convention center....

corbett gutted the $ for education I sincerly hope he DOES NOT GET RE ELECTED!

If he has a campaign rally around here I will go to heckle him. he is the worst govenor pa has ever had

i'VE NEVEr heard of Corbett. I thought the governor was Santorum or
Scranton.
Posted to alt.home.repair

i'VE NEVEr heard of Corbett. I thought the governor was Santorum or

Scranton.

santorium was a congressman and wanabee president, he was never govenor

Scranton was govenor a long time ago

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2014 6:31 PM, bob haller wrote:

SAMS club and costco are generally 15 to
20 cents per gallon for gas cheaper.

BJs Wholesale Clulb in New York, typically
8 cents cheaper. I'll take it.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2014 6:30 PM, bob haller wrote:
I dont like gas station TV but am not there long

enough to really irritate me....

SAMS club and costco are generally 15 to 20 cents

per gallon for gas. PA govenor corbett stuck it to
everyone ramroding thru a gas tax and fees increase,
much of it to go mass transit. In pittsburgh thats
PAT Transit, they have built 2 bus ways and one light
rail to the airport none of which ever got anywhere
near the airport however they did build a tunnel
under the river, while a mostly abandoned rail road
bridge could of been used for a fraction of the cost,
and included service to the convention center....

corbett gutted the $ for education I sincerly hope he

DOES NOT GET RE ELECTED!

If he has a campaign rally around here I will go to

heckle him. he is the worst govenor pa has ever had

When I was a kid, gas was about 33 cents. When I was
a teen, and thinking about lawn mowing. I'd love to
see 15 to 20 cent gasoline.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 07:35:10 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

When I was a kid, gas was about 33 cents. When I was
a teen, and thinking about lawn mowing. I'd love to
see 15 to 20 cent gasoline.

Yeah. I wish I'd bought a lot more then. If I'd bought 28,000 gallons,
I'd still have a little left.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2014 10:46 AM, micky wrote:
When I was a kid, gas was about 33 cents. When I was
a teen, and thinking about lawn mowing. I'd love to
see 15 to 20 cent gasoline.

Yeah. I wish I'd bought a lot more then. If I'd bought 28,000 gallons,
I'd still have a little left.

You could store that in milk jugs, next
to your water heater. No problem.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

PA governor corbett stuck it to everyone ramroding thru a gas tax and fees
increase, much of it to go mass transit. In Pittsburgh thats PAT Transit,
they have built 2 bus ways and one light rail to the airport none of which
never got anywhere near the airport however they did build a tunnel
under the river, while a mostly abandoned rail road bridge could of been
used for a fraction of the cost, and included service to the convention
center....

Yeah, same crap near Philly but worse. Also Biden wants to spend HUGE
amounts of money on hi speed trains on the NE corridor. More waste.

I'm not sure that Corbett cut money for schools but I know that throwing
more money at things does nothing to improve a flawed system.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

i'VE NEVEr heard of Corbett. I thought the governor was Santorum or
Scranton.

Corbett is the latest gov. The other two were us senators or govs. Latest
senators are Casey and Toomey.

--
Tekkie

Scrap price vs useable price for I beams David.WE.Roberts UK diy 6 July 16th 13 08:04 PM
What price a CFL? Graham UK diy 18 September 17th 08 03:01 PM
IC Price Database -- You can query price of 1,147,000 IC Types! [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 30th 06 03:46 PM
Price of Oil and WW JGS Woodworking 31 August 8th 05 11:32 PM
J&S J32 price anyone? Grumps UK diy 0 August 2nd 05 03:12 PM