nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky View Post
Yesterday after dropping someone off at the airport, I needed gas.

The first gas station had a sign 30 or 40 feet high and 10 feet wide,
tha said Regular 3.59(9).

I pulled up to a pump and, unusually for me, I think, noticed a sign on
the pump that said "10 cent per gallon discount for cash".

I thought, "Well I was going to go inside anyhow to get a newspaper.
Great."

So I did. They had no papers but I gave the cashier 40 dollars.

Outside, he had zeroed the pump, but it still showed 3.59.9. I thought
the price would be 3.49.9 since I was paying cash.

Went back inside. He said no. It would be 3.69.9 if I used a credit
card.

What do you all think? What would you do?
Micky:

That's called "misleading advertising", and you might want to call your state or provincial government and talk to someone in the Consumer Affairs department.

If the advertised price is $3.59 and a sign says "10 cents off for cash", then the price you pay should be $3.49 per gallon.

What they should do is set the price on the pump to $3.69 and put up a sign saying "10 cents off for cash". Then, you'd know what you're getting into.

By the way, it's real risky to pay for your gasoline at the pump with a credit card. There are only a few keys which open every gasoline pump in Canada and the USA, and all someone has to do is get their hands on a set of pump keys and put their own card reader into that pump. That card reader will gather all the information on every credit card that's put into it, and save that info for whomever installed the card reader. As often as not, it's the guy working at an all night gas station that's putting his card reader into the gas pumps to gather credit card information. Here in Canada, our CBC program "Marketplace" did a study on people who had lost money because someone had obtained their credit card information and pin numbers, and they found that the highest percentage of those occurances were when people used their credit cards to pay for gas at the pump. And, it was because the security of a gas pump is minimal compared to all the security against credit card information theft there is on other purchases, like in-store purchases.