Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scrap price vs useable price for I beams

We were just about to scrap a couple of length of I beam - came out of the
house during the rebuild.

Builders are in next door, and saw it going into the trailer and the boss
of the firm expressed an interest.

Conversation went something like:

"Scrapping it - probably get a tenner - I'll give you a tenner for it"

Well, we were going to swing it in with some more scrap.

"Tell you what, £15 (to his workers) worth £15 wouldn't you think? Well,
how much do you want for it? Name a price."

Me - "tell you the truth I have no idea of the value - so I was going to
weigh it in with a load of other stuff."

"I'll give you £20 for it - if you want that just drop it off the trailer."

Cue Internet based research

Cue man standing on bathroom scale holding a length of I beam

Now if the scales are telling the truth the short length weighed exactly
20 Kg.

Measuring and scaling up to the longer piece suggested that it was around
47 Kg.

Assume a rounding up to 70 Kg in all.

Now an online source

http://greengatemetals.co.uk/scrapmetal/prices/

suggests that scrap steel is currently about £0.06 per kilo.

So scrap value seems to be £4.20.

I have a few remaining scruples so I don't want to screw the guy over, but
I presume an I beam new costs considerably more than the scrap value.

O.K. - search on fleaBay and the nearest match is a 152 * 89 at £22/metre.

Total length of the two I beams is just over 4 metres.

So £88 brand new.

I think I have concluded that £20 for the I beams is a good deal on both
sides.

Does this seem reasonable?

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2013 16:27, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

http://greengatemetals.co.uk/scrapmetal/prices/

suggests that scrap steel is currently about £0.06 per kilo.

So scrap value seems to be £4.20.

That's quite a fall actually - I got about 11p seven months ago

I have a few remaining scruples so I don't want to screw the guy over, but
I presume an I beam new costs considerably more than the scrap value.

O.K. - search on fleaBay and the nearest match is a 152 * 89 at £22/metre.

Total length of the two I beams is just over 4 metres.

So £88 brand new.

I think I have concluded that £20 for the I beams is a good deal on both
sides.

Does this seem reasonable?

Yup - especially as he offered that... ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lets hope its OK though, as he obviously has a use in mind, probably holding
up another customers upper floor!

Brian

Email:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 16/07/2013 16:27, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

http://greengatemetals.co.uk/scrapmetal/prices/

suggests that scrap steel is currently about £0.06 per kilo.

So scrap value seems to be £4.20.

That's quite a fall actually - I got about 11p seven months ago

I have a few remaining scruples so I don't want to screw the guy over,
but
I presume an I beam new costs considerably more than the scrap value.

O.K. - search on fleaBay and the nearest match is a 152 * 89 at
£22/metre.

Total length of the two I beams is just over 4 metres.

So £88 brand new.

I think I have concluded that £20 for the I beams is a good deal on both
sides.

Does this seem reasonable?

Yup - especially as he offered that... ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds very reasonable. Especially as it saves you transporting it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Brian Gaff wrote:
Lets hope its OK though, as he obviously has a use in mind, probably
holding up another customers upper floor!

Brian

Possibly the next door neighbours:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 18:46:36 +0100, ARW wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:
Lets hope its OK though, as he obviously has a use in mind, probably
holding up another customers upper floor!

Brian

Possibly the next door neighbours:-)

He had a look at it.

Minimal rust, and it has been indoors (in the structure) until the last 9
months or so.

Stored under cover as well.

Already spent the £20 (in anticipation) on four bottles of wine.

Cheers

Dave R