Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Convert a 110v to a 210v for an electric dryer

Does anyone know how much it would be to convert a 110v outlet to a 210v,
I have an electric dryer already, but the mobile home I moved into has
only a gas hookup?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/10/2014 05:44 PM, lorie wrote:
Does anyone know how much it would be to convert a 110v outlet to a 210v,
I have an electric dryer already, but the mobile home I moved into has
only a gas hookup?

You'd need a whole new circuit and your power box probably could not
handle it. You would need to hire an electrician and in a mobile home it
might not be possible at all.

Sell your electric drier and buy a gas one. Possibly a used appliance
store could work out some kind of a trade.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"lorie" wrote in message
roups.com...
Does anyone know how much it would be to convert a 110v outlet to a 210v,
I have an electric dryer already, but the mobile home I moved into has
only a gas hookup?

Likely cheaper both short and long turm to buy a gas dryer. Espically if
you have a natural gas feed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 10, 2014 9:12:55 PM UTC-4, NotMe wrote:
"lorie" wrote in message

roups.com...

Does anyone know how much it would be to convert a 110v outlet to a 210v,

I have an electric dryer already, but the mobile home I moved into has

only a gas hookup?

Likely cheaper both short and long turm to buy a gas dryer. Espically if

you have a natural gas feed.

Very possible that it would be more feasible to buy a gas dryer.
But it depends on if it's nat gas, propane, cost of the fuels, etc
You can't just convert a 120V outlet to 240V. It not only needs to
be 240V, it also needs wiring that will support the much higher
amps for the electric dryer. How much that cost depends on where
the circuit panel is relative to dryer, if the panel can support
the additional amps, if there is space for another breaker, etc.
Best case is the service supports it, the panel has an available
slot, and it's located near the dryer. Then it might only be
a couple hundred bucks to get an electrician. Worst case, it could
easily be 5X that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 10, 2014 5:44:01 PM UTC-5, lorie wrote:
Does anyone know how much it would be to convert a 110v outlet to a 210v,
I have an electric dryer already, but the mobile home I moved into has
only a gas hookup?

A transformer should be able to do it, if your electric supply can stand twice the current at 110v that the dryer requires at 220v. I don't expect that it can it a mobile home, though. See your local electrician for details.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/11/2014 09:21 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

Work the other way
220 at 30A means 60A at 110V, hmmmm 60A guess you could use welder's
cabling, right?

About the transformer, you'd be surprised how 'light' the transformer
can be using a 110 to 110 it only needs to be rated at 110V and what
you're supplying at 220, or in this case 4kVA. Why? draw it out, you'll
see.

The completely insane idea of thinking one could run a drier from a 115-
230 transformer reminds me of a construction project I saw in a 1948(?)
Popular Mechanics.

Build your own electric clothes drier....out of plywood!
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Ignore all the wacky suggestions of a transformer. Short answer, you can't "convert". You need a 240v 30amp circuit and outlet installed. New wire from the circuit breaker box to the location. Probably not terribly difficult if you can get under the mobile home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:46:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:50:03 -0700 (PDT), jamesgang

wrote:

On Monday, March 10, 2014 6:44:01 PM UTC-4, lorie wrote:

Does anyone know how much it would be to convert a 110v outlet to a 210v,

I have an electric dryer already, but the mobile home I moved into has

only a gas hookup?

--

Ignore all the wacky suggestions of a transformer. Short answer, you can't "convert". You need a 240v 30amp circuit and outlet installed. New wire from the circuit breaker box to the location. Probably not terribly difficult if you can get under the mobile home.

In a mobile home, it might be easier to get the power from the power

pole outside. Usually a mobile home space has the service disconnect

and meter if present there.

You may have a spare breaker slot in that meter/main or you can find

an electrician who understands feeder taps.

This won't be a handyman.

I'd shy away from that. I think doing that turns the main panel into a sub and you'd have to go into it and separate the ground and neutral. Running wire under a mobile home is fairly easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 09:52:47 -0500, philo* wrote:

On 03/11/2014 09:21 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

Work the other way
220 at 30A means 60A at 110V, hmmmm 60A guess you could use welder's
cabling, right?

About the transformer, you'd be surprised how 'light' the transformer
can be using a 110 to 110 it only needs to be rated at 110V and what
you're supplying at 220, or in this case 4kVA. Why? draw it out, you'll
see.

The completely insane idea of thinking one could run a drier from a 115-
230 transformer reminds me of a construction project I saw in a 1948(?)
Popular Mechanics.

Build your own electric clothes drier....out of plywood!

The problem is that you all never read enough Popular Mechanics.

What the OP should do is get a plug-in transformer, meant for a toy or
radio or something, AC output, and get a 6 to 220 volt transformer.
That way it will use less current, because those little transformers
only use an amp or two. All of you have been brainwashed by the
electxric company, which claims you need 60 amps for a dryer. One amp
is plenty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/ne...le-home-35874/

http://www.justanswer.com/electrical...lectrical.html

I haven't read these closely and wouldn't know if they were wrong even
if I did.

There are more
https://www.google.com/#q=adding+an+...+a+mobile+home
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/12/2014 02:36 AM, micky wrote:

Build your own electric clothes drier....out of plywood!

The problem is that you all never read enough Popular Mechanics.

What the OP should do is get a plug-in transformer, meant for a toy or
radio or something, AC output, and get a 6 to 220 volt transformer.
That way it will use less current, because those little transformers
only use an amp or two. All of you have been brainwashed by the
electxric company, which claims you need 60 amps for a dryer. One amp
is plenty.

No no no....Those one amp transformers cannot run an electric drier but
if you have a long enough extension cord, can power those futuristic
flying cars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/12/2014 3:36 AM, micky wrote:

Build your own electric clothes drier....out of plywood!

The problem is that you all never read enough Popular Mechanics.

What the OP should do is get a plug-in transformer, meant for a toy or
radio or something, AC output, and get a 6 to 220 volt transformer.
That way it will use less current, because those little transformers
only use an amp or two. All of you have been brainwashed by the
electxric company, which claims you need 60 amps for a dryer. One amp
is plenty.

You know, Jimmy Carter would be proud. You're
saving energy.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/12/2014 4:48 AM, Jacque Dubois wrote:

A transformer should be able to do it, if your electric supply can
stand twice the current at 110v that the dryer requires at 220v. I
don't expect that it can it a mobile home, though. See your local
electrician for details.

You prolly need a 2-phase transformer cuz traitor4 says 240v is 2-phase.

Be sure you get the right hertz. In USA, we are
needing 60 hertz transformers, in Canada, the
transformers are 50 hertz. Older transfomers in
the USA are 60 cycles per second, which works
OK now, also.

Be interesting to see if anyone notices what's
wrong with the above paragraph. Just nerds and
techies, I'd think.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 10, 2014 9:49:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, March 10, 2014 9:12:55 PM UTC-4, NotMe wrote:

"lorie" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

You need both 110 and 220 to run an electric dryer, 110 for the motor to turn the drum and 220 for the heating coils. Just having a 2-prong 220 volt won't do the job, you need a 3-prong outlet to send the proper voltage where it's needed.

You could, in theory, convert a 110 volt outlet to 220 volts by moving the white ground wire from the ground buss in the box to the other hot line, giving you 220 volts, but then you run into all the other objections with amps, watts, wire gauge, etc. Not a good idea, because if someone unknowingly plugs the vacuum cleaner into this converted outlet, it will probably burn out. Or up.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/12/14 8:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Be sure you get the right hertz. In USA, we are
needing 60 hertz transformers, in Canada, the
transformers are 50 hertz. Older transfomers in
the USA are 60 cycles per second, which works
OK now, also.

Be interesting to see if anyone notices what's
wrong with the above paragraph. Just nerds and
techies, I'd think.

The U.S. shares more with Canada than a common border.
Besides, everyone knows Hertz should be capitalized since it's a
proper name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/12/2014 6:50 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 3/12/14 8:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Be sure you get the right hertz. In USA, we are
needing 60 hertz transformers, in Canada, the
transformers are 50 hertz. Older transfomers in
the USA are 60 cycles per second, which works
OK now, also.

Be interesting to see if anyone notices what's
wrong with the above paragraph. Just nerds and
techies, I'd think.

The U.S. shares more with Canada than a common border.
Besides, everyone knows Hertz should be capitalized since it's a
proper name.

I hate those spelling corrections. That Hertz.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Convert a 110v to a 210v for an electric dryer NO!

philo* posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

The completely insane idea of thinking one could run a drier from a 115-
230 transformer reminds me of a construction project I saw in a 1948(?)
Popular Mechanics.

Build your own electric clothes drier....out of plywood!

That's because corrugated boxes were in short supply.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

lorie wrote:
Does anyone know how much it would be to convert a 110v outlet to a 210v,
I have an electric dryer already, but the mobile home I moved into has
only a gas hookup?

Hi,
No utility power hook up for the trailer? It ought to have 220V at
breaker box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:50:19 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 3/12/14 8:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Be sure you get the right hertz. In USA, we are

needing 60 hertz transformers, in Canada, the

transformers are 50 hertz. Older transfomers in

the USA are 60 cycles per second, which works

OK now, also.

Be interesting to see if anyone notices what's

wrong with the above paragraph. Just nerds and

techies, I'd think.

The U.S. shares more with Canada than a common border.

Besides, everyone knows Hertz should be capitalized since it's a

proper name.

I thought Hertz just made catsup; they sell electricity too?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/12/2014 09:43 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:50:19 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 3/12/14 8:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Be sure you get the right hertz. In USA, we are

needing 60 hertz transformers, in Canada, the

transformers are 50 hertz. Older transfomers in

the USA are 60 cycles per second, which works

OK now, also.

Be interesting to see if anyone notices what's

wrong with the above paragraph. Just nerds and

techies, I'd think.

The U.S. shares more with Canada than a common border.

Besides, everyone knows Hertz should be capitalized since it's a

proper name.

I thought Hertz just made catsup; they sell electricity too?

yes, 57 different varieties.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/12/2014 9:43 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:50:19 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:

The U.S. shares more with Canada than a common border.
Besides, everyone knows Hertz should be capitalized since it's a
proper name.

I thought Hertz just made catsup; they sell electricity too?

Ketchup, and transformers. They are a huge
conglomeration, and make piles of money from
consumers.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2014 07:17 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/12/2014 9:43 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:50:19 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:

The U.S. shares more with Canada than a common border.
Besides, everyone knows Hertz should be capitalized since it's a
proper name.

I thought Hertz just made catsup; they sell electricity too?

Ketchup, and transformers. They are a huge
conglomeration, and make piles of money from
consumers.

What about the car rental?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2014 8:47 AM, hah wrote:
Besides, everyone knows Hertz should be capitalized since it's a
proper name.

I thought Hertz just made catsup; they sell electricity too?

Ketchup, and transformers. They are a huge
conglomeration, and make piles of money from
consumers.

What about the car rental?

See? They are taking over the world, one
company and one market at a time. Some thing's
got to be done! The time is now!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:45:37 PM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:

You could, in theory, convert a 110 volt outlet to 220 volts by moving the white ground wire from the ground buss in the box to the other hot line, giving you 220 volts, but then you run into all the other objections with amps, watts, wire gauge, etc. Not a good idea, because if someone unknowingly plugs the vacuum cleaner into this converted outlet, it will probably burn out. Or up.

Paul

I actually had something like this happen when I worked in a small manufacturing plant.

An electrician installed an extra outlet in my office. The custodian burned out two vaccuum cleaners, didn't tell me until later. But I needed to drill a hole for some reason I no longer remember, and it ran REAL fast. So I put a meter on the outlet.

Sure enough, he'd tapped the lighting circuit instead of running a circuit. I had 277 V, the standard leg-to-neutral industrial lighting supply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2014 10:58 AM, TimR wrote:

I actually had something like this happen when

I worked in a small manufacturing plant.

An electrician installed an extra outlet in my

office. The custodian burned out two vaccuum
cleaners, didn't tell me until later. But I needed
to drill a hole for some reason I no longer remember,
and it ran REAL fast. So I put a meter on the outlet.

Sure enough, he'd tapped the lighting circuit

instead of running a circuit. I had 277 V, the
standard leg-to-neutral industrial lighting supply.

Someone mentioned years ago, some contractors were
using a socket on the neighbor's porch. Run all
kinds of tools during the day. Neighbor was upset
at both the guys not asking, and the cost of the
power. One day the neighbor wired the socket for
220 VAC, and the power theft stopped.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"lorie" wrote in message

Lorie, what an odd email address you have. Couple that with the fact that
you never posted here before or returned to comment on anything said in
response to your first preposterous post, I have to conclude you're just
another damn incarnation of the same dull troll that tried to convince us
his sink was electrified. You must lead an exceptionally dull and
purposeless life if *this* is how you entertain yourself. You have my pity.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:
"lorie" wrote in message

Lorie, what an odd email address you have. Couple that with the fact that
you never posted here before or returned to comment on anything said in
response to your first preposterous post, I have to conclude you're just
another damn incarnation of the same dull troll that tried to convince us
his sink was electrified. You must lead an exceptionally dull and
purposeless life if *this* is how you entertain yourself. You have my pity.

--
Bobby G.

I don't think it's the guy with the electrified sink. "Lorie" is a girl's
name.

I'll bet it's his wife.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Convert a 110v to a 210v for an electric dryer Pix?

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

"Robert Green" wrote:
"lorie" wrote in message

Lorie, what an odd email address you have. Couple that with the fact that
you never posted here before or returned to comment on anything said in
response to your first preposterous post, I have to conclude you're just
another damn incarnation of the same dull troll that tried to convince us
his sink was electrified. You must lead an exceptionally dull and
purposeless life if *this* is how you entertain yourself. You have my pity.

--
Bobby G.

I don't think it's the guy with the electrified sink. "Lorie" is a girl's
name.

I'll bet it's his wife.

Maybe she will send a picture of her tits?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 13, 2014 11:13:05 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/13/2014 10:58 AM, TimR wrote:

I actually had something like this happen when

I worked in a small manufacturing plant.

An electrician installed an extra outlet in my

office. The custodian burned out two vaccuum

cleaners, didn't tell me until later. But I needed

to drill a hole for some reason I no longer remember,

and it ran REAL fast. So I put a meter on the outlet.

Someone mentioned years ago, some contractors were

using a socket on the neighbor's porch. Run all

kinds of tools during the day. Neighbor was upset

at both the guys not asking, and the cost of the

power. One day the neighbor wired the socket for

220 VAC, and the power theft stopped.

I had a neigbor always use my outdoor outlet, so I put all the outside outlets on a switch. convenient fopr christmas decorations
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote:
"lorie" wrote in

message

Lorie, what an odd email address you have. Couple that with the fact

that
you never posted here before or returned to comment on anything said in
response to your first preposterous post, I have to conclude you're just
another damn incarnation of the same dull troll that tried to convince

us
his sink was electrified. You must lead an exceptionally dull and
purposeless life if *this* is how you entertain yourself. You have my

pity.

I don't think it's the guy with the electrified sink. "Lorie" is a girl's

name.

Reminds me about the joke about Frank Zappa's decision to name his daughter
"Moon Unit." As the joke went "everybody knows Moon Unit is a boy's name!"

I'll bet it's his wife.

I don't think I've ever come across a married troll. Having a wife usually
means having *some* redeeming qualities, enough so that a woman decided they
were worth having around. No, it's someone bordering on the psychotic with
a modern form of multiple personality disorder who gets a big kick out of
being someone "different" every day.

I expect the guy who *says* he's Lorie is sitting around in a garter belt
and bra *pretending* to be a woman, but I strongly doubt it because a) there
aren't that many women who come here, b) the ones that do seem remarkable
sane and c) they're usually not mentally deficient enough to get their kicks
by wasting other people's time.

Right now I'll bet he's pouring beer on his hand. Why? He's getting his
"wife" drunk so she'll have sex with him. That probably comes from living
most of his life with people saying: "Hey, go fu& yourself!" He finally
took their advice to heart. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

"Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that... NOT it makes me wonder about your "experience" in this
"field"? However this hasn't scarred me life, I already aeen something that
did that.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Convert a 110v to a 210v for an electric dryer ha

bob haller posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

testtickle

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgang wrote:
On Monday, March 10, 2014 6:44:01 PM UTC-4, lorie wrote:
Does anyone know how much it would be to convert a 110v outlet to a 210v,

I have an electric dryer already, but the mobile home I moved into has

only a gas hookup?

--

Ignore all the wacky suggestions of a transformer. Short answer, you can't "convert". You need a 240v 30amp circuit and outlet installed. New wire from the circuit breaker box to the location. Probably not terribly difficult if you can get under the mobile home.

Maybe the folks in the trailer alongside you get their 120 volts from
the opposite phase of the 240 volts, and you could string one wire from
their trailer to yours to get what you need to run your dryer.

Just kidding folks, but back around 1953 I actually did something
similar. I ran a 240 volt air conditioner in my college dorm room using
one lead from the hot side of an outlet in my room and the other (out
and in the windows) from the hot side of an outlet in the room next
door. Worked just fine and we never got caught for the whole school year.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 10, 2014 5:44:01 PM UTC-5, lorie wrote:
Does anyone know how much it would be to convert a 110v outlet to a 210v,

I have an electric dryer already, but the mobile home I moved into has

only a gas hookup?

--

More than the trailer home ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 22:44:01 +0000, lorie
wrote:

Does anyone know how much it would be to convert a 110v outlet to a 210v,
I have an electric dryer already, but the mobile home I moved into has
only a gas hookup?

There's no such thing as 210v. Try 220 or 240.