Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? Perhaps. Are You A Heavy Sleeper?

Is your alarm clock loud enough to wake you in the morning? I know a
fellow who was so hard to wake that he took a lamp timer and a 120 volt
10" fire bell to use as his wake up alarm. I believe it spooked the
neighbors too. This is a link to a video of steps one guy took to wake
himself up in the morning. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zEH5GxPNO8

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is your alarm clock loud enough to wake you in the morning? I know a
fellow who was so hard to wake that he took a lamp timer and a 120 volt
10" fire bell to use as his wake up alarm. I believe it spooked the
neighbors too. This is a link to a video of steps one guy took to wake
himself up in the morning. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zEH5GxPNO8

TDD

Though I have not used an alarm in over 30 years, I do recall a guy in
the dorm who needed a fire bell to wake him up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Is your alarm clock loud enough to wake you in the morning? I know a
fellow who was so hard to wake that he took a lamp timer and a 120 volt
10" fire bell to use as his wake up alarm. I believe it spooked the
neighbors too. This is a link to a video of steps one guy took to wake
himself up in the morning. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zEH5GxPNO8

TDD

On a slightly similar note, I just bought a new alarm clock for my
basement. I don't need an alarm clock, just wanted a clock to put on a
shelf so I could quickly glance up and see the time. I was actually
replacing a really, really old alarm clock that died.

Anyway, instead of a snooze button, the new ($10) alarm clock has a "snooze
leg". There are four really short "legs" on the bottom of the clock with a
rubber pad on each one. Typical anti-skid set up. What's different in this
case is that one of the front legs is actually the snooze button. If you
hit the top of the clock just about anywhere, it closes the leg switch and
sets the snooze.

Pretty interesting design. It's probably cheaper to make the case without a
snooze bar on top and the user doesn't have to search for a snooze bar, he
can tap the top of the clock just about anywhere. Your classic win-win.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jax Jax is offline

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:ld80vd
:

Is your alarm clock loud enough to wake you in the morning? I know a
fellow who was so hard to wake that he took a lamp timer and a 120 volt
10" fire bell to use as his wake up alarm. I believe it spooked the
neighbors too. This is a link to a video of steps one guy took to wake
himself up in the morning. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zEH5GxPNO8

TDD

TDD.... he even fitted horns to give a stereo sound. LOL!

BTW haven't seen you post in here for a while. A2600 must be getting
quiet.

--
Jax
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2014 10:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

It's probably because when you wake up some ornery critters, they slam
the darn alarm clock radio. Some of them need Nerf alarm clocks because
some irritable types will throw an alarm clock across a room. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2014 12:07 PM, Jax wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
news:ld80vd :

Is your alarm clock loud enough to wake you in the morning? I know
a fellow who was so hard to wake that he took a lamp timer and a
120 volt 10" fire bell to use as his wake up alarm. I believe it
spooked the neighbors too. This is a link to a video of steps one
guy took to wake himself up in the morning. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zEH5GxPNO8

TDD

TDD.... he even fitted horns to give a stereo sound. LOL!

BTW haven't seen you post in here for a while. A2600 must be getting
quiet.

Heck Jax, I post here all the time and even have a fanboy what followed
me from tx.guns and it is hysterically funny. It even uses part of my
nym but it nymshifts quite often. I miss Hatter, he was much more
entertaining to torment. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jax Jax is offline

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:ld8ikn
:

On 2/9/2014 12:07 PM, Jax wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
news:ld80vd :

Is your alarm clock loud enough to wake you in the morning? I know
a fellow who was so hard to wake that he took a lamp timer and a
120 volt 10" fire bell to use as his wake up alarm. I believe it
spooked the neighbors too. This is a link to a video of steps one
guy took to wake himself up in the morning. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zEH5GxPNO8

TDD

TDD.... he even fitted horns to give a stereo sound. LOL!

BTW haven't seen you post in here for a while. A2600 must be getting
quiet.

Heck Jax, I post here all the time and even have a fanboy what followed
me from tx.guns and it is hysterically funny. It even uses part of my
nym but it nymshifts quite often. I miss Hatter, he was much more
entertaining to torment. ^_^

TDD

TDD..... Hatter was the man, er, boy, er, child. He tried to be obnoxious
but ended up being more than thoroughly pwned. However he did make for a
lively group with long threads.... and I don't mean his lousy sig.

And I hope the two alarms on that clock were rigged to have some musical
interplay!

--
Jax
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2014 1:07 PM, Jax wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
news:ld8ikn :

On 2/9/2014 12:07 PM, Jax wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
news:ld80vd :

[...]

All the sane regulars ran off to that evil Faceplant where I refuse to
go because it sets off my privacy alarm. I asked syco if he remembered
that whacky thing "Tracker"? I think we both LOAO over that one. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/09/2014 10:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

[...]

I consider a snooze button (or "snooze leg") to be a bad idea. Putting
the alarm clock next to your bed is a bad idea too. These make it too
easy to go back to sleep when you should be waking up.

When I used an alarm clock regularly, I had programmed my computer
(across the room) to make a short (.5 second) beep at moderate volume
(which was usually enough to wake me up), followed by a minute of
silence (when I could get up and stop the alarm), followed by a longer
period of alternating tones played loudly.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within
organized religion." -- Homer Simpson (#100, 1994)
Posted to alt.home.repair

My problem is that most alarm clocks have
a very high pitch chirp. Which is way into
my hearing loss zone. Very often, I simply
don't hear the alarm. I've found that if I
turn the clock facing the wall, the chirper
is towards me. More likely for me to hear
it. The old Westclox with the mechanical
buzzer were good.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
My problem is that most alarm clocks have
a very high pitch chirp. Which is way into
my hearing loss zone. Very often, I simply
don't hear the alarm. I've found that if I
turn the clock facing the wall, the chirper
is towards me. More likely for me to hear
it. The old Westclox with the mechanical
buzzer were good.

Ever hear of a clock _radio_? There's bound to be a station that plays
something within your range of hearing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/14 8:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
My problem is that most alarm clocks have
a very high pitch chirp. Which is way into
my hearing loss zone. Very often, I simply
don't hear the alarm. I've found that if I
turn the clock facing the wall, the chirper
is towards me. More likely for me to hear
it. The old Westclox with the mechanical
buzzer were good.

Ever hear of a clock _radio_? There's bound to be a station that plays
something within your range of hearing.

Ebay has a bunch of loud alarm clocks. One has 113db noise output,
flashing lights, and a bed shaker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 14:35:41 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

When I used an alarm clock regularly, I had programmed my computer
(across the room) to make a short (.5 second) beep at moderate volume
(which was usually enough to wake me up), followed by a minute of
silence (when I could get up and stop the alarm), followed by a longer
period of alternating tones played loudly.

Back moons ago (forget now) I wrote *.bat file for a second phone line
for the modem. At X time, the first line would dial my phone line
and ring the phone as an alarm wake up next to the bed.

In a deep sleep one night I thought, who the hell is calling me at
this hour
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2014 9:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
My problem is that most alarm clocks have
a very high pitch chirp. Which is way into
my hearing loss zone. Very often, I simply
don't hear the alarm. I've found that if I
turn the clock facing the wall, the chirper
is towards me. More likely for me to hear
it. The old Westclox with the mechanical
buzzer were good.

Ever hear of a clock _radio_? There's bound to be a station that plays
something within your range of hearing.

No, what's that?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2014 9:36 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
My problem is that most alarm clocks have
a very high pitch chirp. Which is way into
my hearing loss zone. Very often, I simply
don't hear the alarm. I've found that if I

Ebay has a bunch of loud alarm clocks. One has 113db noise output,
flashing lights, and a bed shaker.

Are they nice bass note? Low pitch so I can hear?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2014 6:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ever hear of a clock _radio_? There's bound to be a station that plays
something within your range of hearing.

No, what's that?

It is a $10 item at Wal Mart. I just bought a new one and was amazed at
what you can get for $10 to $25.

Where I live I can get two stations. One has the headline news when I
get up so I know if Khrushchev sent the missiles to attack us during the
night. If yes, I sleep in. If no, I have to go to work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Is your alarm clock loud enough to wake you in the morning? I know a
fellow who was so hard to wake that he took a lamp timer and a 120 volt
10" fire bell to use as his wake up alarm. I believe it spooked the
neighbors too. This is a link to a video of steps one guy took to wake
himself up in the morning. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zEH5GxPNO8

TDD

I used to set 5 alarms all over the bedroom. I even begged people to call
me. They wouldn't. Some years later, I heard of a service that would call
you for a fee. I probably would have used them too!

My schedule was such that I might be working late one day and early the
next. No set days off. So I was constantly sleep deprived.

Things are much better now. I only set three alarms most days but I do take
them to bed with me. If I don't have to be up and somewhere, then I only
set one alarm. I take it to bed with me too. The alarms are right next to
my pillow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2014 6:17 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
[...]

There is an insensitive, Politically Incorrect joke I could make but you
could easily have a job as an emergency medical care practitioner. I'm
so proud of myself for showing incredible restraint. Geez I have a
warped mind! ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

[...]

Post a pix! You may find an "alarm" here...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

[...]

i posted for you. pass the joke along to me.

--
Tekkie

Railway sleeper sizes Andrew Mawson UK diy 19 February 24th 11 08:55 PM
Railway sleeper mantelshelf VisionSet UK diy 10 September 30th 06 02:27 PM
Sleeper Rebuild Lathe Gunner Metalworking 1 May 2nd 06 11:51 PM
Sleeper wall stuff redtigerseye UK diy 4 January 18th 06 12:58 PM
sleeper hardware SwampBug Woodworking 5 March 12th 04 01:21 AM