Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? Perhaps. Are You A Heavy Sleeper?

On 02/09/2014 10:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

On a slightly similar note, I just bought a new alarm clock for my
basement. I don't need an alarm clock, just wanted a clock to put on a
shelf so I could quickly glance up and see the time. I was actually
replacing a really, really old alarm clock that died.

Anyway, instead of a snooze button, the new ($10) alarm clock has a "snooze
leg". There are four really short "legs" on the bottom of the clock with a
rubber pad on each one. Typical anti-skid set up. What's different in this
case is that one of the front legs is actually the snooze button. If you
hit the top of the clock just about anywhere, it closes the leg switch and
sets the snooze.

Pretty interesting design. It's probably cheaper to make the case without a
snooze bar on top and the user doesn't have to search for a snooze bar, he
can tap the top of the clock just about anywhere. Your classic win-win.

I consider a snooze button (or "snooze leg") to be a bad idea. Putting
the alarm clock next to your bed is a bad idea too. These make it too
easy to go back to sleep when you should be waking up.

When I used an alarm clock regularly, I had programmed my computer
(across the room) to make a short (.5 second) beep at moderate volume
(which was usually enough to wake me up), followed by a minute of
silence (when I could get up and stop the alarm), followed by a longer
period of alternating tones played loudly.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within
organized religion." -- Homer Simpson (#100, 1994)