Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - PBS Special - "Super Skyscrapers"

Lots of very interesting stuff about the building of the new One World Trade
Center building. With the tower, the building comes to 1776 feet tall.
It's a remarkable story about how huge projects come together and all the
issues they had to face building super-tall skyscrapers.

The elevators rise at 1800 fpm, making a trip to the top possible in under a
minute. The shape of the building was designed to "spoil" wind vortices.
One thing that surprised me was the copious use of bolts instead of rivets.

Absolutely remarkable video showing how they assembled the spire. If you
didn't get to see it tonight, look for it in reruns. Anyone interested in
how things are built will enjoy it.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

Lots of very interesting stuff about the building of the new One World Trade
Center building. With the tower, the building comes to 1776 feet tall.
It's a remarkable story about how huge projects come together and all the
issues they had to face building super-tall skyscrapers.

The elevators rise at 1800 fpm, making a trip to the top possible in under a
minute. The shape of the building was designed to "spoil" wind vortices.
One thing that surprised me was the copious use of bolts instead of rivets.

Absolutely remarkable video showing how they assembled the spire. If you
didn't get to see it tonight, look for it in reruns. Anyone interested in
how things are built will enjoy it.

--
Bobby G.

what a crock...the only reason it gets that height is that the 408 foot
"spire" is included even though it is not an architectural element. it's
a pure case of politics

After the changes in the design of One World Trade Center's spire were
revealed in May 2012, questions were raised as to whether the 408-foot
(124*m) structure would still qualify as a spire and thus be included in
the building's official architectural height.[83][84] As the building's
spire is not enclosed in a radome as originally planned, it may instead
be classified as a simple antenna which, according to the CTBUH, is not
included in a building's official height.[84] Without the inclusion of
the antenna mast, One World Trade Center's official height would be its
roof height of 1,368 feet (417*m), making it the third-tallest building
in the United States, behind the Willis Tower and Trump International
Hotel & Tower, both located in Chicago.[85][86] Additionally, while the
building is the tallest in New York City now either way, without the
antenna it would be surpassed in 2015 by the under-construction 432 Park
Avenue, which is expected to rise to a height of 1,398 feet
(426*m).[87][88] One World Trade Center's developers have disputed the
claim that the spire should be reclassified as an antenna following the
redesign,[89] with Port Authority spokesman Steve Coleman reiterating
that "One World Trade Center will be the tallest building in the Western
Hemisphere."[83] The CTBUH announced in 2012 that it would wait to make
its final decision as to whether or not the redesigned spire would count
towards the building's official height.[83] On November 12, 2013 the
CTBUH announced that the spire on One World Trade Center will count as
part of the buildings official height which gives the building a final
height of 1,776*ft and makes it the tallest building in the Western
Hemisphere.[27]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:56:29 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
Lots of very interesting stuff about the building of the new One World Trade

Center building. With the tower, the building comes to 1776 feet tall.

It's a remarkable story about how huge projects come together and all the

issues they had to face building super-tall skyscrapers.

The elevators rise at 1800 fpm, making a trip to the top possible in under a

minute. The shape of the building was designed to "spoil" wind vortices.

One thing that surprised me was the copious use of bolts instead of rivets.

Absolutely remarkable video showing how they assembled the spire. If you

didn't get to see it tonight, look for it in reruns. Anyone interested in

how things are built will enjoy it.

--

Bobby G.

Blow it up!!
Blow up PBS also.
We want a violent overthrow of the US government
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:04:03 AM UTC-5, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
In article ,

"Robert Green" wrote:

[...]

1776 is the year my ancestor chased the tyrants out of America. What the **** are they doing here now?

Need to take these religious cocksuckers and destroy the extorting tax sucking scoundrals
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:

Lots of very interesting stuff about the building of the new One World Trade

Center building. With the tower, the building comes to 1776 feet tall.

It's a remarkable story about how huge projects come together and all the

issues they had to face building super-tall skyscrapers.

The elevators rise at 1800 fpm, making a trip to the top possible in under a

minute. The shape of the building was designed to "spoil" wind vortices.

One thing that surprised me was the copious use of bolts instead of rivets.

Absolutely remarkable video showing how they assembled the spire. If you

didn't get to see it tonight, look for it in reruns. Anyone interested in

how things are built will enjoy it.

--

Bobby G.

You can watch it anytime (for free) on NOVA's website:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/gr...upertower.html

Erik

Posted to alt.home.repair

As far as 432 Park Ave. is concerned, I would NEVER want to live in a building where the windows cannot be opened. I don't care how good the HVAC system is in there!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that.

Did they make any provisions for fire rescues in the top floors? A few 'old fashioned' outside fire escapes would be good. All those high rises need to have provisions to connect at least a rope bridge to the next building.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:56:29 PM UTC-6, Robert Green wrote:
Lots of very interesting stuff about the building of the new One World Trade

Center building. With the tower, the building comes to 1776 feet tall.

It's a remarkable story about how huge projects come together and all the

issues they had to face building super-tall skyscrapers.

The elevators rise at 1800 fpm, making a trip to the top possible in under a

minute. The shape of the building was designed to "spoil" wind vortices.

One thing that surprised me was the copious use of bolts instead of rivets.

Absolutely remarkable video showing how they assembled the spire. If you

didn't get to see it tonight, look for it in reruns. Anyone interested in

how things are built will enjoy it.

--

Bobby G.

greedy ****ers.

NYer's would have to be complete ****ing morons to ever go back. They should have left the hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
stuff snipped

Did they make any provisions for fire rescues in the top floors? A few
'old fashioned' outside fire escapes would be good. All those high rises
need to have provisions to connect at least a rope bridge to the next
building.

The made the stairs wider so that people could exit the building as
firefighters entered. After 9/11 I saw a guy on TV who had designed a
mountaineer-like repelling device that would allow an occupant to exit. The
harness and wire device had a drum that played out the wire slowly so
repelling experience wasn't required. Don't know what happened to that
device.

The primary nod to fire safety seemed to be the vastly different
construction technique and enough concrete to build two Empire State
Buildings. The whole process of mixing, tranporting and pouring concrete at
1,500 feet could have been an hour long program in itself. They used a
16,000(!) psi mix that hardened very rapidly and on occasion had to be
chipped out and removed when a pour failed the compression test.

When I watched it I couldn't help thinking what a similar TV segment might
look like if a modern day video crew were magically able to film the pyramid
builders describing the fine points of their construction work.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

As far as 432 Park Ave. is concerned, I would NEVER want to live in a

building where the windows cannot be opened. I don't care how good the
HVAC system is in there!

I hear ya. Sealed windows definitely impact any potential exit strategies.

http://www.google.com/images?q=432+Park+Ave

IIRC, the aerodynamics of such tall buildings pretty much prohibit open
windows. I'll bet there are lots of other reasons, too.

Somehow, looking at the pictures, it seems I.M. Pei was right. Someday many
of our tallest buildings will be converted into our longest ones. It just
seems so intrinsically vertically unstable. But I guess a lot of ancient
columns have survived so there's hope.

The real question is what would you do with an open window at 1,200 feet? I
guess you could stow a paraglider or a repelling kit. Plenty of people
"base jump" off tall structures and survive. Getting the window open or
broken out in these new hi-rises, at least from what I saw last night, won't
be an easy task. I'd at least keep a very long-handled sledge hammer
around. (-:

http://www.elegran.com/news/2013/07/...two-penthouses

The penthouse goes for $95M - wow!

I worked in a very, very tall building once in NYC and I gotta say - they
move a LOT. Some more than others depending on harmonics but on a good,
windy day, you can feel the whole damn structure swaying. It's probably not
where you want to be if a record earthquake hits NYC. I like being close to
the front door which is close to the ground and being able to open a window
and jump out without worrying *too* much about splattering when I hit. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Erik" wrote in message
news
Absolutely remarkable video showing how they assembled the spire. If you
didn't get to see it tonight, look for it in reruns. Anyone interested

in
how things are built will enjoy it.

You can watch it anytime (for free) on NOVA's website:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/gr...upertower.html

Thanks! I did not notice it was on-line and with dial-up, probably won't
get to see it there. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

When I watched it I couldn't help thinking what a similar TV segment might
look like if a modern day video crew were magically able to film the pyramid
builders describing the fine points of their construction work.

--
Bobby G.

Well the History Channel DOES have their series on ancient aliens that
delves into that very issue. (grin)
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

I worked in a very, very tall building once in NYC and I gotta say - they
move a LOT. Some more than others depending on harmonics but on a good,
windy day, you can feel the whole damn structure swaying. It's probably not
where you want to be if a record earthquake hits NYC. I like being close to
the front door which is close to the ground and being able to open a window
and jump out without worrying *too* much about splattering when I hit. (-:

--

I used to wonder why the local FD was on the 3rd floor of the City
County Bldg while the cops and mayor and other honchoes were up around
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
‹ Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

When I watched it I couldn't help thinking what a similar TV segment

might
look like if a modern day video crew were magically able to film the

pyramid
builders describing the fine points of their construction work.

--
Bobby G.

Well the History Channel DOES have their series on ancient aliens that
delves into that very issue. (grin)

The History Channel surely isn't what it used to be. It's like they say
about VH-1 - "It's hard to believe we ever had *anything* to do with music."
Change "music" to "history" and VH-1 to the History Channel and it's the
same thing. I just dropped my expanded cable package because I was done
with "Ancient Aliens" and "Finding Bigfoot" and "Duck Dynasty" and
"Pit Bulls and Parolees" and alls sorts of other useless crap. Most of what
I watch is available OTA on HDTV with better quality video that the highly
compressed feed that Comcast provides.

A while back on one of the local public access channels I saw a series that
attempted to present historical events like the plague through the eyes of
modern day newcasters. It was way more interesting than most of the crap on
CATV these days.

Does anyone recall the segment called "Cops - in Ancient Egypt" on the short
lived Ben Stiller comedy show on Fox a decade or so ago? A great take-off
on the long-running "live" police series and some pretty funny stuff.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

stuff snipped

I used to wonder why the local FD was on the 3rd floor of the City
County Bldg while the cops and mayor and other honchoes were up around
8 or 9. Turns out the way the building was situated even the city's
tallest ladder would only go to the 3rd floor. Coincidence? I think
not. So, when possible I always head down to the nearest fire station
and try to get no higher than where the closest ladder truck reaches.

Hmm. Does sound suspicious. The options for people above ladder rescue
reach are not very good.

It's clear that folks living in that ultra-high rise have traded off easy
escape for a terrific view. The one thing that the WTC collapse brought
home very clearly is that if there's a major event like a plane impacting
the side of the building, people above that floor are likely to be in a
world of hurt. IIRC, the new WTC should survive the kind of impact that
doomed the two WTC towers but I have my doubts. Still, a lot of lessons
*were* learned from 9/11 and the replacement building is demonstrably safer
in many ways.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

The History Channel surely isn't what it used to be. It's like they say
about VH-1 - "It's hard to believe we ever had *anything* to do with music."
Change "music" to "history" and VH-1 to the History Channel and it's the
same thing. I just dropped my expanded cable package because I was done
with "Ancient Aliens" and "Finding Bigfoot" and "Duck Dynasty" and
"Pit Bulls and Parolees" and alls sorts of other useless crap. Most of what
I watch is available OTA on HDTV with better quality video that the highly
compressed feed that Comcast provides.

I still get a kick out of AA. Probably because I am a huge Babylon 5
fan and like to see the one guy with the hair who looks like the
great-great-great, etc. grandfather of Londo Mollari. (g)
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
‹ Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's clear that folks living in that ultra-high rise have traded off easy

escape for a terrific view. The one thing that the WTC collapse brought

home very clearly is that if there's a major event like a plane impacting

the side of the building, people above that floor are likely to be in a

world of hurt. IIRC, the new WTC should survive the kind of impact that

doomed the two WTC towers but I have my doubts. Still, a lot of lessons

*were* learned from 9/11 and the replacement building is demonstrably safer

in many ways.

the replacement building is clearly a future target by idiots
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote:

stuff snipped

I still get a kick out of AA. Probably because I am a huge Babylon 5
fan and like to see the one guy with the hair who looks like the
great-great-great, etc. grandfather of Londo Mollari. (g)

I could see that. But how can you stand to watch Bruce Boxleitner, who
looks like he could be Clinton's fraternal twin? humor alert

I'm suprised that B5 and some of the other more recent SciFi series don't
seem to be in syndication much. Might be time to check it out on Netflix.
Uh oh: "Very Long Wait" - that means they have only one set of disks and
it's probably all scratched to hell. )-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:

[...]

Blow it up!

Including PBS. Arrest the Bush cartels.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:
"Guv Bob" wrote in message
stuff snipped

Did they make any provisions for fire rescues in the top floors? A few
'old fashioned' outside fire escapes would be good. All those high rises
need to have provisions to connect at least a rope bridge to the next
building.

The made the stairs wider so that people could exit the building as
firefighters entered.

....snip...

I recall staying in a hotel in Toronto many years back. We were on the 9th
floor when the fire alarm sounded. As we made our way down the stairs the
smell of smoke got stronger and stronger at the same time that our progress
got slower and slower.

The issue was the fireman coming up the stairs as the hotel guests were
trying to go down. With all their equipment, the hotel guests were forced
into a single line along one side of the stairway. I'll admit to a twinge
of panic as we basically stopped in the smokey smelling stairwell.

The upside was that even at 2AM downtown Toronto is still open. The wife
and I found a really good pizza shop and had a snack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

[...]

I have retired neighbor who used to be a paramedic for a local FD. He used
to drive the "fly car", often being the first one on site when medical
assistance was called for. Years ago he told that he never stays above the
5th floor of a hotel because that's the highest a FD ladder will reach. I
should ask him if he stills follows that rule.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 22:56:29 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

Lots of very interesting stuff about the building of the new One World Trade
Center building. With the tower, the building comes to 1776 feet tall.

Hey, that's the year of the Declaration of Independance. What a
coincidence!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:
....snip...

http://www.elegran.com/news/2013/07/...two-penthouses

The penthouse goes for $95M - wow!

I worked in a very, very tall building once in NYC and I gotta say - they
move a LOT.

....snip....

Just last week I heard an interesting statistic from a gentleman well
versed in Real Estate investments (REITs).

He said that the owners of the Empire State Building (Empire State Realty
Trust) are putting a lot of money into modernizing the interior of the
building. He said that right now it's hard for them to command high rents
because the building's amenities are so outdated.

The interesting statistic was that the building currently generates about
85% (eighty five!) of its total revenue from tourists visiting the
observation decks. That's 2.7 million square feet of commercial space vs.
the two observation decks on the 86th and 102nd floors. The O-decks win 85
- 15.

I'd like to see what the projected revenue numbers for the rental space
will be once the modernization is complete.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Lots of very interesting stuff about the building of the new One World

Trade
Center building. With the tower, the building comes to 1776 feet tall.

Hey, that's the year of the Declaration of Independance. What a
coincidence!

Yep, a real "coinkydink!" (-:

Here's an interesting test: Fill in the ages of the various people
associated with the American Revolution as of the year 1776:

Marquis de Lafayette
James Monroe
Gilbert Stuart
Aaron Burr
Alexander Hamilton
Betsy Ross
James Madison
Thomas Jefferson
John Adams
Paul Revere
George Washington
Samuel Adams

Scroll down for the answers. Source:

http://kottke.org/13/08/the-surprisi...on-july-4-1776

Marquis de Lafayette, 18
James Monroe, 18
Gilbert Stuart, 20
Aaron Burr, 20
Alexander Hamilton, 21
Betsy Ross, 24
James Madison, 25
Thomas Jefferson, 33
John Adams, 40
Paul Revere, 41
George Washington, 44
Samuel Adams, 53

--
Bobby G. minus 176

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message "Robert Green"
wrote:

stuff snipped

The made the stairs wider so that people could exit the building as
firefighters entered.

...snip...

I recall staying in a hotel in Toronto many years back. We were on the 9th
floor when the fire alarm sounded. As we made our way down the stairs the
smell of smoke got stronger and stronger at the same time that our

progress
got slower and slower.

The issue was the fireman coming up the stairs as the hotel guests were
trying to go down. With all their equipment, the hotel guests were forced
into a single line along one side of the stairway. I'll admit to a twinge
of panic as we basically stopped in the smokey smelling stairwell.

When they described making the stairs wide enough to accomodate firemen with
lots of equipment going up while occupants were going down I thought to
myself "who's going to keep panicked people from going down the stairs three
abreast?

I have a policemen friend in NYC who assures me that the FDNY members are
nowhere near as likely to enter a severely distressed high rise as they were
before 9/11. That may be just an expression of the typical rivalry between
cops and firemen (which is VERY strong in NYC) or it could be that before
9/11 no one really thought a huge building like that could collapse as
quickly as it did.

One thing was clear from the program - an enormous amount of energy is used
to lift tons of concrete and steel from street level. They said that it
took 10 cubic yards of concrete to simply prime the pipe that brought the
mix to the upper floors. They pointed out that when you're that high up,
the weather can differ substantially from that at street level. I liked the
ironworker that said "We just stack things onto of other things - but we do
it up here where no one can bother us."

The upside was that even at 2AM downtown Toronto is still open. The wife
and I found a really good pizza shop and had a snack.

Every cloud has a silver lining, every tornado contains at least a little
loose change. (-: I remember going to Toronto in the '70's when the border
crossing was a LOT more relaxed than it is now. That was back when you
could take TWO whole tubes of toothpaste onto a plane if you so desired.
Even a pocketknife! Not anymore. )-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I have retired neighbor who used to be a paramedic for a local FD. He used
to drive the "fly car", often being the first one on site when medical
assistance was called for. Years ago he told that he never stays above the
5th floor of a hotel because that's the highest a FD ladder will reach. I
should ask him if he stills follows that rule.

I've heard more than one firefighter say something like that.

It's funny that in NYC where my grandparents had to spend what for them was
an enormous amount of money adding a fire escape to their three story house,
there's very little real concern about how people can escape from these
uber-tall buildings. Apartment buildings have external fire escapes,
airplanes have those inflatable slides, big ships have lifeboats and yet in
disasters like the WTC collapse, occupants end up jumping out of windows to
certain death. What's wrong with this picture?

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Just last week I heard an interesting statistic from a gentleman well
versed in Real Estate investments (REITs).

He said that the owners of the Empire State Building (Empire State Realty
Trust) are putting a lot of money into modernizing the interior of the
building. He said that right now it's hard for them to command high rents
because the building's amenities are so outdated.

The interesting statistic was that the building currently generates about
85% (eighty five!) of its total revenue from tourists visiting the
observation decks. That's 2.7 million square feet of commercial space vs.
the two observation decks on the 86th and 102nd floors. The O-decks win 85
- 15.

Jeez. Who would have thunk it? Reminds me of how Egypt has fared after its
"revolution." Tourism revenue plummeted and only then did they realize what
the interruption cost them. You'd think if they hated the West that much,
the best revenge would be to rip off all the Western tourists with $5
glasses of lemonade, possibly made with Aswan Dam snail infested water
that's chock full of parasites like the schistosomiasis worm: black humor
alert

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schistosoma

http://www.dcp2.org/features/81

I'd like to see what the projected revenue numbers for the rental space
will be once the modernization is complete.

I wonder if the revenue will be affected by the new One WTC building? It's
got a pretty remarkable view of NYC and the surrounding areas. It's also
clearly got a historical sense to it that the ESB lacks in comparison. It
would be worth visiting One WTC just to ride in those super-high speed
elevator cars. At over 1000 feet per minute, going down's got to induce
some serious weightless feelings.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

"Robert Green" wrote:
...snip...

http://www.elegran.com/news/2013/07/...ave-two-pentho
[...]

did he happen to mention if the building actually generates a profit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2014 9:56 PM, Robert Green wrote:
Lots of very interesting stuff about the building of the new One World Trade
Center building. With the tower, the building comes to 1776 feet tall.
It's a remarkable story about how huge projects come together and all the
issues they had to face building super-tall skyscrapers.

The elevators rise at 1800 fpm, making a trip to the top possible in under a
minute. The shape of the building was designed to "spoil" wind vortices.
One thing that surprised me was the copious use of bolts instead of rivets.

I can't picture 1800 fpm. It is the same as 20.5 mph. Hard to imagine
how they move an elevator that fast.

I don't think they have used rivets for a long time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:

[...]

There used to be good science on Discovery and TLC, and history on
History Chanel. I agree there is not much anymore.

I don't watch Animal Planet, but I thought that was still good. But they
recently had a show on mermaids (actually 2 shows), highest viewers they
ever had. It featured Dr. Paul Robertson, a NOAA scientist. The
scientist was an actor and the whole thing was BS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/2014 3:02 AM, Robert Green wrote:

The real question is what would you do with an open window at 1,200 feet?

I wouldn't want to be near an open window at 1,200 ft, Or 50 ft.

I worked in a very, very tall building once in NYC and I gotta say - they
move a LOT. Some more than others depending on harmonics but on a good,
windy day, you can feel the whole damn structure swaying.

Some buildings have a real heavy weight near the top that is controlled
to move in the same direction the building is (pushes the building in
the other direction).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I have a policemen friend in NYC who assures me that the FDNY members are
nowhere near as likely to enter a severely distressed high rise as they were
before 9/11. That may be just an expression of the typical rivalry between
cops and firemen (which is VERY strong in NYC) or it could be that before
9/11 no one really thought a huge building like that could collapse as
quickly as it did.

Both services will do their DUTY. It is a long standing rivalry.

Never forget: 343 firefighters killed that day. Believe me they knew when they went in they were in
deep ****.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green:

Not just about emergecy egress, but about fresh air. I would suffocate in there just thinking about it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

The real question is what would you do with an open window at 1,200 feet? I
guess you could stow a paraglider or a repelling kit. Plenty of people
"base jump" off tall structures and survive. Getting the window open or
broken out in these new hi-rises, at least from what I saw last night, won't
be an easy task. I'd at least keep a very long-handled sledge hammer
around. (-:

How many 1200' ropes will be required for each office? What if the fire is 6 stories below you?
There have been many ideas on how to rescue victims from those heights. From chutes to ropes to nets.
Ever rappel? You better have it experienced it before having to do it. Having the windows open will
cause all sorts of problems with airflow during fires. That is why HVAC systems will reverse with
fire detection system initiation.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I used to wonder why the local FD was on the 3rd floor of the City
County Bldg while the cops and mayor and other honchoes were up around
8 or 9. Turns out the way the building was situated even the city's
tallest ladder would only go to the 3rd floor. Coincidence? I think
not.

Are these administrative offices?

Usually the "nicest" or "most favored" people get the higher offices.

Remember **** rolls downhill and the fire service is usually the fence that catches it.
--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The examples you present are much closer to the ground then skyscrapers.

Tell us how to solve the problem!

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/14 11:18 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Marquis de Lafayette, 18
James Monroe, 18
Gilbert Stuart, 20
Aaron Burr, 20
Alexander Hamilton, 21
Betsy Ross, 24
James Madison, 25
Thomas Jefferson, 33
John Adams, 40
Paul Revere, 41
George Washington, 44
Samuel Adams, 53

--
Bobby G. minus 176

And now the Feds think it's ok for "kids" to mooch off of their
parents' insurance until the ripe old age of 26.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:56:29 PM UTC-8, Robert Green wrote:
Lots of very interesting stuff about the building of the new One World Trade

Center building. With the tower, the building comes to 1776 feet tall.

It's a remarkable story about how huge projects come together and all the

issues they had to face building super-tall skyscrapers.

The elevators rise at 1800 fpm, making a trip to the top possible in under a

minute. The shape of the building was designed to "spoil" wind vortices.

There's a very tall building in, I think, Shanghai, that uses that principle, but it is ROUNDED. Astonishingly graceful.

HB

One thing that surprised me was the copious use of bolts instead of rivets.

Absolutely remarkable video showing how they assembled the spire. If you

didn't get to see it tonight, look for it in reruns.

It IS in re-runs, but definitely worth seeing again.

Anyone interested in how things are built will enjoy it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tekkie(R) wrote:

Kurt Ullman posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I used to wonder why the local FD was on the 3rd floor of the City
County Bldg while the cops and mayor and other honchoes were up around
8 or 9. Turns out the way the building was situated even the city's
tallest ladder would only go to the 3rd floor. Coincidence? I think
not.

Are these administrative offices?

Yeah, but included the Chief and various non-House bound deputy and
assistant Chiefs. All of inspection and most of Investigations. There
was nary a FD person off the 3rd floor.

Remember **** rolls downhill and the fire service is usually the fence that
catches it.

Technically it is actual fire fighters (and mostly the animals on the
Trucks if you can believe them)- at least in the late 70s and early 80s
but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/2014 10:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have retired neighbor who used to be a paramedic for a local FD. He used
to drive the "fly car", often being the first one on site when medical
assistance was called for. Years ago he told that he never stays above the
5th floor of a hotel because that's the highest a FD ladder will reach. I
should ask him if he stills follows that rule.

I think that's wise, to stay closer to the ground. It's
been years since I've been in a hotel or motel. I always
bring my own smoke detector, and hang it on the inside
of the door. I'm not much for night life, so I eat in
the room. Have my clothes right in my suit case in case
I need to exit rapidly. In case of fire, bring wet
towels to breathe through, car keys, flash light. That
kind of stuff.

--
..
Christopher A. Young