Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default OT - PBS Special - "Super Skyscrapers"

wrote in message

As far as 432 Park Ave. is concerned, I would NEVER want to live in a

building where the windows cannot be opened. I don't care how good the
HVAC system is in there!

I hear ya. Sealed windows definitely impact any potential exit strategies.

http://www.google.com/images?q=432+Park+Ave

IIRC, the aerodynamics of such tall buildings pretty much prohibit open
windows. I'll bet there are lots of other reasons, too.

Somehow, looking at the pictures, it seems I.M. Pei was right. Someday many
of our tallest buildings will be converted into our longest ones. It just
seems so intrinsically vertically unstable. But I guess a lot of ancient
columns have survived so there's hope.

The real question is what would you do with an open window at 1,200 feet? I
guess you could stow a paraglider or a repelling kit. Plenty of people
"base jump" off tall structures and survive. Getting the window open or
broken out in these new hi-rises, at least from what I saw last night, won't
be an easy task. I'd at least keep a very long-handled sledge hammer
around. (-:

http://www.elegran.com/news/2013/07/...two-penthouses

The penthouse goes for $95M - wow!

I worked in a very, very tall building once in NYC and I gotta say - they
move a LOT. Some more than others depending on harmonics but on a good,
windy day, you can feel the whole damn structure swaying. It's probably not
where you want to be if a record earthquake hits NYC. I like being close to
the front door which is close to the ground and being able to open a window
and jump out without worrying *too* much about splattering when I hit. (-:

--
Bobby G.