Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default OT - PBS Special - "Super Skyscrapers"

Robert Green posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I have retired neighbor who used to be a paramedic for a local FD. He used
to drive the "fly car", often being the first one on site when medical
assistance was called for. Years ago he told that he never stays above the
5th floor of a hotel because that's the highest a FD ladder will reach. I
should ask him if he stills follows that rule.

I've heard more than one firefighter say something like that.

It's funny that in NYC where my grandparents had to spend what for them was
an enormous amount of money adding a fire escape to their three story house,
there's very little real concern about how people can escape from these
uber-tall buildings. Apartment buildings have external fire escapes,
airplanes have those inflatable slides, big ships have lifeboats and yet in
disasters like the WTC collapse, occupants end up jumping out of windows to
certain death. What's wrong with this picture?

The examples you present are much closer to the ground then skyscrapers.

Tell us how to solve the problem!

--
Tekkie