Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default OT - PBS Special - "Super Skyscrapers"

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

stuff snipped

I used to wonder why the local FD was on the 3rd floor of the City
County Bldg while the cops and mayor and other honchoes were up around
8 or 9. Turns out the way the building was situated even the city's
tallest ladder would only go to the 3rd floor. Coincidence? I think
not. So, when possible I always head down to the nearest fire station
and try to get no higher than where the closest ladder truck reaches.

Hmm. Does sound suspicious. The options for people above ladder rescue
reach are not very good.

It's clear that folks living in that ultra-high rise have traded off easy
escape for a terrific view. The one thing that the WTC collapse brought
home very clearly is that if there's a major event like a plane impacting
the side of the building, people above that floor are likely to be in a
world of hurt. IIRC, the new WTC should survive the kind of impact that
doomed the two WTC towers but I have my doubts. Still, a lot of lessons
*were* learned from 9/11 and the replacement building is demonstrably safer
in many ways.

--
Bobby G.