Senior Member

Default Pentium IV computers have "internal" USB port?

Would an old Dell Pentium IV and an old IBM Pentium IV have an "internal" USB port on their motherboards?

I've been looking for a way to add PS/2 ports to a computer that doesn't have them so that I can continue using my PS/2 KVM switch. Most of the computers I'm seeing nowadays don't have PS/2 ports for keyboard and mouse. So, if I buy a computer that doesn't have PS/2 ports, I can't use it with my KVM switch.

I did find several companies that made PS/2 port cards. The problem was that all of these cards were PCI cards, and nowadays PCI slots on motherboards are becoming rare as well. All new computers have PCIe slots on their motherboards, and you can't use a PCI card in a PCIe slot.

However, this product:

SYBAUSA - SD-PCI-UPS2 USB to PS/2 Adapter (Bracket version)

is neither PCI nor PCIe and will fit in any available motherboard slot.

It, presumably, just needs to be plugged in with a USB cable to an "internal" USB port on the motherboard, or so it appears.

If I don't have an "internal" USB port on my motherboards, can I take out another slot cover and run the USB cable through the opening out of the case to one of the external USB ports?

Last edited by nestork : January 31st 14 at 05:25 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2014 9:21 PM, nestork wrote:

Would an old Dell Pentium IV and an old IBM Pentium IV have an
"internal" USB port on their motherboards?

If you have model numbers, you should be able to look it up.
I've seen it both ways.

(http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=799)

is neither PCI nor PCIe and will fit in any available motherboard slot.

It, presumably, just needs to be plugged in with a USB cable to an
"internal" USB port on the motherboard, or so it appears.

If I don't have an "internal" USB port on my motherboards, can I take
out another slot cover and run the USB cable through the opening out of
the case to one of the external USB ports?

A usb port is a usb port. Just need the right cables.
I've used one like the self-contained external one shown at the bottom
of the page
of your link.
It works mostly, often, usually.

Directly connected PS/2 keyboards with built-in touchpads work flawlessly,
but have random failure to connect at boot or random disconnects
when used with the adapter to USB.

I'm not sure I can blame the adapter dongle, because native USB
keyboards with built-in touchpads seem to have the same problem.

I've got multiple keyboards and they all behave similarly in this
regard. Independent keyboard/mouse work fine with the adapter.

I've not used a USB KVM switch, but have had issues with PS/2 switches.
Problem is that the switch has to emulate the disconnected devices.
So, if you boot a computer with the keyboard switched to the other one,
you get whatever the KVM emulates.
If your mouse or pointing device has more features, they may not
be enabled or cause problems because of the wrong driver.

No idea what happens when you try to connect a KVM switch on the other end
of a ps/2-USB adapter.

Long ago, I dumped all my KVM switches and went to a software
solution called synergy. You just move the mouse past the end of the
screen and it shows up on the other computer's display and the keyboard
goes with it.

This can be a great advantage if you have enhanced pointing device
functions that aren't supported under linux. The windows driver
manages the mouse interface and sends linux on the other machine what
it needs to to the function over the network.
Just be sure you're using the same version of synergy on both machines.
I don't know how many machines you can have, I've never done more than
three at a time.

Another good use for it is wirelessly networked media computer
across the room can be controlled from your local keyboard/mouse.
The disadvantage is that

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 06:21:56 +0100, nestork
wrote:

Would an old Dell Pentium IV and an old IBM Pentium IV have an
"internal" USB port on their motherboards?

I've been looking for a way to add PS/2 ports to a computer that doesn't
have them so that I can continue using my PS/2 KVM switch. Most of the
computers I'm seeing nowadays don't have PS/2 ports for keyboard and
mouse. So, if I buy a computer that doesn't have PS/2 ports, I can't
use it with my KVM switch.

I'm curious why you keep asking here instead a computer group. There
are one or two computer hardware groups which are still running.

I did find several companies that made PS/2 port cards. The problem was
that all of these cards were PCI cards, and nowadays PCI slots on
motherboards are becoming rare as well. All new computers have PCIe
slots on their motherboards, and you can't use a PCI card in a PCIe
slot.

However, this product:

'SYBAUSA - SD-PCI-UPS2 USB to PS/2 Adapter (Bracket version)'
(http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=799)

is neither PCI nor PCIe and will fit in any available motherboard slot.

I think you mean it doesn't use a slot.

It, presumably, just needs to be plugged in with a USB cable to an
"internal" USB port on the motherboard, or so it appears.

If it can work plugged into an internal USB port, it will also work with
an external USB port. Just cut a little hole somewhere and wrap the
sharp edge with tape or something and there you go.

They also sell USB cards. I have one, with USB2, on a computer that
came originally only with USB1, and it had 4, or maybe 2, USB ports
coming out of the bracket, and one more USB port on the card, iow
internal. I don't remember what kind of slot it fit in, but I guess it
wasn't the very newest kind, since this was designed a) for people who
needed more USB ports (but didn't want to use a powered whatchamacallit)
or b) for people like me who only had USB 1.1.

If I don't have an "internal" USB port on my motherboards, can I take
out another slot cover and run the USB cable through the opening out of
the case to one of the external USB ports?

Yes.

And you're right. You can omit the cover entirely. Heck I've been
running for years with no case cover on, and except for maybe air flow
and cooling there's been no problem. No outside radiation causing a
problem.

BTW. how much does it cost? If it's cheap enough, I would want one.

Even though it doesn't list Win7 or 8, it still might work for them.
That's true in general but here the only interface is the USB port,
which I assume is pretty similar in win7 and 8. (not that I have any
plans to use either.) But someone on the hardware group is likely to
know more about this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 31, 2014 12:21:56 AM UTC-5, nestork wrote:
[...]

Yes, where the USB port is physically located doesn't change
the functionality.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/31/2014 06:30 AM, wrote:
Xe to one of the external USB ports?

Yes, where the USB port is physically located doesn't change
the functionality.

Yep.

Absolutely correct.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I use this kind of adapter for the exact same purpose.

http://amzn.to/1dSkaiG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-01-31, nestork wrote:

I've been looking for a way to add PS/2 ports to a computer that doesn't
have them so that I can continue using my PS/2 KVM switch. Most of the
computers I'm seeing nowadays don't have PS/2 ports for keyboard and
mouse. So, if I buy a computer that doesn't have PS/2 ports, I can't
use it with my KVM switch.

I still use old P4 desktops with linux. Since I also have no USB
kybrd or mouse, I bought this to hook up my PS/2 input devices to my
new rasberry pi's USB port. Works flawlessly.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/971

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/31/2014 07:56 AM, Lab Lover wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 06:21:56 +0100, nestork
wX
is neither PCI nor PCIe and will fit in any available motherboard slot.

It, presumably, just needs to be plugged in with a USB cable to an
"internal" USB port on the motherboard, or so it appears.

If I don't have an "internal" USB port on my motherboards, can I take
out another slot cover and run the USB cable through the opening out of
the case to one of the external USB ports?

I use this kind of adapter for the exact same purpose.

http://amzn.to/1dSkaiG

$3.30 with free shipping...sheesh, way to go!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-01-31, philo* wrote:

http://amzn.to/1dSkaiG

$3.30 with free shipping...sheesh, way to go!

Yep. Beats mine.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

nestork

Migrate those old system images into a virtual machine using Oracle VirtualBox and run them on your laptop .

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Just buy a Startech usb2ps2 adapter from Startech - they are under
$15 and allow you to connect PS2 kbd and mouse to a single USB port.
Posted to alt.home.repair

(
http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=799)

is neither PCI nor PCIe and will fit in any available motherboard slot.

It, presumably, just needs to be plugged in with a USB cable to an
"internal" USB port on the motherboard, or so it appears.

If I don't have an "internal" USB port on my motherboards, can I take
out another slot cover and run the USB cable through the opening out of
the case to one of the external USB ports?

Just buy a Startech usb2ps2 adapter from Startech - they are under
$15 and allow you to connect PS2 kbd and mouse to a single USB port.

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+...l=np&source=hp
Senior Member

Thanks for trying to help guys, but I contacted the manufacturer of my KVM switch (IOGear) and they said that simply using a USB to PS/2 adapter wouldn't work. They said I'd have to provide PS/2 ports for keyboard and mouse on the new computer somehow.

I think the Synergy software solution might be fine for some, but I have two computers; a business computer and an internet surfing computer. I'm concerned that without the two computers being physically separated, any virus or malicious software I get onto the surfing computer could infect my business computer as well. This is an important issue with me that I'm not willing to compromise on.

What groups are there on usenet that are dedicated to computer hardware issues?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 23:14:25 +0100, nestork
wrote:

Thanks for trying to help guys, but I contacted the manufacturer of my
KVM switch (IOGear) and they said that simply using a USB to PS/2
adapter wouldn't work. They said I'd have to provide PS/2 ports for
keyboard and mouse on the new computer somehow.

I think the Synergy software solution might be fine for some, but I have
two computers; a business computer and an internet surfing computer.
I'm concerned that without the two computers being physically separated,
any virus or malicious software I get onto the surfing computer could
infect my business computer as well. This is an important issue with me
that I'm not willing to compromise on.

What groups are there on usenet that are dedicated to computer hardware
issues?

alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
Thanks for trying to help guys, but I contacted the manufacturer of my
KVM switch (IOGear) and they said that simply using a USB to PS/2
adapter wouldn't work. They said I'd have to provide PS/2 ports for
keyboard and mouse on the new computer somehow.

I think the Synergy software solution might be fine for some, but I have
two computers; a business computer and an internet surfing computer.
I'm concerned that without the two computers being physically separated,
any virus or malicious software I get onto the surfing computer could
infect my business computer as well. This is an important issue with me
that I'm not willing to compromise on.

What groups are there on usenet that are dedicated to computer hardware
issues?

Hi,
Then just have two separate computer. Pentium IV pretty well belongs to
recycle bin. Motherboard running P4 cpu is pretty well obsolete.(for an
example look at max. memory size it can support) Many
new things(hardware/software) won't run on it. I always keep up-to-date
my book keeping box, the cost is claimed as business expense on year end
tax return.(you mentioned business) Rest of desk tops, lap tops in the
house, all have Linux(Mint or Ubuntu), W7 Ultimate or W8 Pro dual boot.
Sooner or later, time will come you get stuck with what you are running.
Impossible to upgrade, can't run apps. with new stuffs,etc. At least one
computer should be kept up-to-date with good back up. In the long run,
when you look back you will have wasted more money and time trying to
hang on to what you have now.

We run small retail business since we retired as a source of
supplemental income(our pocket money). We think you spend money to make
money in business. Again sounds like you are in some sort of business too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thanks for trying to help guys, but I contacted the manufacturer of my
KVM switch (IOGear) and they said that simply using a USB to PS/2
adapter wouldn't work. They said I'd have to provide PS/2 ports for
keyboard and mouse on the new computer somehow.

I think the Synergy software solution might be fine for some, but I have
two computers; a business computer and an internet surfing computer.
I'm concerned that without the two computers being physically separated,
any virus or malicious software I get onto the surfing computer could
infect my business computer as well. This is an important issue with me
that I'm not willing to compromise on.

What groups are there on usenet that are dedicated to computer hardware
issues?

The adapters work with all my KVM switches including the one IOGear that I own.
$3, what's to lose?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thanks for trying to help guys, but I contacted the manufacturer of my
KVM switch (IOGear) and they said that simply using a USB to PS/2
adapter wouldn't work. They said I'd have to provide PS/2 ports for
keyboard and mouse on the new computer somehow.

I think the Synergy software solution might be fine for some, but I have
two computers; a business computer and an internet surfing computer.
I'm concerned that without the two computers being physically separated,
any virus or malicious software I get onto the surfing computer could
infect my business computer as well. This is an important issue with me
that I'm not willing to compromise on.

What groups are there on usenet that are dedicated to computer hardware
issues?

The adapters work with all my KVM switches including the one IOGear that I own.
$3, what's to lose?

I agree. I think the $3 gamble is worth it.

I have very rarely found anyone at "tech support" to know what they are
talking about.

I guess because I was bored I contact a mfg's tech support and asked
them the same question about six or eight times.

I got (at random it seemed) one of a total of three different answers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I couldn't agree with you more. My rule of thumb is: Tech support isn't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/31/2014 05:14 PM, Lab Lover wrote:
On X

I agree. I think the $3 gamble is worth it.

I have very rarely found anyone at "tech support" to know what they are
talking about.

I guess because I was bored I contact a mfg's tech support and asked
them the same question about six or eight times.

I got (at random it seemed) one of a total of three different answers.

I couldn't agree with you more. My rule of thumb is: Tech support isn't.

If you talk to someone in person they just read from a sheet.

From the experience I had by email, I think the replies were just
auto-generated.

Once in a while there are exceptions I am told.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thanks for trying to help guys, but I contacted the manufacturer of my
KVM switch (IOGear) and they said that simply using a USB to PS/2
adapter wouldn't work. They said I'd have to provide PS/2 ports for
keyboard and mouse on the new computer somehow.

I think the Synergy software solution might be fine for some, but I have
two computers; a business computer and an internet surfing computer.
I'm concerned that without the two computers being physically separated,
any virus or malicious software I get onto the surfing computer could
infect my business computer as well. This is an important issue with me
that I'm not willing to compromise on.

What groups are there on usenet that are dedicated to computer hardware
issues?

As long as ONE computer has ps2 ports, the other one CAN use an
adapter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 1/31/2014 2:14 PM, nestork wrote:
Thanks for trying to help guys, but I contacted the manufacturer of my
KVM switch (IOGear) and they said that simply using a USB to PS/2
adapter wouldn't work. They said I'd have to provide PS/2 ports for
keyboard and mouse on the new computer somehow.

I doubt that they know what they're talking about.

You're unlikely to find a PS/2 card. Even the PCI card was probably a
PCI to USB chip and a USB to PS/2 chip.

The PS/2 ports were in the 8042 keyboard controller on the motherboard
(and the 8042 was usually inside the SuperI/O chip) and used IRQ1 and
12. You can't do an exact legacy PS/2 port on PCI or USB, just as you
can't do an exact legacy serial or parallel port. But the KVM shouldn't
care about any of this.

Since USB to PS2 adapters are so cheap you might as well try one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some new M/B still have one or two PCI slots.
Posted to alt.home.repair

sms wrote:
On 1/31/2014 2:14 PM, nestork wrote:
Thanks for trying to help guys, but I contacted the manufacturer of my
KVM switch (IOGear) and they said that simply using a USB to PS/2
adapter wouldn't work. They said I'd have to provide PS/2 ports for
keyboard and mouse on the new computer somehow.

I doubt that they know what they're talking about.

You're unlikely to find a PS/2 card. Even the PCI card was probably a
PCI to USB chip and a USB to PS/2 chip.

The PS/2 ports were in the 8042 keyboard controller on the motherboard
(and the 8042 was usually inside the SuperI/O chip) and used IRQ1 and
12. You can't do an exact legacy PS/2 port on PCI or USB, just as you
can't do an exact legacy serial or parallel port. But the KVM shouldn't
care about any of this.

Since USB to PS2 adapters are so cheap you might as well try one.

Hi,
There is even a PS2 to converter converter.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Lover View Post
The adapters work with all my KVM switches including the one IOGear that I own. $3, what's to lose?
You have a point, Lab Lover.

For the few bucks it'll costs me, I'd be stupid NOT to try.

Last edited by nestork : February 1st 14 at 04:48 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2014 11:21 PM, nestork wrote:

[...]

I do not think I have seen a direct answer, yet. Does either machine
have native USB and if so, does it have both front and rear ports?
The units with front ports usually have motherboard headers that one
may repurpose and/or adapt. Make and "model" of your PC's would be of
more help. However, if you do not have native USB then you are in the
card hunt. I imagine that they are still available, someplace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Feb 2014 05:46:25 +0100, nestork
wrote:

Lab Lover;3190845 Wrote:

The adapters work with all my KVM switches including the one IOGear that
I own. $3, what's to lose?

You have a point, Lab Lover.

For the few bucks it'll costs me, I'd be stupid NOT to try.

Please come back and let us know how you make out!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/31/2014 05:14 PM, Lab Lover wrote:

[snip]

I couldn't agree with you more. My rule of thumb is: Tech support isn't.

So I usually avoid "tech support". The last time I had to (mobile
hotspot) I got people with strong Indian accents who ignored 90% of what
I said, seemed to know very little about the product, and gave no
helpful advice. Then I'd be cut off, or (a couple of times switched to
Sprint). The Sprint person was easy to talk to but this is not a Sprint
device.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"HUMANISM: an exaltation of freedom, but one limited by our need to
exercise it as an integral part of nature and society." [John Ralston
Saul]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Lab Lover;3190845 Wrote:

The adapters work with all my KVM switches including the one IOGear that
I own. $3, what's to lose?

You have a point, Lab Lover.

For the few bucks it'll costs me, I'd be stupid NOT to try.

Please come back and let us know how you make out!

Well, I had to hook 2 computers to the same monitor and
keyboard/mouse at a clients yesterday - only had a ps2 KVM and only
one computer had ps2 connections. I connected the ps2 mouse and
keyboard to the KVM, and the kvm to the computer with PS2 ports,
started it, then connected the kvm to the new computer with ps2/usb
adapter plugs (the little purple and green adpters that used to come
with kbds and mice), switched it to the second position, and started
the second computer - no problem. Switches back and forth perfectly.

So it CAN work.