Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Pentium IV computers have "internal" USB port?

On 1/31/2014 2:14 PM, nestork wrote:
Thanks for trying to help guys, but I contacted the manufacturer of my
KVM switch (IOGear) and they said that simply using a USB to PS/2
adapter wouldn't work. They said I'd have to provide PS/2 ports for
keyboard and mouse on the new computer somehow.

I doubt that they know what they're talking about.

You're unlikely to find a PS/2 card. Even the PCI card was probably a
PCI to USB chip and a USB to PS/2 chip.

The PS/2 ports were in the 8042 keyboard controller on the motherboard
(and the 8042 was usually inside the SuperI/O chip) and used IRQ1 and
12. You can't do an exact legacy PS/2 port on PCI or USB, just as you
can't do an exact legacy serial or parallel port. But the KVM shouldn't
care about any of this.

Since USB to PS2 adapters are so cheap you might as well try one.