Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pentium IV computers have "internal" USB port?

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 06:21:56 +0100, nestork
wrote:

Would an old Dell Pentium IV and an old IBM Pentium IV have an
"internal" USB port on their motherboards?

I've been looking for a way to add PS/2 ports to a computer that doesn't
have them so that I can continue using my PS/2 KVM switch. Most of the
computers I'm seeing nowadays don't have PS/2 ports for keyboard and
mouse. So, if I buy a computer that doesn't have PS/2 ports, I can't
use it with my KVM switch.

I did find several companies that made PS/2 port cards. The problem was
that all of these cards were PCI cards, and nowadays PCI slots on
motherboards are becoming rare as well. All new computers have PCIe
slots on their motherboards, and you can't use a PCI card in a PCIe
slot.

However, this product:

'SYBAUSA - SD-PCI-UPS2 USB to PS/2 Adapter (Bracket version)'
(http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=799)

is neither PCI nor PCIe and will fit in any available motherboard slot.

It, presumably, just needs to be plugged in with a USB cable to an
"internal" USB port on the motherboard, or so it appears.

If I don't have an "internal" USB port on my motherboards, can I take
out another slot cover and run the USB cable through the opening out of
the case to one of the external USB ports?

Just buy a Startech usb2ps2 adapter from Startech - they are under
$15 and allow you to connect PS2 kbd and mouse to a single USB port.