Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Senior Member

Default Pentium IV computers have "internal" USB port?

Would an old Dell Pentium IV and an old IBM Pentium IV have an "internal" USB port on their motherboards?

I've been looking for a way to add PS/2 ports to a computer that doesn't have them so that I can continue using my PS/2 KVM switch. Most of the computers I'm seeing nowadays don't have PS/2 ports for keyboard and mouse. So, if I buy a computer that doesn't have PS/2 ports, I can't use it with my KVM switch.

I did find several companies that made PS/2 port cards. The problem was that all of these cards were PCI cards, and nowadays PCI slots on motherboards are becoming rare as well. All new computers have PCIe slots on their motherboards, and you can't use a PCI card in a PCIe slot.

However, this product:

SYBAUSA - SD-PCI-UPS2 USB to PS/2 Adapter (Bracket version)

is neither PCI nor PCIe and will fit in any available motherboard slot.

It, presumably, just needs to be plugged in with a USB cable to an "internal" USB port on the motherboard, or so it appears.

If I don't have an "internal" USB port on my motherboards, can I take out another slot cover and run the USB cable through the opening out of the case to one of the external USB ports?

Last edited by nestork : January 31st 14 at 05:25 AM