Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OOPS! Tenant thaws a frozen pipe

[...]

“The tenant had been thawing pipes underneath the house in the crawl
space and it burned up the plumbing wall into the attic; the fire was
inside the walls,” Fire Chief Paul Maplethorpe said.

“It burned through the roof rafters and the floor joists,” he said,
adding that firefighters at first entered the home, but encountered
spongy floors because of fire in the crawl space."

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/24690645-418/house-fire-caused-by-tenant-thawing-frozen-pipes.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/03/2014 12:08 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

“The tenant had been thawing pipes underneath the house in the crawl
space and it burned up the plumbing wall into the attic; the fire was
inside the walls,” Fire Chief Paul Maplethorpe said.

“It burned through the roof rafters and the floor joists,” he said,
adding that firefighters at first entered the home, but encountered
spongy floors because of fire in the crawl space."

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/24690645-418/house-fire-caused-by-tenant-thawing-frozen-pipes.html

Oh boy. I know someone is is not going to be getting their security
deposit back.

Not too far from here, the fire department extinguished a blaze in a store.
An hour later they were back to extinguish a blaze in an adjacent store...
it had spread through a common space above the drop ceiling.

oops.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2014 1:08 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

“The tenant had been thawing pipes underneath the house in the crawl
space and it burned up the plumbing wall into the attic; the fire was
inside the walls,” Fire Chief Paul Maplethorpe said.

“It burned through the roof rafters and the floor joists,” he said,
adding that firefighters at first entered the home, but encountered
spongy floors because of fire in the crawl space."

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/24690645-418/house-fire-caused-by-tenant-thawing-frozen-pipes.html

You know, that kind of thing happens year after
year. You might think that people would find a
safer way.

Reminds me, I need to leave a faucet dripping
tonight since it will be zero and wind chill.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 12:22:05 -0600, philo* wrote:

[...]

When the first group of these townhouses were built, builder didn't put
walls in attic. Fire and burglars could go from one house to the other.
Not that that happened. Someone noticed and he was forced to put walls
in, floor to roof. By the time they built my house, he'd learned his
lesson.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2014 5:01 PM, micky wrote:
When the first group of these townhouses were built, builder didn't put
walls in attic. Fire and burglars could go from one house to the other.
Not that that happened. Someone noticed and he was forced to put walls
in, floor to roof. By the time they built my house, he'd learned his
lesson.

My father, RIP, attended college at Antioch,
Ohio. They had a dorm building with about
half the attic missing firewall. Something
caught fire, and burned down both sides of
the dorm. The FD did what they could, and
drained the town's water tower in the process.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 10:08:08 -0800, Oren wrote:

[...]

“The tenant had been thawing pipes underneath the house in the crawl
space and it burned up the plumbing wall into the attic; the fire was
inside the walls,” Fire Chief Paul Maplethorpe said.

“It burned through the roof rafters and the floor joists,” he said,
adding that firefighters at first entered the home, but encountered
spongy floors because of fire in the crawl space."

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/24690645-418/house-fire-caused-by-tenant-thawing-frozen-pipes.html

It's not unusual that some dufus lights his house on fire, this time
of year. It happened in our neighborhood several years ago (40?). A
couple of families were made homeless on Christmas morning. Not good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
[...]

I spent 2 years at the USCG Training Center on Governor's Island off the
south end of Manhattan.

A major portion of the training center, including most of the enlisted
men's barracks, was build in the converted stables that the army used to
use. Note the arched openings that now contain windows. That's where the
stables were. The enlisted army men slept above the stables. The smell must
have been awful. By the time the USCG took over the island, the stables had
been converted to offices.

http://www.dave-lori-home.com/tracen%20copy.jpg

That picture probably shows way less than 1/4 of the very long building.
The attic was one long open space. Part of our duty was fire prevention
walks of the entire building, attic included, with a Detex Clock, opening
little key boxes, sticking the key in the clock which punched a little hole
in a round disk marking what time we reached each station.

http://www.centraltimeclock.com/imag...rge_newman.png

Midnight walks through that long, barely lit, dirty attic was not a fun
time. It was pretty friggin' spooky up there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2014 1:21 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

That brings back memories. I used to walk Detex rounds
at a place that did metal smelting. I used to carry a
Detex clock much like that one. It wasn't as spooky as
midnight in the stable, but it was memorable. Even a
good flash light might not have taken all the spooky
out of those barracks.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thousands of mobile homes in GOP red states go up all the time due to cheap wiring and space heaters... those are the people who don't want nasty gvmt oversight but expect the unionized fire departure to show on time.

Darwinism .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 06:21:08 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

micky wrote:
[...]

I tried scratching the screen, but didn't smell anything. Must be a
defective monitor. But I'll take your word for it.

That picture probably shows way less than 1/4 of the very long building.
The attic was one long open space. Part of our duty was fire prevention
walks of the entire building, attic included, with a Detex Clock, opening
little key boxes, sticking the key in the clock which punched a little hole
in a round disk marking what time we reached each station.

http://www.centraltimeclock.com/imag...rge_newman.png

Midnight walks through that long, barely lit, dirty attic was not a fun
time. It was pretty friggin' spooky up there.

I had a job as a nigh****chman for about 6 months, once at a place with
a clock like that.

I made my rounds, but one day they told me not to come in. While
another guy was on duty, 2 or 3 guys were robbing the place. It was a
fabric dying place in Queens, and they had opened a window and were
throwing bigggg bolts of cloth down to a truck on the street below.
From one of the rooms I walked through. A transit policeman on his
way home from work saw it and they were all arrested. But we were
fired. I wonder what they would have done if they had
come when I was on duty, and I found them. I guess they would have
tied me up, and the next guard or the next shift would have found me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 06:21:08 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

..

http://www.centraltimeclock.com/imag...rge_newman.png

Midnight walks through that long, barely lit, dirty attic was not a fun
time. It was pretty friggin' spooky up there.

I had a job as a nigh****chman for about 6 months, once at a place with
a clock like that.

I made my rounds, but one day they told me not to come in. While
another guy was on duty, 2 or 3 guys were robbing the place. It was a
fabric dying place in Queens, and they had opened a window and were
throwing bigggg bolts of cloth down to a truck on the street below.
From one of the rooms I walked through. A transit policeman on his
way home from work saw it and they were all arrested. But we were
fired. I wonder what they would have done if they had
come when I was on duty, and I found them. I guess they would have
tied me up, and the next guard or the next shift would have found me.

Huh? They fired you because the place was robbed when you weren't even
working?

There's got to be more to the story than that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

.

http://www.centraltimeclock.com/imag...rge_newman.png

Midnight walks through that long, barely lit, dirty attic was not a fun
time. It was pretty friggin' spooky up there.

I had a job as a nigh****chman for about 6 months, once at a place with
a clock like that.

I made my rounds, but one day they told me not to come in. While
another guy was on duty, 2 or 3 guys were robbing the place. It was a
fabric dying place in Queens, and they had opened a window and were
throwing bigggg bolts of cloth down to a truck on the street below.
From one of the rooms I walked through. A transit policeman on his
way home from work saw it and they were all arrested. But we were
fired. I wonder what they would have done if they had
come when I was on duty, and I found them. I guess they would have
tied me up, and the next guard or the next shift would have found me.

Huh? They fired you because the place was robbed when you weren't even
working?

There's got to be more to the story than that.

No. They needed two or three fewer employees after they lost that
account. Maybe another account was ending too.

I'd never done anything wrong at work, and they had never complained to
me about my work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2014 8:20 PM, micky wrote:

I had a job as a nigh****chman for about 6 months, once at a place with
a clock like that.

I made my rounds, but one day they told me not to come in. While
another guy was on duty, 2 or 3 guys were robbing the place. It was a
fabric dying place in Queens, and they had opened a window and were
throwing bigggg bolts of cloth down to a truck on the street below.
From one of the rooms I walked through. A transit policeman on his
way home from work saw it and they were all arrested. But we were
fired. I wonder what they would have done if they had
come when I was on duty, and I found them. I guess they would have
tied me up, and the next guard or the next shift would have found me.

When I had my watchman job, my job title was "visual
deterrant". and "observe and report". I'm not big on
that kind of stuff, but it paid money. Fortunately,
everyone knew I was harmless, and left me alone.

I was in a bank that got robbed, one time. Pretty much
found out about it, after the fact.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 01:06:47 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/4/2014 8:20 PM, micky wrote:

I had a job as a nigh****chman for about 6 months, once at a place with
a clock like that.

I made my rounds, but one day they told me not to come in. While
another guy was on duty, 2 or 3 guys were robbing the place. It was a
fabric dying place in Queens, and they had opened a window and were
throwing bigggg bolts of cloth down to a truck on the street below.
From one of the rooms I walked through. A transit policeman on his
way home from work saw it and they were all arrested. But we were
fired. I wonder what they would have done if they had
come when I was on duty, and I found them. I guess they would have
tied me up, and the next guard or the next shift would have found me.

When I had my watchman job, my job title was "visual
deterrant". and "observe and report". I'm not big on

I don't think they went into that much detail with me. I did have a
hat, a cap. I think that was all. One job, at the Quality Egg
company just south of the Holland Tunnel in Manhattan, I wasn't even in
the building. I was just suppposed ot be outside. In the summer.
Sometimes I sat in the car. Sometimes I practiced my elocution and
speech making. There was no one around to hear me.

that kind of stuff, but it paid money. Fortunately,
everyone knew I was harmless, and left me alone.

I was in a bank that got robbed, one time. Pretty much
found out about it, after the fact.

LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/4/2014 8:20 PM, micky wrote:

I had a job as a nigh****chman for about 6 months, once at a place with
a clock like that.

I made my rounds, but one day they told me not to come in. While
another guy was on duty, 2 or 3 guys were robbing the place. It was a
fabric dying place in Queens, and they had opened a window and were
throwing bigggg bolts of cloth down to a truck on the street below.
From one of the rooms I walked through. A transit policeman on his
way home from work saw it and they were all arrested. But we were
fired. I wonder what they would have done if they had
come when I was on duty, and I found them. I guess they would have
tied me up, and the next guard or the next shift would have found me.

When I had my watchman job, my job title was "visual
deterrant". and "observe and report". I'm not big on
that kind of stuff, but it paid money. Fortunately,
everyone knew I was harmless, and left me alone.

I was in a bank that got robbed, one time. Pretty much
found out about it, after the fact.

A long time ago I worked as a teller for a very busy commercial bank in
NYC. I had gotten pretty good at timing who came to my window from the
single S line - the pretty girl, the small business owners that I liked,
etc.

One day I was the most senior teller on the line, with a few rookie tellers
to the left and right of me. I spotted a person pretty far back in the line
who looked suspicious. I kept my eye on him and did my best to time it so
that he would come to my window. I had it timed almost perfect - until the
customer just before him decided to go see a platform person instead of a
teller. The suspicious guy went to one of the new girls a few windows down
and a different customer showed up at my window. Before I could I say
excuse me and walk down the line to the rookie teller, hoping to cause a
distraction, he had already handed her a note, stuffed a small bag with
money and was headed out of the door.

I could see by the look on the young teller's face that she was pretty
shook up, so I went asked if she had just been robbed and she said yes and
broke down in tears. I was able to give the police a pretty good
description because I had been watching the guy for a while, taking mental
notes related to height, build, facial features, etc. I recall that the
teller had managed to give him the exploding dye pack, but it was so long
ago I don't recall of he was ever caught.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2014 6:03 PM, Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBillie
on welfare wrote:
Thousands of mobile homes in GOP red states go up

all the time due to cheap wiring and space heaters...

those are the people who don't want nasty gvmt oversight

but expect the unionized fire departure to show on time.

Darwinism .

An old joke with the volunteer fire department in rural Louisiana:

We always get there in time to save the foundation and fireplace.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OOPS! security guard with out instructions

On 1/5/2014 10:34 AM, micky wrote:
On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 01:06:47 -0500, Stormin Mormon
When I had my watchman job, my job title was "visual
deterrant". and "observe and report". I'm not big on

I don't think they went into that much detail with me. I did have a
hat, a cap. I think that was all. One job, at the Quality Egg
company just south of the Holland Tunnel in Manhattan, I wasn't even in
the building. I was just suppposed ot be outside. In the summer.
Sometimes I sat in the car. Sometimes I practiced my elocution and
speech making. There was no one around to hear me.

that kind of stuff, but it paid money. Fortunately,
everyone knew I was harmless, and left me alone.

I arrived one time at a building, and found it locked
shut. Way before cell phones. I was walking around and
banging on doors, and guy across the street came over
to tell me no one would be there. I spent the shift in
my car with the dome light on, wondering how long the
battery would last, or if it would leave me stranded.

Some people and companies hand out assignments, with
no training. I can remember other "lack of training"
jobs I've had.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OOPS! bank robber....

On 1/5/2014 2:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Bummer, that's not good that the new girl got the
robber. Ah, well. Glad you had situational awareness.
The robbery I had, was late in the shift. I was tired,
and not paying much attention. A mistake I'll regret
for a while. They had cameras. The other security guy
and myself could not agree on description of the guy.
Wonder if he was in fatigue fog, also? Or maybe he was
totally right, and I was wong.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 19:18:35 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I've known a few bank robbers. Talked with them. One I knew in
Florida doing state time and then coming to federal prison. I knew
the face, not his name for certain. When I asked, he said "I know
you". He caught a 25 year sentence that time.

In the same federal prison I met the bank robber from Boston. He was
a hoot. Used to catch him trying to bring fried chicken wings on the
cell block from his kitchen job. Then one day he shows up drunk. I
told him to go to his cell and not leave it. This clown vomited all up
and down the second tier range. I told the crooks next door to clean
and don't let him out.

One day I told the guy. "Hey. I'll remove the bunk beds in your cell,
install a park bench and give you some newspaper to cover with for
worth." He was fond on wine, which may have some factor in a Boston
bank robbery

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was in a bank that got robbed, one time. Pretty much
found out about it, after the fact.

Surely you would recognize the "Branch Robber"

http://www.trutv.com/video/tsg-presents/branch-robber.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OOPS! crook doesn't quite get away with it!

wrote:

I was in a bank that got robbed, one time. Pretty much
found out about it, after the fact.

Surely you would recognize the "Branch Robber"

http://www.trutv.com/video/tsg-presents/branch-robber.html

Gee, can't imagine that.

I don't remember the rest of the story, but a robber
one time wrapped his head in a towel, and told the
clerk it was an invisibility shield. I think this was
a donut shop, with a couple cops eating. She played
along, said she could hear the voice but not see the
guy. She kept waving the money back and forth,
pretending to give it to him, but keeping it just out
of his reach. Wish I had a video of that, must have
been a hoot.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OOPS! unruly tenants at the pen

On 1/5/2014 3:53 PM, Oren wrote:

I've known a few bank robbers. Talked with them. One I knew in
Florida doing state time and then coming to federal prison. I knew
the face, not his name for certain. When I asked, he said "I know
you". He caught a 25 year sentence that time.

In the same federal prison I met the bank robber from Boston. He was
a hoot. Used to catch him trying to bring fried chicken wings on the
cell block from his kitchen job. Then one day he shows up drunk. I
told him to go to his cell and not leave it. This clown vomited all up
and down the second tier range. I told the crooks next door to clean
and don't let him out.

One day I told the guy. "Hey. I'll remove the bunk beds in your cell,
install a park bench and give you some newspaper to cover with for
worth." He was fond on wine, which may have some factor in a Boston
bank robbery

News paper and cardboard boxes, and he'd be right
at home. I think the park bench sounds good, also.

Hey, we got to be sensetive to peoples handicaps.
When you have Otis Campbell in custody, have to
make allowances. And farm him out to Aunt Bee.
Anyone remember that episode? I laughed, and laughed.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 16:28:16 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/5/2014 3:53 PM, Oren wrote:

[...]

I did go as far as telling the guy I would knock the windows out of
his cell, so he would feel like he lived in Boston during a winter
storm. G

Hey, we got to be sensetive to peoples handicaps.
When you have Otis Campbell in custody, have to
make allowances. And farm him out to Aunt Bee.
Anyone remember that episode? I laughed, and laughed.

Leave Otis out of this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was in a bank that got robbed, one time. Pretty much
found out about it, after the fact.

Surely you would recognize the "Branch Robber"

http://www.trutv.com/video/tsg-presents/branch-robber.html

Gee, can't imagine that.

I don't remember the rest of the story, but a robber
one time wrapped his head in a towel, and told the
clerk it was an invisibility shield. I think this was
a donut shop, with a couple cops eating. She played
along, said she could hear the voice but not see the
guy. She kept waving the money back and forth,
pretending to give it to him, but keeping it just out
of his reach. Wish I had a video of that, must have
been a hoot.

I went to a Dunkin Donuts several years ago on my way to work. It was
about 5:30 AM this winter morning and there were more cops than
customers inside. I asked one of the cops what was going on and I was
told the muffler shop next door had been robbed earlier in the
morning. The crook waited around for a while, came in to Dunkin
Donuts, bought a donut and coffee and paid for it all in coins that
were taken from the muffler shop's cash register. That was all he got
was coins.

However, on his way out he decided he didn't want to walk home so he
jumped into one of DD's customers pickup in the parking lot that was
left running and sped away.

Well... it was winter and the road conditions weren't ideal and less
than a mile away the crook stuffed the truck into a ditch and got
stuck. He just waited a short time in the truck, maybe dining on his
recent purchase, and he got his ride to a different home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 13:10:06 -0700, SteveB wrote:

An old joke with the volunteer fire department in rural Louisiana:

We always get there in time to save the foundation and fireplace.

Steve

Paddling a Cajun Pero?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2014 4:49 PM, Oren wrote:

News paper and cardboard boxes, and he'd be right
at home. I think the park bench sounds good, also.

I did go as far as telling the guy I would knock the windows out of
his cell, so he would feel like he lived in Boston during a winter
storm. G

SM: Now, that's accomodations.

Hey, we got to be sensetive to peoples handicaps.
When you have Otis Campbell in custody, have to
make allowances. And farm him out to Aunt Bee.
Anyone remember that episode? I laughed, and laughed.

Leave Otis out of this.

SM: Was Otis too well mannered to compare to
the residents of your facility? I remember Otis
had his issues, but he was a pretty high class
gentleman.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 17:20:07 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I did go as far as telling the guy I would knock the windows out of
his cell, so he would feel like he lived in Boston during a winter
storm. G

SM: Now, that's accomodations.

Well, it goes to show that I am an equal opportunity penologist.

--
"Trust me, I'm from the government. I'm here to help."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2014 12:21 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
micky wrote:
[...]

Converted horse garages. The soldiers could slide down a pole and jump
on the horse when the alarm sounded. It could happen! ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

“The tenant had been thawing pipes underneath the house in the crawl
space and it burned up the plumbing wall into the attic; the fire was
inside the walls,” Fire Chief Paul Maplethorpe said.

“It burned through the roof rafters and the floor joists,” he said,
adding that firefighters at first entered the home, but encountered
spongy floors because of fire in the crawl space."

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/24690645-418/house-fire-caused-by-tenant-thawing-frozen-pipes.html

Oh boy. I know someone is is not going to be getting their security
deposit back.

With the cold blast in NYS, I'm guessing that will happen
to someone, this week. Not far from me, in Penfield, NY,
a trailer burned down a couple days ago. Killed three people
including eight year old boy. He got out, but went back in
to help rescue others.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Frozen Condensate pipe John UK diy 16 December 8th 10 08:19 PM
Frozen condensate pipe - how to prevent Thomas UK diy 9 November 27th 10 05:05 PM
Frozen Pipe Steve Bilton[_3_] UK diy 15 January 15th 10 03:43 PM
Frozen pipe question Donna Home Repair 9 April 13th 06 05:14 PM
Repair A Frozen Pipe CRCoupons.com Home Repair 1 September 23rd 05 01:50 PM