Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OOPS! Tenant thaws a frozen pipe

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 06:21:08 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

micky wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 12:22:05 -0600, philo wrote:

On 01/03/2014 12:08 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

?The tenant had been thawing pipes underneath the house in the crawl
space and it burned up the plumbing wall into the attic; the fire was
inside the walls,? Fire Chief Paul Maplethorpe said.

?It burned through the roof rafters and the floor joists,? he said,
adding that firefighters at first entered the home, but encountered
spongy floors because of fire in the crawl space."

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/24690645-418/house-fire-caused-by-tenant-thawing-frozen-pipes.html

Oh boy. I know someone is is not going to be getting their security
deposit back.

Not too far from here, the fire department extinguished a blaze in a store.
An hour later they were back to extinguish a blaze in an adjacent store...
it had spread through a common space above the drop ceiling.

oops.

When the first group of these townhouses were built, builder didn't put
walls in attic. Fire and burglars could go from one house to the other.
Not that that happened. Someone noticed and he was forced to put walls
in, floor to roof. By the time they built my house, he'd learned his
lesson.

I spent 2 years at the USCG Training Center on Governor's Island off the
south end of Manhattan.

A major portion of the training center, including most of the enlisted
men's barracks, was build in the converted stables that the army used to
use. Note the arched openings that now contain windows. That's where the
stables were. The enlisted army men slept above the stables. The smell must
have been awful. By the time the USCG took over the island, the stables had
been converted to offices.

http://www.dave-lori-home.com/tracen%20copy.jpg

I tried scratching the screen, but didn't smell anything. Must be a
defective monitor. But I'll take your word for it.

That picture probably shows way less than 1/4 of the very long building.
The attic was one long open space. Part of our duty was fire prevention
walks of the entire building, attic included, with a Detex Clock, opening
little key boxes, sticking the key in the clock which punched a little hole
in a round disk marking what time we reached each station.

http://www.centraltimeclock.com/imag...rge_newman.png

Midnight walks through that long, barely lit, dirty attic was not a fun
time. It was pretty friggin' spooky up there.

I had a job as a nigh****chman for about 6 months, once at a place with
a clock like that.

I made my rounds, but one day they told me not to come in. While
another guy was on duty, 2 or 3 guys were robbing the place. It was a
fabric dying place in Queens, and they had opened a window and were
throwing bigggg bolts of cloth down to a truck on the street below.
From one of the rooms I walked through. A transit policeman on his
way home from work saw it and they were all arrested. But we were
fired. I wonder what they would have done if they had
come when I was on duty, and I found them. I guess they would have
tied me up, and the next guard or the next shift would have found me.