Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OOPS! Tenant thaws a frozen pipe

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 12:22:05 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 01/03/2014 12:08 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

“The tenant had been thawing pipes underneath the house in the crawl
space and it burned up the plumbing wall into the attic; the fire was
inside the walls,” Fire Chief Paul Maplethorpe said.

“It burned through the roof rafters and the floor joists,” he said,
adding that firefighters at first entered the home, but encountered
spongy floors because of fire in the crawl space."

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/24690645-418/house-fire-caused-by-tenant-thawing-frozen-pipes.html

Oh boy. I know someone is is not going to be getting their security
deposit back.

Not too far from here, the fire department extinguished a blaze in a store.
An hour later they were back to extinguish a blaze in an adjacent store...
it had spread through a common space above the drop ceiling.

oops.

When the first group of these townhouses were built, builder didn't put
walls in attic. Fire and burglars could go from one house to the other.
Not that that happened. Someone noticed and he was forced to put walls
in, floor to roof. By the time they built my house, he'd learned his
lesson.