Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fish Tape

I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation. There
is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline embedded in the
concrete that has 2 90degree bends, they are standard 90deg corners close to
each end of a ~20' run. Is there any chance that a standard fish tape would
be able to be pushed through?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6005/100660167

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...15HC/100044573

Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

On 12/25/2013 12:24 PM, Stumpy wrote:
I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation.
There is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline embedded
in the concrete that has 2 90degree bends, they are standard 90deg
corners close to each end of a ~20' run. Is there any chance that a
standard fish tape would be able to be pushed through?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6005/100660167

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...15HC/100044573

With enough persistence you might do it. You might be able to double
fish with a fish tape from either end, catching in the middle.

Try sucking a string through the pipe with a vacuum cleaner. That's
almost guaranteed to work.

LdB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 10:24:48 -0800, "Stumpy"
wrote:

I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation. There
is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline embedded in the
concrete that has 2 90degree bends, they are standard 90deg corners close to
each end of a ~20' run. Is there any chance that a standard fish tape would
be able to be pushed through?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6005/100660167

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...15HC/100044573

Yes.

Another way that could work is to vacuum a "rat tail string" through
the line first. A string is tied on, say a ball (?), the vacuum pulls
the "ball" and string out one side. Then pull the wire after you tape
it to the string.

"PVC 1 5/8" ID" would be easy....even using just the fish tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation. There
is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline embedded in the
concrete that has 2 90degree bends, they are standard 90deg corners close
each end of a ~20' run. Is there any chance that a standard fish tape
would
be able to be pushed through?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6005/100660167

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...15HC/100044573

Yes.

Another way that could work is to vacuum a "rat tail string" through
the line first. A string is tied on, say a ball (?), the vacuum pulls
the "ball" and string out one side. Then pull the wire after you tape
it to the string.

"PVC 1 5/8" ID" would be easy....even using just the fish tape.

Yeah well, H.D. is closed today and I can't find the 50' coil that is
supposed to be in the garage. It will be worth it to buy an $11 one for a
single job. Maybe I can try the shop vac later.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/25/2013 12:24 PM, Stumpy wrote:
I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation.
There is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline ...

The fishing ? has been answered...I'll ask the obvious other--what
good's it going to do to fish thru a water line, anyway, though?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2013 12:24 PM, Stumpy wrote:
I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation.
There is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline embedded
in the concrete that has 2 90degree bends, they are standard 90deg
corners close to each end of a ~20' run. Is there any chance that a
standard fish tape would be able to be pushed through?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6005/100660167

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...15HC/100044573

Try tying a piece of sponge to some pull string which is also sold at
the big box stores then use your shop vac to suck it through the pipe.
If you have a good air compressor you might be able to blow it through.
I have the ready made foam pipe rats with the eyelets on either end to
tie a pull string to and they work very well in such situations as
yours. I have the 6,500' 5gal pail but you don't need that. Lowes sells
the small dispenser. The poly line comes in handy for lots of things.
The technical name for a conduit rat is conduit piston. You can buy them
singly or in sets at the electrical supply house. ^_^

http://www.lowes.com/pd_187202-72068...e&fac etInfo=

http://preview.tinyurl.com/kapuwt2

http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-S2613.../dp/B004HNBE9M

http://preview.tinyurl.com/kd57ksn

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 12:37:36 -0600, LdB wrote:

On 12/25/2013 12:24 PM, Stumpy wrote:
I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation.
There is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline embedded
in the concrete that has 2 90degree bends, they are standard 90deg
corners close to each end of a ~20' run. Is there any chance that a
standard fish tape would be able to be pushed through?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6005/100660167

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...15HC/100044573

With enough persistence you might do it. You might be able to double
fish with a fish tape from either end, catching in the middle.

Try sucking a string through the pipe with a vacuum cleaner. That's
almost guaranteed to work.

Second. Make a parachute out of a sandwich bag. It should go right
in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 13:12:24 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 12/25/2013 12:24 PM, Stumpy wrote:
I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation.
There is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline ...

The fishing ? has been answered...I'll ask the obvious other--what
good's it going to do to fish thru a water line, anyway, though?

Correct. My thought was this is just a PVC irrigation pipe under
concrete. Not used as a water supply, but a conduit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 13:31:24 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Try tying a piece of sponge to some pull string which is also sold at
the big box stores then use your shop vac to suck it through the pipe.
If you have a good air compressor you might be able to blow it through.
I have the ready made foam pipe rats with the eyelets on either end to
tie a pull string to and they work very well in such situations as
yours. I have the 6,500' 5gal pail but you don't need that. Lowes sells
the small dispenser. The poly line comes in handy for lots of things.
The technical name for a conduit rat is conduit piston. You can buy them
singly or in sets at the electrical supply house. ^_^

Now this is a nugget:

"The technical name for a conduit rat is conduit piston."

Where have I been

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation. There
is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline embedded in the
concrete that has 2 90degree bends, they are standard 90deg corners close to
each end of a ~20' run. Is there any chance that a standard fish tape would
be able to be pushed through?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6005/100660167

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...15HC/100044573

So how long is this run altogether? I'm figuring it's not 30 feet
like my last complicated tape job was.

The vaccum is a very good idea, I hope to remember.

You can also use some flexible rod to push something iron through,
with a string attached. That should get you past one right angle, and
to the next one. Then from the other side of the wall, use a magnet
on a stick to retrieve the iron thing and the string. Make sure
before you start that it sticks to the magnet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Try tying a piece of sponge to some pull string which is also sold at
the big box stores then use your shop vac to suck it through the pipe.
If you have a good air compressor you might be able to blow it through.
I have the ready made foam pipe rats with the eyelets on either end to
tie a pull string to and they work very well in such situations as
yours. I have the 6,500' 5gal pail but you don't need that. Lowes sells
the small dispenser. The poly line comes in handy for lots of things.
The technical name for a conduit rat is conduit piston. You can buy them
singly or in sets at the electrical supply house. ^_^

Now this is a nugget:

"The technical name for a conduit rat is conduit piston."

Where have I been

We always called them rats when working on big electrical jobs. On one
occasion, we needed to pull some large cable through some buried 4" PVC
conduit so we tied some rags to a rope then took the big air line from
the trailer mounted air compressor used for the jackhammers. We stuffed
the rag with the rope tied to it in the pipe then stuck the air line in
and turned on the air. 50' away we saw the rag shoot 10' into the air
with our rope on it. That rope moved pretty fast and it was a good thing
it was tied off at the starting point. We is the crew I was working
with. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Unused waterpipe which I will pull a 3 connector wire through.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/25/2013 1:38 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 13:12:24 -0600, wrote:

On 12/25/2013 12:24 PM, Stumpy wrote:
I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation.
There is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline ...

The fishing ? has been answered...I'll ask the obvious other--what
good's it going to do to fish thru a water line, anyway, though?

Correct. My thought was this is just a PVC irrigation pipe under
concrete. Not used as a water supply, but a conduit.

One would hope, but why wouldn't OP have said that instead of
"waterline" if so????

And, of course, if so, going back to the problem of fishing...since it's
PVC it'd only be about a 5-minute job to whack an elbow off and cement
in a new if the elbows are causing grief...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 14:00:37 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

We always called them rats when working on big electrical jobs. On one
occasion, we needed to pull some large cable through some buried 4" PVC
conduit so we tied some rags to a rope then took the big air line from
the trailer mounted air compressor used for the jackhammers. We stuffed
the rag with the rope tied to it in the pipe then stuck the air line in
and turned on the air. 50' away we saw the rag shoot 10' into the air
with our rope on it. That rope moved pretty fast and it was a good thing
it was tied off at the starting point. We is the crew I was working
with. ^_^

They should never leave you guys alone.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
[...]

Those Greenlee pistons don't look like they would go around the PVC elbows,
but I get the concept. I've got some foam I can cut up here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 12/25/2013 1:38 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 13:12:24 -0600, wrote:

On 12/25/2013 12:24 PM, Stumpy wrote:
I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation.
There is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline ...

The fishing ? has been answered...I'll ask the obvious other--what
good's it going to do to fish thru a water line, anyway, though?

Correct. My thought was this is just a PVC irrigation pipe under
concrete. Not used as a water supply, but a conduit.

One would hope, but why wouldn't OP have said that instead of "waterline"
if so????

And, of course, if so, going back to the problem of fishing...since it's
PVC it'd only be about a 5-minute job to whack an elbow off and cement in
a new if the elbows are causing grief...

--

Elbows are underground. Don't want to jackhammer. Have already removed the
exposed ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We pulled a few thousand feet of fiber optic cable at work in a star
formation for the network. I managed the civilian prison contractors
as acting computer services manager.

When THEY attached the fiber cable to the pull rope ( good nylon), it
was called a "dick head " or such. A lot of electrical tape. They
lube it up real nice and heavy. As the dick head went through the
conduit, it would leave lube from the dick head and lube the conduit
and fiber cable being pulled. (less stress on the fiber and damage)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation. There
is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline embedded in the
concrete that has 2 90degree bends, they are standard 90deg corners close to
each end of a ~20' run. Is there any chance that a standard fish tape would
be able to be pushed through?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6005/100660167

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...15HC/100044573

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEnRz3CPslo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 14:11:13 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 12/25/2013 1:38 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 13:12:24 -0600, wrote:

On 12/25/2013 12:24 PM, Stumpy wrote:
I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation.
There is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline ...

The fishing ? has been answered...I'll ask the obvious other--what
good's it going to do to fish thru a water line, anyway, though?

Correct. My thought was this is just a PVC irrigation pipe under
concrete. Not used as a water supply, but a conduit.

One would hope, but why wouldn't OP have said that instead of
"waterline" if so????

Heck I don't know. Not my turn to watch him

And, of course, if so, going back to the problem of fishing...since it's
PVC it'd only be about a 5-minute job to whack an elbow off and cement
in a new if the elbows are causing grief...

+1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 11:04:25 -0800, "Stumpy"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Do yourself a favor and just take 2 hard 90s like you are talking
about and try to push the fish tape through them without adding the
pipe length. You may be able to do it, but it will be pretty hard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 12:13:48 -0800, "Stumpy"
wrote:

[...]

Foam will also be hard to go around a hard 90. They make sweeping
bends in electrical pipe for a reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/13 12:24 PM, Stumpy wrote:
I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation.
There is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline embedded in
the concrete that has 2 90degree bends, they are standard 90deg corners
close to each end of a ~20' run. Is there any chance that a standard
fish tape would be able to be pushed through?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6005/100660167

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...15HC/100044573

You wouldn't happen to have a sewer snake handy?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2013 1:24 PM, Stumpy wrote:
I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation.
There is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline embedded in
the concrete that has 2 90degree bends, they are standard 90deg corners
close to each end of a ~20' run. Is there any chance that a standard
fish tape would be able to be pushed through?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6005/100660167

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...15HC/100044573

Fish tape, or maybe drain snake.

Or you could blow a Nerf ball through, with a string.
Vacuum limits how much oompah you can get. Vacuum
only goes to 14.7 PSI. Compressed air can really
pack a push.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation. There
is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline embedded in the
concrete that has 2 90degree bends, they are standard 90deg corners close
each end of a ~20' run. Is there any chance that a standard fish tape
would
be able to be pushed through?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6005/100660167

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...15HC/100044573

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEnRz3CPslo

Yeah I got it. Taped the vac hose onto the pipe and put a plastic grocery
bag on nylon string. Made some noise, no progress. Cut 1/2 of the bag off
and "exercised" it by crinkling it up a couple of times. It got stuck in
the first corner but moved on when I pulled the string back against the
vacuum. Got stuck on the next corner, but went on after pulling it back a
little. So it got pulled all the way into the shop vac. Success!

The line had more water sitting in it than I expected so pulling the bag
through probably cleaned it up a little.

Turns out the wires I tied on to are 240V. Ran the Sawsall I little faster
than I wanted. I've got other problems to solve now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
On 12/25/13 12:24 PM, Stumpy wrote:
I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation.
There is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline embedded in
the concrete that has 2 90degree bends, they are standard 90deg corners
close to each end of a ~20' run. Is there any chance that a standard
fish tape would be able to be pushed through?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6005/100660167

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...15HC/100044573

You wouldn't happen to have a sewer snake handy?

That's the missing 50' coil in the garage. I haven't used it for ~10 years
and it disappeared. Problem solved - don't need to waste $11 tomorrow @
H.D.

It was pretty stiff and I doubt would have made those short radius 90s

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I am told it runs much faster........for a min or two, then smoke.

240V should have been two phase colors. (black, red, blue) 120V would
have been a color and a white. That is why you also put black tape
on a white wire when you (have to) use it for something other than the
neutral.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

It was a black and a white wire, just like usual. No smoke because it was a
variable speed Sawzall and I could tell something was up immediately. It
was full speed as soon as the trigger started. I'll get the wiring surprise
figured out a couple of days from now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2013 5:02 PM, Stumpy wrote:

Yeah I got it. Taped the vac hose onto the pipe and put a plastic
grocery bag on nylon string. Made some noise, no progress. Cut 1/2 of
the bag off and "exercised" it by crinkling it up a couple of times. It
got stuck in the first corner but moved on when I pulled the string back
against the vacuum. Got stuck on the next corner, but went on after
pulling it back a little. So it got pulled all the way into the shop
vac. Success!

The line had more water sitting in it than I expected so pulling the bag
through probably cleaned it up a little.

Turns out the wires I tied on to are 240V. Ran the Sawsall I little
faster than I wanted. I've got other problems to solve now.

Sounds like progress, got a line started.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stumpy wrote:
I need to run a power cord through an existing concrete foundation. There
is a schedule 40 PVC 1 5/8" ID, 1 15/16" OD waterline embedded in the
concrete that has 2 90degree bends, they are standard 90deg corners close to
each end of a ~20' run. Is there any chance that a standard fish tape would
be able to be pushed through?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6005/100660167

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...15HC/100044573

Yes it is possible. If the fish tape doesn't work, get some light twine and
a cotton ball, tie the twine to the cotton ball, insert in one end of the
run, and put your shop vac on the other, or push through with compressed air
from the same side.

Fish tape v Cable Access kit Steven Campbell[_4_] UK diy 13 October 25th 10 06:28 PM
Fish Tape asalcedo UK diy 8 July 4th 09 03:17 PM
SONY Dual Cassette Tape Deck would not Eject Tape AVFan Electronics Repair 2 October 26th 06 03:18 PM
metal roof and leaks? using tape to fix? Eternabond brand tape davidlaska Home Repair 6 September 11th 06 02:09 AM
Fish tape question Ken Home Repair 11 January 4th 05 02:28 PM