Senior Member

Default Fish Tape

I need to purchase a good quality 100 feet fish tape to lay cables in my house.

I have already experienced the difficulty of laying long cables even when done by professionals with iffy tapes.

The house is large, with garden, and long flexible (corrugated) conduit runs.

I see this fiber glass one:

http://cableorganizer.com/klein-tool...ader.htm#44461

And a cheaper steel with nylon jacket one:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide01-04.html

Which one should I get if price is not a consideration?

Any other that will be better?

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a steel fish tape - and it's only marginally better than
improvised wire pullers. Maybe fibreglass ones are better.

However looking at the screwfix range:

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A235328...s/Cable-Access

This (rather expensive) kit stood out as having a few innovations:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/44025/...e-Rod-Mega-Set

(there's a glowing review too - but does sound a bit like it was
written by the manufacturer)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 05:44:21 +0100, asalcedo wrote:

The house is large, with garden, and long flexible (corrugated) conduit
runs.

I hope the flexible conduit has been laid in straight runs. I doubt
you'll be able to pull a cable around any bend. I found that out when
putting a single Cat5 through some of that stuff no way was it going
through unless the conduit was virtually straight. Lubrication might
help but I wouldn't like to put any money on it.

I have a plain steel fish tape works well enough. I suspect that the
rods might be better, though I'd look closely are how they join
together. What is awful is a nylon one it "remembers" it's coiled up
state and always wants to be like that fing useless in floor voids
and jams in ducting...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberBiker View Post
I have a steel fish tape - and it's only marginally better than
improvised wire pullers. Maybe fibreglass ones are better.

However looking at the screwfix range:

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A235328...s/Cable-Access

This (rather expensive) kit stood out as having a few innovations:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/44025/...e-Rod-Mega-Set

(there's a glowing review too - but does sound a bit like it was
written by the manufacturer)
I have a simpler rod set that works very well. I had not considered it because I need longer length and because it is a lot of work to screw and unscrew each 1m length.

However, I do feel that it may work better, especially because the set you mention seems to offer more versatility.

I am going to get it. Many thanks for the tip.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Liquorice[_2_] View Post
[...]

It is near imposible to push a rod around any meaningful bend.

Yes, the cable runs are quite straight with plenty of junction boxes in between.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://tinyurl.com/l4aomt

And a cheaper steel with nylon jacket one:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide01-04.html

Which one should I get if price is not a consideration?

Any other that will be better?

IME, I find that the fibreglass rods are actually far more useful that
the tapes. Something like :

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DRCAKL.html

for a basic set.

There are more elaborate ones as well:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ods/index.html

If you do go for a tape, make sure it is one on a spool - the coils of
nylon tape without are unmanageable!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 05:44:21 +0100, asalcedo wrote:

I need to purchase a good quality 100 feet fish tape to lay cables in my
house.

I have already experienced the difficulty of laying long cables even when
done by professionals with iffy tapes.

The house is large, with garden, and long flexible (corrugated) conduit
runs.

I see this fiber glass one:

http://tinyurl.com/l4aomt

And a cheaper steel with nylon jacket one:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide01-04.html

Which one should I get if price is not a consideration?

Any other that will be better?

Thanks,

Antonio

Some good prices here although stock isn't as comprehensive as Screwfix
etc.:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/bamfor..._nkw=fish+wire

http://tinyurl.com/m2p4px

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"asalcedo" wrote in message

'Dave Liquorice[_2_ Wrote:
;2205126']On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 05:44:21 +0100, asalcedo wrote:
-
[...]

The rods will not go around bends.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
asalcedo wrote:

[...]

The coils of nylon cords do have 2 advantages though

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...20M/index.html

1. If you hit a bend in conduit and you then can twist the cord whilst
pushing it, it usually clears the bend.

2. If you want a pull cord inserting through a small hole that you want to
grab from the other side (eg through a ceiling into the loft in the eaves)
the natural self coiling mechanism of the cord means that it is usually easy
enough to grab with rods that have a hook on the end.

Adam

Adam