Posted to alt.home.repair

Default winter is here in Central Ontario.

-10F this morning in Waterloo Ontario - DAMN THAT"S COLD!!!!
Got another inch of snow overnight - so we are up to MABEE 5 inches so
far for the winter.
Furnace ran 5 hours and 40 minutes yesterday, and a bit over an hour
and a half already this morning (to 8 am) including coming back up
from set-back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 07:46:08 -0700, Snag wrote:
...snip...

I dread
getting the 'lectric bill this cycle , it's going to be high from the
extreme for this area cold . We're currently using a space heater as
it's
cheaper and much less hassle than LPG . Next month I expect it to be
somewhat lower , as by then I should have the new room hooked up to the
camper , and it'll be heated with wood .

Always amazed me when we changed from 'hot air' heating to 'glowing
electric' heater the difference in comfort. We went from bones chilling
while sitting still and roasting when moving around, to feeling 'good
inside' and feeling cool air when we moved around. Absolutely the right
way to go.

I'm now convinced that with a good red-hot fire burning in a relatively
cool room is the way to go. Fire burning in an appropriate location, of
course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snag" wrote:
....snip...

I forgot to leave the faucet dripping when I made coffee this morning ...
and had to go out and thaw the outdoor faucet AND the inlet where the hose
hooks to the camper . And it only took about 30 minutes to freeze .

.... Snip...

30 minutes is a (relatively) long time. When I was in the service in AK we
had styrofoam lined wooden boxes on our window sills - inside the room.
There were holes in the window sills for ventilation. We could chill a room
temperature bottle of beer in the time it took to change from our dungaree
uniforms to our civvies. A can of soda would freeze and burst in under 10
minutes.

When we'd go outside for bon fires, we would keep the beer near the fire to
keep it from freezing. If you opened one and didn't drink it fast enough,
or keep it near the fire, it would freeze before you finished it.

Frisbees used to crack when they hit the ground after just a few minutes of
tossing them around. We went though a lot of Frisbees every winter, but
sliding around on the snow in full arctic gear was just so much damn fun.
You could fully lay out for a catch without worrying about getting hurt. Of
course, actually catching the Frisbee was near impossible with the gloves
on, but that wasn't really the point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertMacy wrote:
[...]

My main concern about the wood stove is that it's way too big for the
current space - and will overheat us . And a room with a red hot stove won't
be cool for long ... I have one of my forge burners set up in a turkey
fryer-type stand , and have been using it to warrm the room while I do some
of the inside stuff . With it turned as low as I can and still sustain a
flame it'll heat me out in under an hour .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snag" wrote:
RobertMacy wrote:
[...]

Open a window. No window? Cut a hole and frame it so you close it up when
not in use, like an access panel. It'll all get hidden when you finish the
wall, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Snag" wrote:
RobertMacy wrote:
[...]

First window went in today , second one tomorrow . As soon as I can get my
truck out ice under snow , ain't melted yet I'll be picking up a door unit
and more "stuff". Still shoppin' around for 'lectrickle stuff .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 01:08:55 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

"Snag" wrote:
[...]

Yep. When I lived in the Yukon, we always had a bonfire going when we
were outside. And a frying fan. When you talked the words would
freeze in mid-air. Had to put them in the frying pan to figure out
what was being said.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Snag" wrote:
[...]