Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Necessary to cover top of central AC intake in winter?

Hi ,
I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast.
There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen.
I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic. This would cut down on the air intake but maybe it is
more important that ice and snow do not get inside? Are you supposed
to cover the top of the intake in the winter? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 17, 9:31*am, Name Classified wrote:
Hi ,
I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast.
There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen.
I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic. This would cut down on the air intake but maybe it is
more important that ice and snow do not get inside? Are you supposed
to cover the top of the intake in the winter? Thanks

That's simply the condenser unit. Similar to the AC in your car it
blows air over the condenser coil that has tubing in it with the freon
(working fluid) to cool it down after it's been compressed, then it's
expanded in the coil above your furnace (assuming forced air furnace)
and the air from the return plenum in your house is blown over that
and cooled.

In short, there's no air being drawn into your house from the outside
unit. But covering it may not be a bad idea when it's not being used
just to keep leaves, dirt, etc. out which can reduce efficiency and/or
cause corrosion of the condenser's fins and tubes.

NB: if you have a heat pump system, the condenser is actually used as
an evaporator in heat mode (basically the inside and outside coils
switch functions) and therefore the outside unit is used year round
and therefore shouldn't ever be covered.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 9:31*am, Name Classified wrote:
Hi ,
I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast.
There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen.
I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic. This would cut down on the air intake but maybe it is
more important that ice and snow do not get inside? Are you supposed
to cover the top of the intake in the winter? Thanks

It's optional. If you have trees around, covering just the top
will keep leaves out and would be a good idea.
I would not cover the whole thing as
trapping moisture in there, keeping it constantly wet, will
contribute to rust, corrosion, etc. I just replaced one that
was 27 years old, never covered and it was still working OK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes. Helps keep snow and debris out. Leave the sides open for air
circulation. The outside unit doesn't run during the winter.

The outdoor unit isn't an air intake, it's the machine that dumps the heat
energy (BTUs) from the house. Sounds like you should ask your HVAC repair
guy what each device does, in general terms.

I did look for a good website, but didn't find any that made sense, and easy
to understand and all that.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Name Classified" wrote in message
Hi ,
I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast.
There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen.
I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic. This would cut down on the air intake but maybe it is
more important that ice and snow do not get inside? Are you supposed
to cover the top of the intake in the winter? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Name Classified wrote:
Hi ,
I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast.
There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen.
I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic. This would cut down on the air intake but maybe it is
more important that ice and snow do not get inside? Are you supposed
to cover the top of the intake in the winter? Thanks

Hi,
Our Carrier unit came with cover when installed. Custom fit with
Carrier Logo on it, etc. just like BBQ cover. I use it during winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 9:31*am, Name Classified wrote:
Hi ,
I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast.
There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen.
I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic. This would cut down on the air intake but maybe it is
more important that ice and snow do not get inside? Are you supposed
to cover the top of the intake in the winter? Thanks

I cover mine with piece of plywood bungied down so it won't blow off.

I also remove the fan and screened sides every fall so I can vacuum
the leaves and other debris from the unit.

We get cotton from cotton wood trees floating around and it gets
caught in the fins behind the case. Since it's the fins that help
dissipate the heat, I like to start each season with a clean unit.
Removing the case also gives me a chance to inspect the unit a bit
more thoroughly on the hope that I'll catch a problem before it's a
major issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 9:31*am, Name Classified wrote:
Hi ,
I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast.
There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen.
I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic. This would cut down on the air intake but maybe it is
more important that ice and snow do not get inside? Are you supposed
to cover the top of the intake in the winter? Thanks

I used to cover mine in the winter until I got a heat pump. Covering
it did keep out a lot of leaves. The leaves tend to cause the bottom
of the unit to rust out.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Name Classified wrote:
Hi ,
I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast.
There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen.
I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic. This would cut down on the air intake but maybe it is
more important that ice and snow do not get inside? Are you supposed
to cover the top of the intake in the winter? Thanks

No. Just like you're not supposed to cover the roof turbines or block ridge
vents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 4:16*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Name Classified wrote:
Hi ,
I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast.
There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen.
I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic. This would cut down on the air intake but maybe it is
more important that ice and snow do not get inside? Are you supposed
to cover the top of the intake in the winter? Thanks

No. Just like you're not supposed to cover the roof turbines or block ridge
vents.

Why would you not cover a AC condenser unit in the winter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:24:23 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Why would you not cover a AC condenser unit in the winter?

It doesn't snow in Houston :-\

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2012 9:31 AM, Name Classified wrote:

I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic.

Those people are the same nutcakes that put cutesy little sweaters and
booties on their dogs when they take them for a walk. Don't cover your
AC/condenser unless you want people to think you're a nutcake too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2012 3:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 17, 4:16 pm, wrote:
Name Classified wrote:
Hi ,
I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast.
There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen.
I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic. This would cut down on the air intake but maybe it is
more important that ice and snow do not get inside? Are you supposed
to cover the top of the intake in the winter? Thanks

No. Just like you're not supposed to cover the roof turbines or block ridge
vents.

Why would you not cover a AC condenser unit in the winter?

because nothing is gained by doing so. And the resulting condensation or
sweating under the cover could do damage to the electronics and
electrical .

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Traps humidity in, promotes rust. That's why you put something over it, but
leave the sides open.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Why would you not cover a AC condenser unit in the winter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why would you not cover a AC condenser unit in the winter?

It doesn't snow in Houston :-\

It DOES snow in Houston. About once every seven years. At least 1/4-1/2
inch! I'm not making this up - at least that much.

When snow is forecast, everybody goes home from work. The schools are
closed. Church pews fill up. The Red Cross opens shelters and people stock
up on beer and strawberry pop-tarts, then they huddle in the family room and
profess their undying love for each other. Spontaneous prayer breaks out.

Officials scramble to close the freeways before 200-car pile-ups occur.

The kids scrape a wad of snow off car hoods, construct an 8" snowman and
call it good.

Outside dogs get terribly confused. Outside cats don't give a ****.

Now you folks in Buffalo are giggling (I know you are), but it's really a
question of what you're used to. Visitors to our area from Minnesota or
Illinois, as soon as a hurricane enters the Gulf, they look down and say:
"Feet! Make Tracks!"

We natives - or the acclimated - view a hurricane as God's invitation to
party. It takes a few beers to laugh when a metal trash can, flying by at 70
mph, hits your car.

But snow? Heck, man, snow can kill you! Can't be too careful around snow.
No, indeed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 17, 4:16 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Name Classified wrote:
Hi ,
I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast.
There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen.
I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic. This would cut down on the air intake but maybe it is
more important that ice and snow do not get inside? Are you supposed
to cover the top of the intake in the winter? Thanks

No. Just like you're not supposed to cover the roof turbines or
block ridge vents.

Why would you not cover a AC condenser unit in the winter?

* You've got to get it out of storage (or make or buy a new one).
* You've got to install it. Just laying a bit of plywood on top won't work.
You have to belay it with bungee cords and turnbuckles so it will withstand
the wind.
* If it was just a freak cold-front, and it's 82 degrees tomorrow, you've
got to remove it.
* If you forget to remove it, after the freak cold spell or in the spring,
you're out several hundred dollars as the whole condensing unit bellies up
and washes ashore.

Admittedly, I'm in a pretty temperate clime, but I've never heard of anyone
covering a condensing unit, much less seen one in the wild. If there's
something destructive in your area about your particular brand of snow or
ice (salt?), then cover away. Maybe even rig up some sort of heater...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bernt Berger wrote:
On 1/17/2012 9:31 AM, Name Classified wrote:

I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic.

Those people are the same nutcakes that put cutesy little sweaters and
booties on their dogs when they take them for a walk. Don't cover your
AC/condenser unless you want people to think you're a nutcake too.

You bring up a good point. I wonder...

Would it be practical to crochet a cutsie condensing-unit cozy?

On the other hand, "What Do You Care What Other People Think?" (title of a
book by Richard P. Feynman, Nobel Prize, Physics, 1965).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2012 8:45 PM, HeyBub wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 17, 4:16 pm, wrote:
Name Classified wrote:
[...]

next thing you know, they'll be putting yuppified quick couplings on
them and carrying them into the garage in the winter.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why would you not cover a AC condenser unit in the winter?

Because if it is completely covered, condensation can form under the
cover and speed corrosion. I'd just cover the top to keep leaves and
dirt out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 17, 4:16 pm, wrote:
Name Classified wrote:
[...]

We'd get mighty cold in the Winter. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why would you not cover a AC condenser unit in the winter?

Because if it is completely covered, condensation can form under the
cover and speed corrosion. I'd just cover the top to keep leaves and
dirt out.

Why would there be any condensation (inside)? The temperature of the metal
will track the outside air pretty quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 17, 4:16 pm, wrote:
Name Classified wrote:
[...]

Harbor Freight has moving dollies for about seven bucks. No need to
carry the unit. In early spring use the dollies for moving plants back
out to the patio.

Just to get a 16-inch total count on snow fall in Las Vegas over 17
years I had to move across town. Snowed on me twice, already.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default If Fred Watched Science Channel Twice a Day

On 1/17/2012 9:48 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Bernt Berger wrote:
On 1/17/2012 9:31 AM, Name Classified wrote:

I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic.

Those people are the same nutcakes that put cutesy little sweaters and
booties on their dogs when they take them for a walk. Don't cover your
AC/condenser unless you want people to think you're a nutcake too.

You bring up a good point. I wonder...

Would it be practical to crochet a cutsie condensing-unit cozy?

Yah or if you don't know how to knit, maybe just put a Snuggie on it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bernt Berger wrote:
On 1/17/2012 9:31 AM, Name Classified wrote:

I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic.

Those people are the same nutcakes that put cutesy little sweaters and
booties on their dogs when they take them for a walk. Don't cover your
AC/condenser unless you want people to think you're a nutcake too.

Hmmm,
Manufacturer, in my case Carrier must be nutcake. Custom fit cover was
included in the system installation kit, very well made thick Tyvec
fabric kind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 07:07:48 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

Mine lasted 31 years, never covered. ( After that, the breaker
tripped a second after starting the compressor, even though the fan
had stawrted to spin.)

Even though there are trees around, it got very few leaves. just a few
small pieces. I think they blew off the top before they rotted
enough to slip in between the chome? wires. They've changed the kind
of vents at the top since then and I don't know if that makes a
difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There is an outside unit for the AC that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air.

BTW, I'm working on a model that would bring the air in through the
outdoor unit. My prototype brings the cold air in in the winter and
the warm air in in the summer. I just have to reverse that and it
will work really well.

I've googled "air temp reverser" but I can't find anything good, at
least nothing that will fit in the condenser case.. Can you guys
recoommend something?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:15:19 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Name Classified wrote:
Hi ,
I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast.
There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen.
I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic. This would cut down on the air intake but maybe it is
more important that ice and snow do not get inside? Are you supposed
to cover the top of the intake in the winter? Thanks

Hi,
Our Carrier unit came with cover when installed. Custom fit with
Carrier Logo on it, etc. just like BBQ cover. I use it during winter.

That sounds right. I use my BBQ in t he summer to remove the hot air
from the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:44:27 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I also remove the fan and screened sides every fall so I can vacuum
the leaves and other debris from the unit.

When mine were starting to rust, I removed them and painted them with
aerosol car paint to match part of my house. Mink Brown iirc. I
also painted the AC electric box on the side of the house,and the box
around the electric meter. They all looked great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 17, 4:16 pm, wrote:
Name Classified wrote:
[...]

Absolutely. Now I know how to get rich. This will be the successor
to the weedwacker. and the McDonalds clamshell. (That's how
Huntsman's father made his money, iirc)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 11:20*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Bernt Berger wrote:
On 1/17/2012 9:31 AM, Name Classified wrote:

I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic.

Those people are the same nutcakes that put cutesy little sweaters and
booties on their dogs when they take them for a walk. Don't cover your
AC/condenser unless you want people to think you're a nutcake too.

Hmmm,
Manufacturer, in my case Carrier must be nutcake. Custom fit cover was
included in the system installation kit, very well made thick Tyvec
fabric kind.

Does it cover the entire unit or just the top or go just
part way down the sides? If they cover the whole thing,
then I'd say they are nuts, as well as way overpriced
compared to similar eqpt. I'd want some airflow under
the cover to prevent moisture accumulating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote the following:

There is an outside unit for the AC that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air.

BTW, I'm working on a model that would bring the air in through the
outdoor unit. My prototype brings the cold air in in the winter and
the warm air in in the summer. I just have to reverse that and it
will work really well.

I've googled "air temp reverser" but I can't find anything good, at
least nothing that will fit in the condenser case.. Can you guys
recoommend something?

Heat pump.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why would you not cover a AC condenser unit in the winter?

Because if it is completely covered, condensation can form under the
cover and speed corrosion. *I'd just cover the top to keep leaves and
dirt out.

In both cases we mentioned covering *only* the top.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 9:45*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 17, 4:16 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Name Classified wrote:
Hi ,
I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast.
There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen.
I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic. This would cut down on the air intake but maybe it is
more important that ice and snow do not get inside? Are you supposed
to cover the top of the intake in the winter? Thanks

No. Just like you're not supposed to cover the roof turbines or
block ridge vents.

Why would you not cover a AC condenser unit in the winter?

You are really stretching here...

* You've got to get it out of storage (or make or buy a new one).

The plywood and bungee cords are stored under my deck, within 15' of
the condenser. Getting it "out of storage" is really no big deal.

* You've got to install it. Just laying a bit of plywood on top won't work.
You have to belay it with bungee cords and turnbuckles so it will withstand
the wind.

"bungee cords *and* turnbuckles"? Come on!

2 bungees, a total of 4 hooks. How much trouble is that?

* If it was just a freak cold-front, and it's 82 degrees tomorrow, you've
got to remove it.

Rarely if ever, in my neck of the woods, do we get swings of that
range. Once it's covered, it's not used until the next spring. If we
get a January thaw (which would never reach 82 anyway) I can live
without the AC for a day or two or more. Even if I wanted to uncover
it, once again, it's only 2 bungee cords.

* If you forget to remove it, after the freak cold spell or in the spring,
you're out several hundred dollars as the whole condensing unit bellies up
and washes ashore.

Just above my condenser is a disconnect box. Before I clean and cover
the condenser in the fall, I remove the disconnect plunger and insert
it in the OFF position. I couldn't turn on the condenser unless I
reach over the covered condenser, open the disconnect box and remove
and reinsert the plunger. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to notice the
plywood and bungee cords.

Admittedly, I'm in a pretty temperate clime, but I've never heard of anyone
covering a condensing unit, much less seen one in the wild. If there's
something destructive in your area about your particular brand of snow or
ice (salt?), then cover away. Maybe even rig up some sort of heater...

Covering the top of condensers during our long hard winters is pretty
common in my area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:48:20 -0500, willshak
wrote:

micky wrote the following:

There is an outside unit for the AC that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air.

BTW, I'm working on a model that would bring the air in through the
outdoor unit. My prototype brings the cold air in in the winter and
the warm air in in the summer. I just have to reverse that and it
will work really well.

I've googled "air temp reverser" but I can't find anything good, at
least nothing that will fit in the condenser case.. Can you guys
recoommend something?

Heat pump.

Mine is going to be simpler than that, cheaper to buy and cheaper to
run. Just a fan with a temp reverser.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Back before I was covering mine the bottom of the unit would be
covered in pin oak leaves. I dont know how bad other leaves are about
getting in to it. I dont find them in my new heat pump. Maybe because
it runs in the winter.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Admittedly, I'm in a pretty temperate clime, but I've never heard of
anyone covering a condensing unit, much less seen one in the wild.
If there's something destructive in your area about your particular
brand of snow or ice (salt?), then cover away. Maybe even rig up
some sort of heater...

Covering the top of condensers during our long hard winters is pretty
common in my area.

So is government by Democrats (NY), but that doesn't make it right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 6:58*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Admittedly, I'm in a pretty temperate clime, but I've never heard of
anyone covering a condensing unit, much less seen one in the wild.
If there's something destructive in your area about your particular
brand of snow or ice (salt?), then cover away. Maybe even rig up
some sort of heater...

Covering the top of condensers during our long hard winters is pretty
common in my area.

So is government by Democrats (NY), but that doesn't make it right.

Nor does it make it wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 1:03*pm, "MLD" wrote:
"JimT" wrote in message

On 1/17/2012 9:07 AM, wrote:
On Jan 17, 9:31 am, Name *wrote:
Hi ,
I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast.
There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen.
I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic. This would cut down on the air intake but maybe it is
more important that ice and snow do not get inside? Are you supposed
to cover the top of the intake in the winter? Thanks
It's optional. *If you have trees around, covering just the top
will keep leaves out and would be a good idea.
I would not cover the whole thing as
trapping moisture in there, keeping it constantly wet, will
contribute to rust, corrosion, etc. *I just replaced one that
was 27 years old, never covered and it was still working OK.

Installed mine in 1973. *Covered it with a tarp every year, *Take the top
off each Spring: oil the fan motor, vacuum the coil and clean out the
leaves. *So far it's still working OK. *So much for whether or not to cover
it.
MLD

Ditto.- Hide quoted text -

My system is a Lennox model. The company that installed it for me (a
very reliable and reputable company, btw) strongly urges me to keep it
covered in the winter. (I live in Kansas, where the winters can be
quite vicious at times.) Covering it keeps leaves and other debris
out, thereby facilitating cleaning coils, etc., in the spring and, as
the serviceman said, it also helps keep "critters" from sneaking into
the unit and making their homes therein during the winter. Lennox
makes a tailor-made cover for the unit, and I religiously put it on
the unit every winter. No problems.
JimCo
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you call a priest, or a Rabbi to religiously put the cover on? Burn some
incense, say a few prayers, and sprinkle it with holy water?

Now, I'm wondering. A condensor cover ceremony. That could involve a whole
variety of different things. Maybe close to funeral rites, and rather
somber, and dark. Bit of a procession, some ceremony and then lower the
cover over the beloved condensor unit.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus