Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Necessary to cover top of central AC intake in winter?

On Jan 17, 9:31*am, Name Classified wrote:
Hi ,
I have central air in my house and I live in the northeast.
There is an outside unit that sits on a slab that I think brings in
the air. Its a box and every side is metal screen.
I was driving around my neighborhood yesterday and I saw that some
people in my neighborhood had their AC units covered, just the top,
with plastic. This would cut down on the air intake but maybe it is
more important that ice and snow do not get inside? Are you supposed
to cover the top of the intake in the winter? Thanks

I used to cover mine in the winter until I got a heat pump. Covering
it did keep out a lot of leaves. The leaves tend to cause the bottom
of the unit to rust out.

Jimmie