Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

ack123

Default Above ground pool winter cover has hole

Hi to all, I have a 24ft above ground pool and my winter cover has a
hole in it. The pool is now completely filled with ice. Just wondering
if anyone living in the northeast has survived a similar problem and
what was done to try and get the water, as it melts, out of the pool.

I have a inground pool in Minnesota which has a mesh cover. This allow
moisture to run through the cover, keeping debris out of pool. IMHO, a
non mesh cover would be a hassle to get out in the spring.

On 18 Feb 2005 17:13:26 -0800, someone wrote:

Hi to all, I have a 24ft above ground pool and my winter cover has a
hole in it. The pool is now completely filled with ice. Just wondering
if anyone living in the northeast has survived a similar problem and
what was done to try and get the water, as it melts, out of the pool.

Not being a pool owner, I guess I don't get it.

Isn't a pool usually filled with water, and OK ice could damage the
pool but once the ice melts it is just water and that is what a pool
is designed to handle?

Now if the problem is debris - well, that's not what the post says, it
says how do you get water out of a pool. Dunno - whaddya do when it
rains, how do you get that out of the pool???.

rosie readandpost

it
: says how do you get water out of a pool. Dunno - whaddya do when
it
: rains, how do you get that out of the pool???.
:
:
:
:
all we did, if the water level got to high was to turn the filter to
BACKWASH, and empty to the desired level.

Brigitte

" rosie readandpost" wrote in message
it
: says how do you get water out of a pool. Dunno - whaddya do when
it
: rains, how do you get that out of the pool???.
:
:
:
:
all we did, if the water level got to high was to turn the filter to
BACKWASH, and empty to the desired level.

When I lived in a house with a pool, I never left the pump or the filter
outdoors during the winter.

The water should simply "overflow" out the hole where the return is located,
since it would be the lowest point where water would escape.

It's been a few years since I had a pool, but I'm pretty sure that's how it
all worked.

Brigitte

ack123

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have the pump and filter inside
the house just sitting during the winter months. My main concern was
whether or not the pool support posts would be able to handle the
contracting from the freezing and melting and freezing pattern
experienced during winter months. The winter plate that covers the
inlet to the basket has already buckled outward where water is already
escaping on the warmer days. The return plug is also cracked and water
is escaping there as well. I'm just hoping the posts and liner make it.
Of course time will tell ;-)