Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default winter is here in Central Ontario.

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 01:08:55 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

"Snag" wrote:
...snip...

I forgot to leave the faucet dripping when I made coffee this morning ...
and had to go out and thaw the outdoor faucet AND the inlet where the hose
hooks to the camper . And it only took about 30 minutes to freeze .

... Snip...

30 minutes is a (relatively) long time. When I was in the service in AK we
had styrofoam lined wooden boxes on our window sills - inside the room.
There were holes in the window sills for ventilation. We could chill a room
temperature bottle of beer in the time it took to change from our dungaree
uniforms to our civvies. A can of soda would freeze and burst in under 10
minutes.

When we'd go outside for bon fires, we would keep the beer near the fire to
keep it from freezing. If you opened one and didn't drink it fast enough,
or keep it near the fire, it would freeze before you finished it.

Yep. When I lived in the Yukon, we always had a bonfire going when we
were outside. And a frying fan. When you talked the words would
freeze in mid-air. Had to put them in the frying pan to figure out
what was being said.