Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Free Gas Leak Test and Repair?

They are in the process of replacing the gas service in my neighborhood.
New main, new shutoffs, new service to house, move meter outside if
currently inside, etc. (They are not installing smart meters)

They have been doing the main for the past couple of weeks and are now
beginning to tie in the individual services to each house. As I was leaving
for work this morning, the crew was digging in the yard across the street.
One guy approached me and said they he wanted to set up a time when I would
be home for a few hours so they could have access to the house to relight
any pilot lights after replacing the service from the street to the meter.

I told them that the only pilot light I have is for my WH and that I could
relight it on my own when they were done. They said that as part of the
project they have to pressure check my interior gas piping and if the test
shows a leak, they can not connect the new gas service. Instead they will
call the utility and have them come out and determine the source of the
leak. Therefore, they need someone to be available in case there's a
problem.

I asked them if this was like the phone company, who charge for repairs if
the problem is inside the house, and they said no. As part of the project,
it's like a "one time deal". No charge for the test, and no charge for
repairs if required.

Has anyone been through something similar? Does this sound like the normal
process for a gas service replacement process? I'm basically curious about
the "interior testing" part since it really has nothing to do with the
replacement of the exterior service. I guess they are just being "nice" and
making sure there are no explosions imminent, right?

(Please, do us all a favor and stick to the matter at hand. Please don't
associate this project with the Affordable Care Act or government control
of our lives or the NSA installing video cameras throughout my house.
Thanks!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Has anyone been through something similar? Does this sound like the normal
process for a gas service replacement process? I'm basically curious about
the "interior testing" part since it really has nothing to do with the
replacement of the exterior service. I guess they are just being "nice" and
making sure there are no explosions imminent, right?

I'd ask the guy who told you that to put it in writing and/or ask
the gas company what is up with this. Those would be the ones who would
really know. Even if it happened (say) in California, doesn't mean that
it works the same way in where ever you are.

--
€œStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.€
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2013 12:25 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Has anyone been through something similar? Does this sound like the normal
process for a gas service replacement process? I'm basically curious about
the "interior testing" part since it really has nothing to do with the
replacement of the exterior service. I guess they are just being "nice" and
making sure there are no explosions imminent, right?

I'd ask the guy who told you that to put it in writing and/or ask
the gas company what is up with this. Those would be the ones who would
really know. Even if it happened (say) in California, doesn't mean that
it works the same way in where ever you are.

My first thought, is that I don't really like the
idea of uninvited people in my home. If I'm the
guy who calls the curtains company, bring em all
in. But someone else decides to come in and test
my pipes, well, not liking that idea. I'd call
the gas company, see if this is policy. Or maybe
a freelance burglar team scoping out the job.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Has anyone been through something similar? Does this sound like the normal
process for a gas service replacement process? I'm basically curious about
the "interior testing" part since it really has nothing to do with the
replacement of the exterior service. I guess they are just being "nice" and
making sure there are no explosions imminent, right?

I'd ask the guy who told you that to put it in writing and/or ask
the gas company what is up with this. Those would be the ones who would
really know. Even if it happened (say) in California, doesn't mean that
it works the same way in where ever you are.

In the time since I posted, I did manage to get in touch with someone at
the utility who knew what was going on.

Bottom line is that the contractor will pressure test the interior lines,
and they will call the utility if they find a leak. The utility will then
come out and inspect the system. Where possible, they will do a temporary
repair to allow the service to be connected. Then will then red tag the
system and give the homeowner time to get it fixed, at the homeowner's
cost. If it's really bad, they will not allow the service to be connected
until the situation is rectified by the homeowner.

If the gas guys are as nice as the electrical guys I've dealt with
recently, I wouldn't be surprised if they went beyond a temporary fix -
where possible - and made a permanent repair. e.g. Maybe they find a
slightly leaking shutoff to the furnace. Replacing the shutoff would be as
easy as any temporary repair, so they'd probably just replace it. I have no
concrete reason to think that, it's just a feeling.

The guys that dropped my power lines a few weeks ago so I could repair my
weather head and siding were a couple of the nicest guys I've met. We
discussed the best location for them to reattach the lines to the house,
they took out the old attachment fixture while they were on the ladder,
they asked me if I wanted the wires off of the house or just cut at the
pole...basically anything I wanted. The crew that came to reattach them was
equally as nice. I hope the gas guys are too.

(Please, do us all a favor and stick to the matter at hand. Please don't
associate this project with the Affordable Care Act or government control
of our lives or the NSA installing video cameras throughout my house.
Thanks!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 17:12:35 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I haven't had street work done; but my gas meter was replaced without
the pilot flame going out. No need to enter the home by the
installer. (I never did find out what device they used to do that.)

Maybe the home entrance policy and testing is a case of CYA /
Liability issues by the gas utility. Might check the web page for the
company and see if it can be explained - why.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

For most gas companies it IS policy - and for good reason. They are
disturbing the piping system, and to be sure there are no safety
issues, they will check before turning the gas back on.

Only a total fool would refuse entry and not accept the inspection -
even IF the gas company would turn on the gas without.

That inspection costs $300 here if you request it. A relatively new
home, in a new neighbourhood, blew up here a year ago. Everyone was
concerned about gas leaks. The utility offered to do free tests to
over 700 homes - some 300 accepted, and about 161 leaks were found and
fixed - 3 houses required more repairs and had gas shut off. (google
activa explosion kitchener)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2013 12:12 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
They said that as part of the
project they have to pressure check my interior gas piping and if the test
shows a leak, they can not connect the new gas service.

In some municipalities, a pressure test can be a real pain in the ass.

Here, they make you disconnect *all* gas appliances and cap off the connections.
Then they pressurize your piping system to 10 PSI and it has to hold that pressure for 8 hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

someone wrote:
On 11/15/2013 12:12 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
They said that as part of the
project they have to pressure check my interior gas piping and if the test
shows a leak, they can not connect the new gas service.

In some municipalities, a pressure test can be a real pain in the ass.

Here, they make you disconnect *all* gas appliances and cap off the connections.
Then they pressurize your piping system to 10 PSI and it has to hold that
pressure for 8 hours.

That's not the case in this situation.

The crew said they'd be done in under 3 hours from the time they start
tearing up my lawn until the gas is back on, assuming no leaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Has anyone been through something similar? Does this sound like the normal
process for a gas service replacement process? I'm basically curious about
the "interior testing" part since it really has nothing to do with the
replacement of the exterior service. I guess they are just being "nice" and
making sure there are no explosions imminent, right?

I'd ask the guy who told you that to put it in writing and/or ask
the gas company what is up with this. Those would be the ones who would
really know. Even if it happened (say) in California, doesn't mean that
it works the same way in where ever you are.

My first thought, is that I don't really like the
idea of uninvited people in my home. If I'm the
guy who calls the curtains company, bring em all
in. But someone else decides to come in and test
my pipes, well, not liking that idea.

They didn't "decide to come and test my pipes", they asked for an
appointment.

I'd call
the gas company, see if this is policy. Or maybe
a freelance burglar team scoping out the job.

Did you miss the part where I said they've been working on replacing the
main for the last couple of weeks? If they are a freelance team scoping out
the job, their heavy equipment, plastic gas pipe, crusher run to refill
holes in the asphalt, hazard fencing, etc. is going to cost them a whole
lot more than they'd ever get if they robbed every house in the
neighborhood. This ain't no gated community...the haul wouldn't be worth
what they're spending to case the area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2013 4:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My first thought, is that I don't really like the
idea of uninvited people in my home. If I'm the
guy who calls the curtains company, bring em all
in. But someone else decides to come in and test
my pipes, well, not liking that idea.

They didn't "decide to come and test my pipes", they asked for an
appointment.

CY: Well, you sure didn't pick up the phone and
invite them. They approached you.

I'd call
the gas company, see if this is policy. Or maybe
a freelance burglar team scoping out the job.

Did you miss the part where I said they've been working on replacing the
main for the last couple of weeks? If they are a freelance team scoping out
the job, their heavy equipment, plastic gas pipe, crusher run to refill
holes in the asphalt, hazard fencing, etc. is going to cost them a whole
lot more than they'd ever get if they robbed every house in the
neighborhood. This ain't no gated community...the haul wouldn't be worth
what they're spending to case the area.

CY: My suggestion, still remains. I haven't changed
point of view.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 17:03:26 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

The total contents of Stormy's "trailer home" likely wouldn't be
worth the effort. - and letting an inspector within 10 feet might
result in the gas being shut off????
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/15/2013 4:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My first thought, is that I don't really like the
idea of uninvited people in my home. If I'm the
guy who calls the curtains company, bring em all
in. But someone else decides to come in and test
my pipes, well, not liking that idea.

They didn't "decide to come and test my pipes", they asked for an
appointment.

CY: Well, you sure didn't pick up the phone and
invite them. They approached you.

That's true. I didn't ask for the gas main on my street or the service to
my house to be replaced. They are doing without my permission. I'll show
them. I won't use my gas anymore.

I'd call
the gas company, see if this is policy. Or maybe
a freelance burglar team scoping out the job.

Did you miss the part where I said they've been working on replacing the
main for the last couple of weeks? If they are a freelance team scoping out
the job, their heavy equipment, plastic gas pipe, crusher run to refill
holes in the asphalt, hazard fencing, etc. is going to cost them a whole
lot more than they'd ever get if they robbed every house in the
neighborhood. This ain't no gated community...the haul wouldn't be worth
what they're spending to case the area.

CY: My suggestion, still remains. I haven't changed
point of view.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 23:49:48 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

CY: Well, you sure didn't pick up the phone and
invite them. They approached you.

That's true. I didn't ask for the gas main on my street or the service to
my house to be replaced. They are doing without my permission. I'll show
them. I won't use my gas anymore.

.... bring 'em to their knees and break their spirit
Posted to alt.home.repair

well around here they replaced all the lines around my moms home. Equitable gas pressure tested the exterior line, and did relight pilots but did not pressure test interior lines. just a quick safety walk thru

normal gas pressure is about 1/2 pound or less locally

pressure test is 10 pounds or sometimes 70 pounds. a friend smelled gas and reported it thinking the leak was from a neighbor. neighbors line was leaking they got a red tag.

but they pressure tested his home and red tagged it too.

he had to have all his gas line indoors replaced, after failed pressure test. his 1950 era lines had cnnections no longer approved with minor leaks.

the 3 plumbers he called all said it was cheaper to replace all the lines, since the pipe was cheap but their labor time expensive. the plumber reported its highly possible your home never leaked at 1/2 pound pressure but did leak at 70 pounds.

he reported the neighbor to give him grief, they were at war in a neigborhood parking war

the neighbor laughed at the reporter spending over 5 grand to replace all the gas lines in his home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
well around here they replaced all the lines around my moms home.
Equitable gas pressure tested the exterior line, and did relight pilots
but did not pressure test interior lines. just a quick safety walk thru

normal gas pressure is about 1/2 pound or less locally

pressure test is 10 pounds or sometimes 70 pounds. a friend smelled gas
and reported it thinking the leak was from a neighbor. neighbors line was
leaking they got a red tag.

but they pressure tested his home and red tagged it too.

he had to have all his gas line indoors replaced, after failed pressure
test. his 1950 era lines had cnnections no longer approved with minor leaks.

Well, this should be fun then. Assuming no one in my neighborhood has had
their interior lines replaced, my 1956 lines are the newest around. My
house was the last house built on the 2 blocks where the mains were
replaced. Some houses date to back to the 30s. If my house fails, I gotta
assume every other house will fail to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-15-2013, 23:26, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Well, this should be fun then. Assuming no one in my neighborhood has had
their interior lines replaced, my 1956 lines are the newest around. My
house was the last house built on the 2 blocks where the mains were
replaced. Some houses date to back to the 30s. If my house fails, I gotta
assume every other house will fail to.

If a plumber gets five thousand for one house, that would be a very
strong temptation for him to offer "ten dollars under the table for
every job I get from that street."

--
Wes Groleau

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...gs/pants-fire/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-15-2013, 12:12, DerbyDad03 wrote:
One guy approached me and said they he wanted to set up a time when I would
be home for a few hours so they could have access to the house to relight
any pilot lights after replacing the service from the street to the meter.

Knowing how clueless some people can be, having them offer to relight
every one's pilot lights is a pretty smart idea.

I was once paid to be a live-in aide for some old guy.

I offered to bake a cake.

He went to the oven, turned on the gas, hobbled over to the
refrigerator, felt around on top of it till he found the matches,
hobbled back over to the oven, and proceeded to demonstrate that
he could not move fast enough to strike a match.

I was just a teen, so I didn't realize the safest thing to do would be
to turn off the oven first and then ask him to let me do it.

But I was smart enough to know that what was happening was not safe.

So I snatched the match out of his hand, swiped it on my pants, and
stuck it in. BOOM!! first degree burns all the way to my elbow.

--
Wes Groleau

€œTo know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying
Amen to what the world tells you you should prefer,
is to have kept your soul alive.€
€” Robert Louis Stevenson

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2013 6:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/15/2013 4:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My first thought, is that I don't really like the
idea of uninvited people in my home. If I'm the
guy who calls the curtains company, bring em all
in. But someone else decides to come in and test
my pipes, well, not liking that idea.

They didn't "decide to come and test my pipes", they asked for an
appointment.

CY: Well, you sure didn't pick up the phone and
invite them. They approached you.

That's true. I didn't ask for the gas main on my street or the service to
my house to be replaced. They are doing without my permission. I'll show
them. I won't use my gas anymore.

You are still four years old?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The only way for them to shut my gas off, is to stick a cork in me. I like
my beans & wieners.
--
..
Christopher A. Young

air leak test question Jim Home Repair 3 August 31st 09 01:16 PM
ESR & low resistance test meter - free circuit Homer J Simpson Electronics Repair 7 October 29th 06 05:23 AM
leak free threaded pipe joints Eigenvector Home Repair 23 October 12th 06 01:08 AM
Leak free seal for basin drain Jag Man Home Repair 5 April 7th 05 08:09 PM
gas fire leak test andy smith UK diy 5 September 26th 03 10:28 PM