Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Free Gas Leak Test and Repair?

They are in the process of replacing the gas service in my neighborhood.
New main, new shutoffs, new service to house, move meter outside if
currently inside, etc. (They are not installing smart meters)

They have been doing the main for the past couple of weeks and are now
beginning to tie in the individual services to each house. As I was leaving
for work this morning, the crew was digging in the yard across the street.
One guy approached me and said they he wanted to set up a time when I would
be home for a few hours so they could have access to the house to relight
any pilot lights after replacing the service from the street to the meter.

I told them that the only pilot light I have is for my WH and that I could
relight it on my own when they were done. They said that as part of the
project they have to pressure check my interior gas piping and if the test
shows a leak, they can not connect the new gas service. Instead they will
call the utility and have them come out and determine the source of the
leak. Therefore, they need someone to be available in case there's a
problem.

I asked them if this was like the phone company, who charge for repairs if
the problem is inside the house, and they said no. As part of the project,
it's like a "one time deal". No charge for the test, and no charge for
repairs if required.

Has anyone been through something similar? Does this sound like the normal
process for a gas service replacement process? I'm basically curious about
the "interior testing" part since it really has nothing to do with the
replacement of the exterior service. I guess they are just being "nice" and
making sure there are no explosions imminent, right?

(Please, do us all a favor and stick to the matter at hand. Please don't
associate this project with the Affordable Care Act or government control
of our lives or the NSA installing video cameras throughout my house.
Thanks!)