Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default air leak test question

Hello,
I have a 2600 sq ft four level split home. I had a representative
from energuide do a household energy efficient rating on our home. ... He
shut up the entire house and then installed a series of fans in the doorway
and did a "negative pressure test" to find any air leaks...Among a few of
the recomendations he gave me was to seal my wall receptacles using this
foam thing I put behind the cover plates to reduce outside air from
travelling into the house on the outside walls... My question is should I
have to do the basement? The wall is like under the ground so I can't see
sealing these wall plugs and switches will do anything... Thoughts? Thank
you.... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
Hello,
I have a 2600 sq ft four level split home. I had a representative
from energuide do a household energy efficient rating on our home. ... He
shut up the entire house and then installed a series of fans in the doorway
and did a "negative pressure test" to find any air leaks...Among a few of
the recomendations he gave me was to seal my wall receptacles using this
foam thing I put behind the cover plates to reduce outside air from
travelling into the house on the outside walls... My question is should I
have to do the basement? The wall is like under the ground so I can't see
sealing these wall plugs and switches will do anything... Thoughts? Thank
you.... Jim

Hi,
I did it long tie ago at my cabin. Since they don't cost much I did all
over the place, unpstairs, downstairs, basement. Nowadays they wrap
the box with plastic envelope to cut off air infiltration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:39:23 -0600, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

Hello,
I have a 2600 sq ft four level split home. I had a representative
from energuide do a household energy efficient rating on our home. ... He
shut up the entire house and then installed a series of fans in the doorway
and did a "negative pressure test" to find any air leaks...Among a few of
the recomendations he gave me was to seal my wall receptacles using this
foam thing I put behind the cover plates to reduce outside air from
travelling into the house on the outside walls... My question is should I
have to do the basement? The wall is like under the ground so I can't see
sealing these wall plugs and switches will do anything... Thoughts? Thank
you.... Jim

It's a good idea to seal all of them. Making dead air spaces is what
you want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You had an energy guide guy actually in your home, saw the
construction of your home, and did actual tests. Now you
have a question, and you are asking a bunch of anonymous
screen names with computers? That doesn't make sense. I'd
call the energy guy's office and ask them.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

el...