Posted to alt.home.repair

Default air leak test question

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:39:23 -0600, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

Hello,
I have a 2600 sq ft four level split home. I had a representative
from energuide do a household energy efficient rating on our home. ... He
shut up the entire house and then installed a series of fans in the doorway
and did a "negative pressure test" to find any air leaks...Among a few of
the recomendations he gave me was to seal my wall receptacles using this
foam thing I put behind the cover plates to reduce outside air from
travelling into the house on the outside walls... My question is should I
have to do the basement? The wall is like under the ground so I can't see
sealing these wall plugs and switches will do anything... Thoughts? Thank
you.... Jim

It's a good idea to seal all of them. Making dead air spaces is what
you want.