Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.mobilehome

Default Replacing glass in crank type windows (mobile home)

The older mobile homes had a lot of windows that are three piece and
open using a crank. The one I'm repairing has several of those window
panes broken. While I can put glass in any wooden window frame, and
have succeeded a few times on aluminum storm windows, these crank
windows are a lot different. Can a homeowner replace the glass or is
some special machine needed? Actually, will a regular store that sells
glass have the tools and skill to do that work, or does one have to go
to a mobile home company?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 8, 2013 5:14:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
The older mobile homes had a lot of windows that are three piece and

open using a crank. The one I'm repairing has several of those window

panes broken. While I can put glass in any wooden window frame, and

have succeeded a few times on aluminum storm windows, these crank

windows are a lot different. Can a homeowner replace the glass or is

some special machine needed? Actually, will a regular store that sells

glass have the tools and skill to do that work, or does one have to go

to a mobile home company?

Are these steel framed? I replaced glass in a steel-framed window years ago.. As I recall, there were some sort of springy things that pressed against the outer lip of the steel frame and the glass, the pressure keeping the glass in place. The glazing was applied as usual after the glass had been secured.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.mobilehome

Gunn,

They're sometimes called Jalousie Windows or louvered windows. Is your
window glass surrounded by a metal frame or is the glass open at the bottom
with a polished edge?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.mobilehome

David L. Martel wrote:
Gunn,

They're sometimes called Jalousie Windows or louvered windows. Is your
window glass surrounded by a metal frame or is the glass open at the bottom
with a polished edge?

Dave M.

I think the OP has casement windows. The kind that the whole frame and
glass crank out

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 8, 2013 4:14:22 AM UTC-6, wrote:
The older mobile homes had a lot of windows that are three piece and open using a crank. The one I'm repairing has several of those window panes broken. While I can put glass in any wooden window frame, and have succeeded a few times on aluminum storm windows, these crank windows are a lot different. Can a homeowner replace the glass or is some special machine needed? Actually, will a regular store that sells glass have the tools and skill to do that work, or does one have to go to a mobile home company?

How about a photo or two to clear up what you are talking about?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.mobilehome

On 11/8/2013 10:59 AM, willshak wrote:
David L. Martel wrote:
Gunn,

They're sometimes called Jalousie Windows or louvered windows. Is
your window glass surrounded by a metal frame or is the glass open at
the bottom with a polished edge?

Dave M.

I think the OP has casement windows. The kind that the whole frame and
glass crank out

That would be my guess. Jalousie glass is simply held with a couple of
clips and slides in and out.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.mobilehome

wrote:
The older mobile homes had a lot of windows that are three piece and
open using a crank. The one I'm repairing has several of those window
panes broken. While I can put glass in any wooden window frame, and
have succeeded a few times on aluminum storm windows, these crank
windows are a lot different. Can a homeowner replace the glass or is
some special machine needed? Actually, will a regular store that sells
glass have the tools and skill to do that work, or does one have to go
to a mobile home company?

I don't know if this is in the budget, but have you considered replace the
entire window?

I had a three light, double casement window above my kitchen sink. It had
some cracked panes and one side had to be drawn closed with a wood clamp
and then locked to keep it closed. I replaced it with a slider vinyl
replacement window and couldn't be happier. It's much more efficient and
opens and closes much more easily. No more cranking...just a simple slide.
Easy removal for cleaning also.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.mobilehome

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 08:36:47 -0500, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Gunn,

They're sometimes called Jalousie Windows or louvered windows. Is your
window glass surrounded by a metal frame or is the glass open at the bottom
with a polished edge?

Dave M.

The glass is surrounded by metal on all 4 edges. (aluminum frame).

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.mobilehome

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 17:39:13 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

[...]

I have considered that, and may still replace the three windows on one
end of the trailer and use the parts from those to fix the others. When
I bought the trailer there were 2 broken panes. After moving the
trailer, there are now 7 broken panes, plus a broken inner storm window.
(storms are on the inside). The trailer is old, but still solid. I
bought it to be used as a guest house and for some storage space too.
So the budget is small. But I know a few of the crank mechanisms dont
work, in fact one window someone screwed shut. So my thoughts are to
just replace those 3 windows and hopefully have enough parts from those
3 to fix the others.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.mobilehome

Gunn,

Ok, look on the exterior of the windows. Do you see what look like trim
pieces between the glass and the frame? There should be 4 of them running
around the inner edge of the frame. They are spring clips. Gently and
carefully pry them out with a putty knife. Try not to deform them. Once they
are out of the way you should see the glass edges embedded in glazing
compound. remove the glass and glazing compound. Clean up the frames with a
putty knife. Et c.
If this doesn't help post a few pics.

Dave M

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.mobilehome

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 08:25:13 -0500, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Gunn,

Ok, look on the exterior of the windows. Do you see what look like trim
pieces between the glass and the frame? There should be 4 of them running
around the inner edge of the frame. They are spring clips. Gently and
carefully pry them out with a putty knife. Try not to deform them. Once they
are out of the way you should see the glass edges embedded in glazing
compound. remove the glass and glazing compound. Clean up the frames with a
putty knife. Et c.
If this doesn't help post a few pics.

Dave M

Thanks Dave

Next time I'm there I'll see if they are made as you say. At least I
have an idea what to look for now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How do u remove one window panel to put portable air conditioner in
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/2/2019 8:03 PM, wrote:
How do u remove one window panel to put portable air conditioner in

You want to remove the glass? Usually it is held in with a rubber seal
you can pull out.