Posted to alt.home.repair
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Replacing glass in crank type windows (mobile home)

On Friday, November 8, 2013 5:14:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
The older mobile homes had a lot of windows that are three piece and

open using a crank. The one I'm repairing has several of those window

panes broken. While I can put glass in any wooden window frame, and

have succeeded a few times on aluminum storm windows, these crank

windows are a lot different. Can a homeowner replace the glass or is

some special machine needed? Actually, will a regular store that sells

glass have the tools and skill to do that work, or does one have to go

to a mobile home company?

Are these steel framed? I replaced glass in a steel-framed window years ago.. As I recall, there were some sort of springy things that pressed against the outer lip of the steel frame and the glass, the pressure keeping the glass in place. The glazing was applied as usual after the glass had been secured.

Paul