Alex

Default Replacing, enlarging, plus adding windows to brick home -- suggestions please...

Hi all,

My home was built in the early 80's during the energy crisis, so the
windows in the bedrooms and living room are very small -- about 34"
tall - and way high. I want to remove these windows and replace them
with longer windows to let in more light in plus allow better breeze
when the windows are all open.

My home is brick, which would require cutting the brick, so this is a
task better left to the pros. Can someone give ideas on cost for
decent windows and the cost to have them installed? This will
probably be paid for with income-tax return, so I don't want to call
any contractors too soon. I mainly am looking for ballpark prices
right now.

In all, I have two windows that are 34" tall by 68" wide, one is 34"
by 34", and I also have a wall with no window which I want a window
installed. The way my house is designed I also have two front-facing
windows, one 34"x34" and one 34"x68" that can't be replaced due to
them being built into a window-box frame. I might also get these
replaced just so they match the other windows.

I'm betting replacing replacing 6 windows won't be cheap -- windows
nor labor, but I'm planning on being in this home for the long haul,
so want to do it right. I'd like to think I can do this for under
$1500, but i bet that's way too low of an estimate since I'd like to
use double-pain vinyl windows.

Anyone gone through a similar project? Thanks,

Sam
HA HA Budys Here

From: (Alex)

[...]

1500.00 won't get the brickwork removed for 2 windows,
supplied/enlarged/installed, and brickwork restored.

You can keep costs down by choosing replacement new construction windows sold
in standard sizes that do not require a wider rough opening than your current
windows. Not having to rebuild exterior stud walls and replace narrow headers
is a big time & money saver.
Harry K

(Alex) wrote in message . com...
[...]

You're right, it is way too low. The only way you will get a 'ball
park figure' is to call some contractors and have them bid it. You
don't need to wait for a refund. No money is in jeopardy until you
actually sign a contract.

Harry K