Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.mobilehome
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Replacing glass in crank type windows (mobile home)

wrote:
The older mobile homes had a lot of windows that are three piece and
open using a crank. The one I'm repairing has several of those window
panes broken. While I can put glass in any wooden window frame, and
have succeeded a few times on aluminum storm windows, these crank
windows are a lot different. Can a homeowner replace the glass or is
some special machine needed? Actually, will a regular store that sells
glass have the tools and skill to do that work, or does one have to go
to a mobile home company?

I don't know if this is in the budget, but have you considered replace the
entire window?

I had a three light, double casement window above my kitchen sink. It had
some cracked panes and one side had to be drawn closed with a wood clamp
and then locked to keep it closed. I replaced it with a slider vinyl
replacement window and couldn't be happier. It's much more efficient and
opens and closes much more easily. No more cranking...just a simple slide.
Easy removal for cleaning also.