Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solid stain cedar siding, spray or brush?

I'm going to paint my house which has cedar siding and trying
to decide whether to just use a brush or use a sprayer and
back-brush it? Any thoughts? One thing I've noticed in working
with the sample colors, the siding has a rough grain and with
a brush it takes some effort and going over it multiple times
to get the stain into all the nooks and crannies. I'm thinking
a sprayer might be better at flying the paint into those spots,
then the brush finishes working it in and smooths it out? Seems
like it could go faster.

But it also seems that spray/brush would work best with two
people, one to spray, one two brush? Don't have a sprayer
either, but looks like I could buy a decent one for under $200.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I'm going to paint my house which has cedar siding and trying
to decide whether to just use a brush or use a sprayer and
back-brush it? Any thoughts? One thing I've noticed in working
with the sample colors, the siding has a rough grain and with
a brush it takes some effort and going over it multiple times
to get the stain into all the nooks and crannies. I'm thinking
a sprayer might be better at flying the paint into those spots,
then the brush finishes working it in and smooths it out? Seems
like it could go faster.

But it also seems that spray/brush would work best with two
people, one to spray, one two brush? Don't have a sprayer
either, but looks like I could buy a decent one for under $200.

Just assuming you will use a latex stain, since you mention spraying. I
believe it's illegal to spray oil anywhere. Anyways, if you intend to
spray latex, chances are it will set up (read dry) b/4 you have a chance to
back brush it since you shouldn't spray a thick coat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm going to paint my house which has cedar siding and trying
to decide whether to just use a brush or use a sprayer and
back-brush it? Any thoughts? One thing I've noticed in working
with the sample colors, the siding has a rough grain and with
a brush it takes some effort and going over it multiple times
to get the stain into all the nooks and crannies. I'm thinking
a sprayer might be better at flying the paint into those spots,
then the brush finishes working it in and smooths it out? Seems
like it could go faster.

But it also seems that spray/brush would work best with two
people, one to spray, one two brush? Don't have a sprayer
either, but looks like I could buy a decent one for under $200.

I am hoping that you get some useful responses to these questions since I
would be interested in seeing what others think about this idea.

Given what you wrote, my inclination would be to suggest that spraying and
back brushing would probably be the fastest and most efficient approach.

But, if it were ME actually doing it, I am not sure how well I would do with
the sprayer and spray process. I would probably have to watch a ton of
How-To YouTube videos to get a sense of how to do it and see if I think I
could do it.. I would be concerned about the type of sprayer, the type of
paint, how to keep the sprayer clean and working properly, avoiding
overspray, avoiding spray particles ending up on neighbors cars, etc.

Rather than buying a sprayer, I think I would be inclined to rent a
commercial grade sprayer and try using that first.

A friend and I did once spray the entire inside of a vacant 3-story home
that we owned together at the shore many years ago -- all white ceilings and
walls, and nothing fancy. His family had a painting business so he showed
me what to do. It worked out okay, and it was fun to do and try, but it
wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

I had a professional painting company paint the exterior of a 2 story
colonial style home with asbestos siding and they used a sprayer for a lot
of the work. They knew what they were doing and may quick work of the job.
They put tarps on the roof to prevent overspray and carried hand-held
aluminum(?) spray shields to block off areas that they wanted to protect
from the overspray. The good news about doing exterior painting is that you
don't have to worry about messing up the interior of the house and there
aren't really overhead ceilings etc to deal with (just some eaves).

As far as brush painting without the spray process, the only thing I could
think of would be to be sure to glob on lots of paint and then brush it out.
The extra paint should cause the paint to flow into the crevices better.
Too little paint on the paint brush can take forever to try to get the paint
into the tiny crevices and spaces. I learned that from some professional
painters when I was a teenager. Or, maybe roll the paint on fairly heavy
and then brush it out.

My guess is that before I would venture into me doing any spray painting I
would probably try a couple of other techniques first at ground level and
see how it worked out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 09:33:20 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I'm going to paint my house which has cedar siding and trying
to decide whether to just use a brush or use a sprayer and
back-brush it? Any thoughts? One thing I've noticed in working
with the sample colors, the siding has a rough grain and with
a brush it takes some effort and going over it multiple times
to get the stain into all the nooks and crannies. I'm thinking
a sprayer might be better at flying the paint into those spots,
then the brush finishes working it in and smooths it out? Seems
like it could go faster.

But it also seems that spray/brush would work best with two
people, one to spray, one two brush? Don't have a sprayer
either, but looks like I could buy a decent one for under $200.

I have not dealt with cedar siding, but will comment.

Spraying would be my choice over a brush. Perhaps two coats - one
horizontal, one vertical to fill all the crevices, etc. Any touch up
could be done with a brush if necessary.

The windows and doors would need masking to catch the over spray.

Completely avoid a sprayer that shall remain nameless, Wager, is a
waste of money.

Craco has a small unit that can handle a gallon or a five gallon
bucket. ( I'm biased towards Craco Airless sprayers)

http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/w500/pict/121081548619_/Graco-257025-Magnum-Project-Painter-Plus-Airless-25.jpg

Haven't checked the price but I bet you can rent one easily. Craco
also has extensions for the gun to reach farther up. Various tips give
wide or tight patterns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I'm going to paint my house which has cedar siding and trying
to decide whether to just use a brush or use a sprayer and
back-brush it? Any thoughts? One thing I've noticed in working
with the sample colors, the siding has a rough grain and with
a brush it takes some effort and going over it multiple times
to get the stain into all the nooks and crannies. I'm thinking
a sprayer might be better at flying the paint into those spots,
then the brush finishes working it in and smooths it out? Seems
like it could go faster.

But it also seems that spray/brush would work best with two
people, one to spray, one two brush? Don't have a sprayer
either, but looks like I could buy a decent one for under $200.

If you spray get $1,000,000 of Liability Insurance First

http://www.paintsquare.com/news/?fus...n=view&id=3907
http://www.paintsquare.com/standards...n=view&id=1724

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:54:01 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
wrote:

I'm going to paint my house which has cedar siding and trying

to decide whether to just use a brush or use a sprayer and

back-brush it? Any thoughts? One thing I've noticed in working

with the sample colors, the siding has a rough grain and with

a brush it takes some effort and going over it multiple times

to get the stain into all the nooks and crannies. I'm thinking

a sprayer might be better at flying the paint into those spots,

then the brush finishes working it in and smooths it out? Seems

like it could go faster.

But it also seems that spray/brush would work best with two

people, one to spray, one two brush? Don't have a sprayer

either, but looks like I could buy a decent one for under $200.

I found this YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW-5tk4GqrY

and this website by the guy who made the video:

http://www.howtopaintahouseright.com/ ,

and they both look like they would be useful.

Thanks for those videos. I had also found some videos that
show spraying and back-brushing, but had not seen this guy's
work. This one is really good because in addition to the
video showing spraying, he has one that shows rolling on the
same house, same siding so you can compare the two methods.

Thanks for the other post too. We are thinking along the
same lines. I'm not convinced spraying and back-brushing is
that much more advantageous. As I stated in my first post,
I thought that spraying might fly the paint into the crevices
and rough spots on cedar siding easier than other methods.
With a brush, for example, it takes many passes to work it in.
I thought the sprayer would get some in there right away and
it might be easier to then work the rest in with the brush.
But, if that is an advantage, of the 8 or so videos I've seen
now, no painter mentions that. In fact, it's kind of the opposite,
with them saying the back-brushing is necessary to work the paint
into the crevices.

So, I'm left wondering what the compelling advantage to spraying
on rough siding really is. The painters are saying it gets the
paint on faster, then you can work it in with the brush. But...
what about all the time spent taping off? And you can out paint
on quickly with a long nap roller, then back-brush it, not taping
off everything required. That is probably the method I'm going to
try first.

I'm now starting to think if the spraying could be useful for some
other parts of the job. For example, spraying the gutters. Oddly,
in the video you found, he talks about taping off the gutters to
do the fascia. It would seem to me it's far better to remove the
gutters and paint them. That's what the pro did last time I had
the house done and they came out excellent. I can't imagine all
the work it must be to tape off gutters that are attached to a
house. I also have large, 3 ft soffits around the house and am
thinking spraying might be a good way to do those.

You also brought out some other good points, like will a sprayer
work on thick stain, like the BM I'm planning on using or do I have
to thin it out? Seems like it should work as is, but who knows....
I'm going to ask the paint store guy that. If I do decide to spray,
seems like the Milwaukee sprayer that HD had for $180 on sale would
be a good choice. It's 3000 psi, .31 GPM, 5/8 hp. Don't know what
the deal is with that. They had one for sale near the tool rental
in the store. Didn't say it was a return or anything. Regular price
on line is about 2x that and they didn't have Milwaukee anything with
the rest of the paint sprayers. But I did see a lot of people online
that said they had bought one at HD and that they were very satisfied
with it. Except people pointed out that the gun that comes with it,
there is no extension wands available. I can see that being a real
problem, especially if you paid $350 for it.

In short, I can see spraying when it's a smooth surface and that's
all you have to do. But I'm not convinced there is a big advantage
and maybe no advantage at all to spraying rough cedar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 04:47:34 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

You also brought out some other good points, like will a sprayer
work on thick stain, like the BM I'm planning on using or do I have
to thin it out? Seems like it should work as is, but who knows....
I'm going to ask the paint store guy that.

When I spray I always use the strainers from HD (mesh bag). It
removes much of the "things" that can clog the sprayer tips, Straining
helps to prevent that. It works great on thick elastomeric acrylic
latex exterior paint on stucco.

http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/thumbnails.inkfrog.com/pix/Tim6013/108_1576_001.JPG/600/0
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You also brought out some other good points, like will a sprayer

work on thick stain, like the BM I'm planning on using or do I have

to thin it out? Seems like it should work as is, but who knows....

I'm going to ask the paint store guy that.

When I spray I always use the strainers from HD (mesh bag). It

removes much of the "things" that can clog the sprayer tips, Straining

helps to prevent that. It works great on thick elastomeric acrylic

latex exterior paint on stucco.

http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/thumbnails.inkfrog.com/pix/Tim6013/108_1576_001.JPG/600/0

I can see a strainer on paint that is old or an open bucket that has
been sitting around for a while, etc. But do you think I need to do
it even with a 5 gallon pail that I get mixed and use right away?
I'm afraid I'll be going through paint at a horrific rate. The siding
is dry, rough, lots of crevices, grain, etc.

BTW, I think we'll find out how the spraying works. I just got
back from HD. I couldn't resist that $190 price for the Milwaukee.
It's 50% off and I came to the conclusion that at the very least
it could make painting the soffits, porch ceiling, etc go faster.
Plus I need to spray my gutters. At that price, I don't think
you can go wrong. From what I see online, it appears Graco is a
better brand, but for the price and what I need it for, looks like
this is a real good deal. The Milwaukee even is a cart type with
wheels that holds a 5 gal bucket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 09:37:49 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/thumbnails.inkfrog.com/pix/Tim6013/108_1576_001.JPG/600/0

I can see a strainer on paint that is old or an open bucket that has
been sitting around for a while, etc. But do you think I need to do
it even with a 5 gallon pail that I get mixed and use right away?
I'm afraid I'll be going through paint at a horrific rate. The siding
is dry, rough, lots of crevices, grain, etc.

Even after having paint mixed at the store I still use a drill and
paddle to mix it before I strain it. A strainer may not be needed for
stain. Can't say.

BTW, I think we'll find out how the spraying works. I just got
back from HD. I couldn't resist that $190 price for the Milwaukee.
It's 50% off and I came to the conclusion that at the very least
it could make painting the soffits, porch ceiling, etc go faster.
Plus I need to spray my gutters. At that price, I don't think
you can go wrong. From what I see online, it appears Graco is a
better brand, but for the price and what I need it for, looks like
this is a real good deal. The Milwaukee even is a cart type with
wheels that holds a 5 gal bucket.

Did you say there are no wands available? Curious if the Craco will
adapt. I'll check out the unit you bought.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you find out anything related to that, let me know. I saw
several people that wrote evaluations online about the Milwaukee and
the consensus was that there are no wands from M or anyone else that
will fit. Some bought a Graco gun and solved it that way. It does
seem really dumb. I haven't used a sprayer before, but it would seem
to me that in some cases, it could make work a lot easier. Like
spraying my soffits on the one story part of my house. With a wand
I could probably do that from the ground, right? Other than that, the
reviews were overall very good. And for $190 and the amount of times
I might need a wand, figured it was OK.

FYI, it a model M4910-21
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:54:01 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
I found this YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW-5tk4GqrY

and this website by the guy who made the video:

http://www.howtopaintahouseright.com/ ,

and they both look like they would be useful.

Thanks for those videos. I had also found some videos that
show spraying and back-brushing, but had not seen this guy's
work. This one is really good because in addition to the
video showing spraying, he has one that shows rolling on the
same house, same siding so you can compare the two methods.

You're welcome. I was glad that I found the videos and I saved them for my
own future use. I started looking at more of his videos yesterday and they
all seem pretty good.

I also went ahead and bought the guy's book on Amazon.com just for kicks.
There is another book about real estate that I wanted to order anyway, but
in order to get there free "super saver" shipping I needed to bring the
order above $25, so I added his book to do that.

His book looks like an easy read and it looks like it talks some about the
painting business in general. While I don't want to have a painting
business of my own, I always thought that with the right training and not a
huge investment, motivated high school seniors or college students could
probably set up a small painting business for themselves as a way to make
money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 06:07:43 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

If you find out anything related to that, let me know. I saw
several people that wrote evaluations online about the Milwaukee and
the consensus was that there are no wands from M or anyone else that
will fit. Some bought a Graco gun and solved it that way. It does
seem really dumb. I haven't used a sprayer before, but it would seem
to me that in some cases, it could make work a lot easier. Like
spraying my soffits on the one story part of my house. With a wand
I could probably do that from the ground, right? Other than that, the
reviews were overall very good. And for $190 and the amount of times
I might need a wand, figured it was OK.

FYI, it a model M4910-21

With a wand you can spray 12' - 14' ceilings without a ladder.

Seems the threads on the wands / fittings are different.

Ya might check Craiglist for a Craco gun. I have seen them on a rare
occasion.

The sprayer you bought is also HVLP for finer finishes. Not a bad
thing :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 10:10:25 -0600, "Hot-Text"
wrote:

Hope you do not have to pay
To the Cleaning and repaint Cars
and Home for 10 mi. away