Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solid stain cedar siding, spray or brush?

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:52:04 AM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 04:47:34 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

You also brought out some other good points, like will a sprayer

work on thick stain, like the BM I'm planning on using or do I have

to thin it out? Seems like it should work as is, but who knows....

I'm going to ask the paint store guy that.

When I spray I always use the strainers from HD (mesh bag). It

removes much of the "things" that can clog the sprayer tips, Straining

helps to prevent that. It works great on thick elastomeric acrylic

latex exterior paint on stucco.

http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/thumbnails.inkfrog.com/pix/Tim6013/108_1576_001.JPG/600/0

I can see a strainer on paint that is old or an open bucket that has
been sitting around for a while, etc. But do you think I need to do
it even with a 5 gallon pail that I get mixed and use right away?
I'm afraid I'll be going through paint at a horrific rate. The siding
is dry, rough, lots of crevices, grain, etc.

BTW, I think we'll find out how the spraying works. I just got
back from HD. I couldn't resist that $190 price for the Milwaukee.
It's 50% off and I came to the conclusion that at the very least
it could make painting the soffits, porch ceiling, etc go faster.
Plus I need to spray my gutters. At that price, I don't think
you can go wrong. From what I see online, it appears Graco is a
better brand, but for the price and what I need it for, looks like
this is a real good deal. The Milwaukee even is a cart type with
wheels that holds a 5 gal bucket.