Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing vynil siding over existing cedar plank siding.

I have a question about the installation of vynil siding over cedar
plank siding. I am going to be doing the siding myself and wanted to
know if it would be easier to mount a thinner plywood over the
existing siding to create a smooth surface, or if I should fill the
gaps with a furring strip?

Any suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 16, 5:12 pm, TheRegit wrote:
I have a question about the installation of vynil siding over cedar
plank siding. I am going to be doing the siding myself and wanted to
know if it would be easier to mount a thinner plywood over the
existing siding to create a smooth surface, or if I should fill the
gaps with a furring strip?

Any suggestions.

Putting vinyl over cedar siding is insane unless the wood is damaged
beyond repair. If the damage is in fact hopeless, then strip it all
off to the sheathing, make neceassary sheathing and flashing repairs
and apply Tyvek wrap. Then install vinyl per manufacturer
recommendations and you should have a decent looking job.
If the wood siding is repairable, by all means make the repairs and
consider getting some professional help to prepare for painting. A
well maintained cedar sided house will always appraise far higher than
one with ordinary vinyl siding. Make your choice based on your
perceived best value. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thank you for speaking for many of us, and phrasing it much more nicely than
I was about to.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

[...]