Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solid stain cedar siding, spray or brush?

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 4:45:49 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 09:37:49 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/thumbnails.inkfrog.com/pix/Tim6013/108_1576_001.JPG/600/0

I can see a strainer on paint that is old or an open bucket that has

been sitting around for a while, etc. But do you think I need to do

it even with a 5 gallon pail that I get mixed and use right away?

I'm afraid I'll be going through paint at a horrific rate. The siding

is dry, rough, lots of crevices, grain, etc.

Even after having paint mixed at the store I still use a drill and

paddle to mix it before I strain it. A strainer may not be needed for

stain. Can't say.

BTW, I think we'll find out how the spraying works. I just got

back from HD. I couldn't resist that $190 price for the Milwaukee.

It's 50% off and I came to the conclusion that at the very least

it could make painting the soffits, porch ceiling, etc go faster.

Plus I need to spray my gutters. At that price, I don't think

you can go wrong. From what I see online, it appears Graco is a

better brand, but for the price and what I need it for, looks like

this is a real good deal. The Milwaukee even is a cart type with

wheels that holds a 5 gal bucket.

Did you say there are no wands available? Curious if the Craco will

adapt. I'll check out the unit you bought.

If you find out anything related to that, let me know. I saw
several people that wrote evaluations online about the Milwaukee and
the consensus was that there are no wands from M or anyone else that
will fit. Some bought a Graco gun and solved it that way. It does
seem really dumb. I haven't used a sprayer before, but it would seem
to me that in some cases, it could make work a lot easier. Like
spraying my soffits on the one story part of my house. With a wand
I could probably do that from the ground, right? Other than that, the
reviews were overall very good. And for $190 and the amount of times
I might need a wand, figured it was OK.

FYI, it a model M4910-21