Posted to alt.home.repair

Default small privacy trees

Hi
Sorry if this off topic. Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 8:07*pm, leza wang wrote:
Hi
Sorry if this off topic. Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

It's hard to tell from the various pics you posted what the
real objective is. If you want privacy then it has to be an
evergreen. And you have a very small area to work with
between the street/driveway and the sidewalk.
So I don't know of a tree that will work. But I would think
that an emerald green arborvitae would be a reasonable
choice. Planted a few feet apart they will grow together
and block out the view.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/27/13 7:07 PM, leza wang wrote:
Hi Sorry if this off topic. Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet
tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I
live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

Some yew variant?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 7:07*pm, leza wang wrote:
Hi
Sorry if this off topic. Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

What do you mean by "land boards"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 May 2013 17:07:30 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

Hi
Sorry if this off topic. Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

I suggest you visit a local nursery for suggestions. They will have
trees and hedges that will do what you want and you can see what they
look like. For privacy in winter, they should be an evergreen of
sorts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/27/2013 5:07 PM, leza wang wrote:
Hi
Sorry if this off topic. Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

Are you willing to prune the trees to make a hedge? If so, any closely
planted evergreen tree will do. Cedar, Douglas fir, what grows in your
area? just plant close together and prune top and sides to create the hedge!

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 27, 2013 5:07:30 PM UTC-7, leza wang wrote:
Hi

Sorry if this off topic. Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...w=1366&bih=602

But you will have to wait several years.
Senior Member

Lavender bush?

Lavender bushes do well even here in Manitoba, so they should grow well in a slightly milder climate like Toronto. Bumble bees love lavendar bushes because they have so many flowers. The bee doesn't have to fly around all day looking for flowers; he can spend a whole day just on one lavender bush.

Last edited by nestork : May 28th 13 at 06:57 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 1:41*am, nestork wrote:
Lavender bush?

[image:http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p.../25063521.jpg]

--
nestork

dont plant the whatever on the property line lest he neighbor sekks
and the new one decides to put up a fence, and cuts down your
plants.....

this happended to a buddy of mine who was very upset, he said but you
always plant on the line. .....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 07:41:38 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Lavender bush?

[image: http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p.../25063521.jpg]

Lavender bushes do well even here in Manitoba, so they should grow well
in a slightly milder climate like Toronto. Bumble bees love lavendar
bushes because they have so many flowers. The bee doesn't have to fly
around all day looking for flowers; he can spend a whole day just on one
lavender bush.

Interesting. It never occurred to me that Lavender would survive
harsh winters. Lavender is used in desert landscape (residence and
road/ highways). Drip irrigation is used, due to the harsh heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

replying to leza wang , DA wrote:
lezawang wrote:
Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet tall) that I
can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto,
Ontario. Thanks a lot.

It is really hard to match hollyberries (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilex_aquifolium ) as a privacy barrier. They
are evergreen and pretty much impenetrable once they become big enough.
And they look pretty all year round, not to mention Christmas time Can
grow higher than what you need but they grow very slowly, pruning them to
size should not be a big burden. I live much further south than Toronto,
ON but I think I've seen them there as well, or at least some hardened
varieties.

--
/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...es-750133-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"leza wang" wrote in message ...
Hi
Sorry if this off topic. Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

More effective, quicker and probably cheaper in the long run to put up a 6-ft fence. And you may be able to get your neighbor to split the cost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Lavender bush?

[image: http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p.../25063521.jpg]

Lavender bushes do well even here in Manitoba, so they should grow well
in a slightly milder climate like Toronto. Bumble bees love lavendar
bushes because they have so many flowers. The bee doesn't have to fly
around all day looking for flowers; he can spend a whole day just on one
lavender bush.

Interesting. It never occurred to me that Lavender would survive
harsh winters. Lavender is used in desert landscape (residence and
road/ highways). Drip irrigation is used, due to the harsh heat.

There is a company in Quebec that developed a very hardy lavender
http://www.bleulavande.ca/
We visited a few years back
Should have brought some of their seeds

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren[_2_] View Post
wrote:

Lavender bush?

[image:
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p.../25063521.jpg]

Lavender bushes do well even here in Manitoba, so they should grow well
in a slightly milder climate like Toronto. Bumble bees love lavendar
bushes because they have so many flowers. The bee doesn't have to fly
around all day looking for flowers; he can spend a whole day just on one
lavender bush.

Interesting. It never occurred to me that Lavender would survive
harsh winters. Lavender is used in desert landscape (residence and
road/ highways). Drip irrigation is used, due to the harsh heat.
I don't know if there are different species of lavender bushes(?)

The lavender bushes that grow here are taller and don't have quite as many flowers as shown in the picture.

When I was a kid, one of the houses on the street I grew up on had a whole bunch of lavender bushes growing beside their garage. Those lavender bushes taught me that if you don't bother bees, they won't bother you. All summer long there would always be lots of bees in those lavender bushes collecting nectar from the flowers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2013 3:58 AM, bob haller wrote:
On May 28, 1:41 am, nestork wrote:
Lavender bush?

[image:http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p.../25063521.jpg]

Lavender bushes do well even here in Manitoba, so they should grow well
in a slightly milder climate like Toronto. Bumble bees love lavendar
bushes because they have so many flowers. The bee doesn't have to fly
around all day looking for flowers; he can spend a whole day just on one
lavender bush.

--
nestork

dont plant the whatever on the property line lest he neighbor sekks
and the new one decides to put up a fence, and cuts down your
plants.....

this happended to a buddy of mine who was very upset, he said but you
always plant on the line. .....

My sister planted a hedge five feet inside her property line for that
reason - and also as a courtesy to the (rude, awful) neighbor, so the
branches wouldn't create a nuisance by hanging over his property. What
did that courtesy gesture get her? Several years later, the neighbor
began constructing a massive garage that encroached onto her property.
When she protested, he told her the hedge constituted the property
line. She called him out on that because he knew better, but it suited
his plans to claim otherwise. Her lawyer had to threaten to sue both
the city and the neighbor before the city would do its job, read the
plat map and survey report, and red tag the garage-in-progress. The
neighbor had to do a hasty redesign of his garage. No sympathies
there, he'd known he was encroaching but thought he could get away
with it. And my sister had the hedge torn out and a fence built right
on the property line.

In retrospect, trying to be the better neighbor worked to her
disadvantage. I suppose she should've known better, since the reason
she put up the hedge in the first place was that the neighbor and his
family had the habit of using her yard as if it was theirs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Moe DeLoughan" wrote in message ...
[...]

Fences are good. I hope your sister or her attorney told him that by speaking up early she saved him having to spend demolition costs tearing it down and cut his construction costs in half.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 11:34*am, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
[...]

family had the habit of using her yard as if it was theirs.- Hide quoted text -

It's quite amazing that it would be so hard to get a
municipality to act on something as blatant as that.
It's one of those black and white things. Either there
is a min required distance from the property line for a
new structure or there isn't. And if not, either the new
structure is on the adjoining property or not. It would
seem just a surveyor and having the code official come
over would do it. But then, it is govt.....

I had a similar issue with a neighbor who was running
a business and then piling up junk vehicles. All that I
asked was that she put the junk stuff at the back of her
property, where it joined woods, and would be mostly out
of sight. Instead, she was piling it up right on the my
property line. When she refused, I went over to town
hall to the code enforcement guy. A few weeks went by
and he had done nothing. I went over again to talk to him
and he accused me of not even owning my own property.
I said fine, let's go over to the tax assesors office, where
I proved I was the owner. Even then, instead of apologizing,
he was still an arrogan ass.

So, I had my attorney send a letter to the township committee,
telling them to either perform their duties or we would sue.
A couple months later, the matter was in court, the township
having issued numerous violations to the pig. She and he
attorney were there. I was greated by the prosecutor and the
arrogant code official, who was now calling me Mr and Sir.
And it wasn't just an issue of junk anymore. I also had her
nailed for expanding uses on a non-conforming lot, by adding
multiple businesses that she didn't even own that were
added. Trial took one morning and upong being found guilty, piggy
headed into the nearby bathroom and we all heard her throwing
up.... All that, when just a wee bit of courtesy and she could
have still been doing what she pleased.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 May 2013 09:04:36 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

So, I had my attorney send a letter to the township committee,
telling them to either perform their duties or we would sue.
A couple months later, the matter was in court, the township
having issued numerous violations to the pig. She and he
attorney were there. I was greated by the prosecutor and the
arrogant code official, who was now calling me Mr and Sir.
And it wasn't just an issue of junk anymore. I also had her
nailed for expanding uses on a non-conforming lot, by adding
multiple businesses that she didn't even own that were
added. Trial took one morning and upong being found guilty, piggy
headed into the nearby bathroom and we all heard her throwing
up.... All that, when just a wee bit of courtesy and she could
have still been doing what she pleased.

Good for you!

Funny how officials can get humble right away. I like mine humble,
too. I've tuned up a few over the years.

All they had to do was use simple common sense... oh well :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 May 2013 23:54:24 +0200, nestork
wrote:

'Oren[_2_ Wrote:
;3069854']On Tue, 28 May 2013 07:41:38 +0200, nestork
wrote:
-

Lavender bush?

[image:
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p.../25063521.jpg]

Lavender bushes do well even here in Manitoba, so they should grow well
in a slightly milder climate like Toronto. Bumble bees love lavendar
bushes because they have so many flowers. The bee doesn't have to fly
around all day looking for flowers; he can spend a whole day just on
one
lavender bush.-

Interesting. It never occurred to me that Lavender would survive
harsh winters. Lavender is used in desert landscape (residence and
road/ highways). Drip irrigation is used, due to the harsh heat.

I don't know if there are different species of lavender bushes(?)

I've always thought of it as a small herb plant. After moving here and
seeing how big and beautiful they are I enjoy when they flower.

I've stripped and crushed leaves from the bushes, which have to same
lavender oil smell as the herb. Likely edible.

The lavender bushes that grow here are taller and don't have quite as
many flowers as shown in the picture.

Usually here, they are trimmed for shape, etc. Some are 5' tall and 6
- 8' across.

When I was a kid, one of the houses on the street I grew up on had a
whole bunch of lavender bushes growing beside their garage. Those
lavender bushes taught me that if you don't bother bees, they won't
bother you. All summer long there would always be lots of bees in those
lavender bushes collecting nectar from the flowers.

.... and hummingbirds
Senior Member

I made a mistake.

The kind of bushes that grow here are called "LILAC" bushes, not LAVENDER bushes.
(pronounced "lie lock")

Here is a picture of a lilac bush:

It blooms in spring and has flowers similar in colour, shape and size to the lavender bush, but it's a much taller growing bush. Here's what lilac flowers look like:

Lilacs are perennials and they grow a new set of leaves and flowers every year. They're very common here in Manitoba.

I don't know what made me think those kinds of bushes were called lavender.

Last edited by nestork : May 29th 13 at 08:21 PM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2013 2:18 PM, nestork wrote:
I made a mistake.

The kind of bushes that grow here are called "LILAC" bushes, not
LAVENDER bushes.
(pronounced "Li-lock")

http://www.grit.com/uploadedImages/G...ilac-bush.jpg]

http://www.bigblogofgardening.com/wp...-in-bloom.jpg]

Lilacs are perennials and they grow a new set of leaves and flowers
every year. They're very common here in Manitoba.

I don't know what made me think those kinds of bushes were called
lavender.

I was wondering where they could grow lavender 5' tall! More like
15-18" ) Just planted a bunch of seeds for lavender and a new lilac
bush....big, big yard to change over to shrubs and flower beds and the
shrubs I've planted look mighty small.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 May 2013 17:33:14 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

I was wondering where they could grow lavender 5' tall!

In the desert for bushes. Lavender oil is not the same as girly Lilac
smell goodie.

Is this Lavender or Lilac?

I already guessed.

http://joshomedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/English-Garden-Landscape-Beautiful-Lavender-Edging-Images.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nestork" wrote in message

I made a mistake.

The kind of bushes that grow here are called "LILAC" bushes, not
LAVENDER bushes.
(pronounced "Li-lock")

Here is a picture of a lilac bush:

[image:
http://www.grit.com/uploadedImages/G...ilac-bush.jpg]

It blooms in spring and has flowers similar in colour, shape and size to
the lavender bush, but it's a much taller growing bush. Here's what
lilac flowers look like:

[image:
http://www.bigblogofgardening.com/wp...-in-bloom.jpg]

Lilacs are perennials and they grow a new set of leaves and flowers
every year. They're very common here in Manitoba.

I don't know what made me think those kinds of bushes were called
lavender.

Our back yard has 2 sides of lilacs, alternating white and purple
The only thing is you need to go in regularly and clean out the dead wood.
It's a real bitch to do so.
BUT, it does keep the shrubs healthy and producing bunches of flowers each
spring.
You can also use a hedge trimmer in the fall after the seeds are gone, to
give it shape and control the height

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Common sense? What city official has common sense? When I had a
warehouse/office near downtown in an area that was a light industrial
and supply house area, I wanted to extend a chain-link fence around
a lot to keep the "Urban Campers" off the lot and away from the vehicles
and trailers. The Affirmative Action moron who was in charge of such
things for the city refused to grant a permit for a chain-link fence. We
were told we must build a fence with brick and wrought iron
which would not only be nicer than any building in the area but very
easy for said Urban Campers to climb over. Of course the trailers were
broken into along with the vehicles which also had the glass smashed
but that didn't matter to the city which didn't have to permit an ugly
chain-link fence. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:
Hi
Sorry if this off topic. Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet
tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I
live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

First, it's not off topic for this forum, since it is home repair related.

I don't know the answer to your question, but one person suggested checking
out arborvitae.

If you go to http://images.google.com/ and do a search for arborvitae,
you'll see tons of images of what they look like.

If it were me, I would also do a lot of looking around in my neighborhood
and region to see what other people have for borders.

Another option may be some type of privacy fence, or maybe a low fence that
defines the border but doesn't really create visual privacy..

Even though you want privacy, you may want to be careful that you don't put
up or plant something along the side of your house that makes it easier for
burglars and intruders to hide while breaking into your house -- just a
thought.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 May 2013 15:36:17 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

You were about to make a point. Get to it. :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 5:07*pm, leza wang wrote:
Hi
Sorry if this off topic. Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

would a thuja bush survive there? we planted rows of them for privacy
and they got about 4 ft tall in short time. and actually trimmed to
shape them for a better look
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 5:07*pm, leza wang wrote:
Hi
Sorry if this off topic. Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

forgot, ALWAYS ask your city arborist for a recommendation
1. they're paid with your tax dollars get something back
2. they have experience with growth rates, problems etc
3. sometimes they recommend something to 'coordinate' with the rest of
the city. seems ideal, but true.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The total and complete lack of common sense is rife in most municipal
governments these days and it's maddening and frustrating for
the citizenry. I wish I was in good enough shape both financially
and health wise to buy out my siblings for the family farm on the
mountaintop far away from the major urban areas of the state to get
away from the incompetent morons who've infested local governments.
The Dumbassification of America has gone on for too long and I fear we
will never recover. Time to find good cover before SHTF and sane people
finally lose their temper and become insane then take out their anger on
the morons. Perhaps those in D.C. have seen it coming and are buying up
lots of weapons, ammunition and armored vehicles ready for any excuse to
use their new toys on the citizenry. It seems to me that those in power
are fostering the decay of society so they can swoop in a clean up the
mess winding up with more power and control. o_O

As usual, anything I write must be taken with the appropriate seasoning.
For those who must limit their salt intake, there are
salt substitutes. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've never been a conspiracy theorist, but I would agree there are
a hell of a lot of signs that things are not right. Did you see the
FBI
incident a week ago in FL, with the person they were interviewing
that knew the Boston bombers? They had interviewed him before
already, at least once. The guy told a friend they were all over him
and he was worried something might happen to him. He asked the
friend to contact his parents if anything happened.

The FBI and Boston police were interviewing him again at his home.
According to the FBI, while interviewing him, he pulled out a knife,
attacked and injured one of the officers, so
they had to shoot and kill him. But before that happened, they say
they had him confessing to being part of the triple homicide that
occurred in Boston 2 years ago and that they think the Boston
bombers may have been involved in. Already, this sounds rather odd.
I mean how many times has someone suddenly gone violent in
the middle of an FBI interview and pulled a knife? Where did he
get the knife from in the middle of being interviewed?

But it gets even better. A week later, the FBI changes the story and
says he didn't have
a knife, it was a metal rod that they thought was a gun. Now I ask
you, how could the FBI not know at the time it occurred whether it
was a knife or a metal rod that looked like a gun? And this wasn't
a guy at night, standing in the shadows, with a coat on, where it
would be hard to tell what he had or didn't have. They were right
by him in full light.

The guy's father says the son was shot 7 times, including once in
the back of the head.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Whenever law enforcement screws up, they do the same thing politicians
do. It's a three letter word beginning with "L" and ending with "E". ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 27, 2013 5:07:30 PM UTC-7, leza wang wrote:
Hi

Sorry if this off topic. Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

Any arborvitae or juniper columnar variety planted a few feet apart will soon offer privacy and can be trimmed to required height. They worked well for us in Ottawa, so should grow nicely in T.O.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gwandsh wrote:
On Monday, May 27, 2013 5:07:30 PM UTC-7, leza wang wrote:
Hi

Sorry if this off topic. Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

Any arborvitae or juniper columnar variety planted a few feet apart will soon offer privacy and can be trimmed to required height. They worked well for us in Ottawa, so should grow nicely in T.O.

Hi,
If interested in hedg,. cottoneaster.(spell?)

landscaping privacy Stewie[_2_] Home Repair 21 February 24th 08 03:38 AM
Privacy issue DJ spider UK diy 3 October 30th 06 02:10 PM
Privacy Film [email protected] Home Repair 10 May 23rd 06 01:38 AM
PWW - privacy issues Dave Woodworking 4 March 22nd 06 04:53 AM
Thanks (OT network privacy Qs) Hylourgos Woodworking 1 August 3rd 04 03:09 AM