Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door problems

Recently hung a new service door going to the outside from the garage.
Initially it was (to coin a phrase) well hung as it closed smoothly, no
hangups, etc. Over about the last 6 weeks or so, it has become
increasingly harder to close and catching at a couple of places as shown
by paint being pulled away, etc.
1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?)
2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2013 8:09 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Recently hung a new service door going to the outside from the garage.
Initially it was (to coin a phrase) well hung as it closed smoothly, no
hangups, etc. Over about the last 6 weeks or so, it has become
increasingly harder to close and catching at a couple of places as shown
by paint being pulled away, etc.
1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?)
2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?

With warmer weather and increased humidity, I'd say swelling of a wooden
door is a distinct possibility.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Frank wrote:

On 5/22/2013 8:09 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Recently hung a new service door going to the outside from the garage.
Initially it was (to coin a phrase) well hung as it closed smoothly, no
hangups, etc. Over about the last 6 weeks or so, it has become
increasingly harder to close and catching at a couple of places as shown
by paint being pulled away, etc.
1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?)
2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?

With warmer weather and increased humidity, I'd say swelling of a wooden
door is a distinct possibility.

We put it in around late March or early April and we have had a TON of
rain and humidity. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

That, or swelling wood jamb. Might need to sand or plane off some wood, and repaint that area.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Frank" wrote in message ...
1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?)
2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?

With warmer weather and increased humidity, I'd say swelling of a wooden
door is a distinct possibility.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Might help to rub the door edge with a wax candle, make it slippery. Winter, it will dry out and you'll have drafts and air leakage.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message m...

With warmer weather and increased humidity, I'd say swelling of a wooden
door is a distinct possibility.

We put it in around late March or early April and we have had a TON of
rain and humidity. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 May 2013 08:37:26 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Frank wrote:

On 5/22/2013 8:09 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Recently hung a new service door going to the outside from the garage.
Initially it was (to coin a phrase) well hung as it closed smoothly, no
hangups, etc. Over about the last 6 weeks or so, it has become
increasingly harder to close and catching at a couple of places as shown
by paint being pulled away, etc.
1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?)
2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?

With warmer weather and increased humidity, I'd say swelling of a wooden
door is a distinct possibility.

We put it in around late March or early April and we have had a TON of
rain and humidity. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

An orbital sander, hand plane or set of wood files. Go lightly and
take enough wood (where it rubs) so the door will close, but not too
much.

To reduce future swelling from humidity, paint the top and bottom
edges of the door (often not painted or sealed).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Recently hung a new service door going to the outside from the garage.
Initially it was (to coin a phrase) well hung as it closed smoothly, no
hangups, etc. Over about the last 6 weeks or so, it has become
increasingly harder to close and catching at a couple of places as shown
by paint being pulled away, etc.
1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?)
2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?

*The door was hung when it was cold and dry. Now it is warm and humid. It
is natural for parts of a house to expand and contract seasonally. I have
seen this happen to interior doors.

Use an orbital sander and take down the binding parts, but don't overdo it.
When winter comes it will be well hung again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:09:09 AM UTC-7, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Recently hung a new service door going to the outside from the garage.

Initially it was (to coin a phrase) well hung as it closed smoothly, no

hangups, etc. Over about the last 6 weeks or so, it has become

increasingly harder to close and catching at a couple of places as shown

by paint being pulled away, etc.

1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?)

2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?

the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe

Are you on some kind of slope? With the exception of one house that was built on three foot thick steel re-enforced caissons, I have observed that every old house that was built by a slope or rise to be slipping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Recently hung a new service door going to the outside from the garage.
Initially it was (to coin a phrase) well hung as it closed smoothly,
no hangups, etc. Over about the last 6 weeks or so, it has become
increasingly harder to close and catching at a couple of places as
shown by paint being pulled away, etc.
1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?)
2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?

Remove sufficient wood, on the door, the jamb, or both, more than sufficient
to allow the door to close easily. Then install weatherstripping to
accommodate future expansion and contraction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Recently hung a new service door going to the outside from the garage.
Initially it was (to coin a phrase) well hung as it closed smoothly,
no hangups, etc. Over about the last 6 weeks or so, it has become
increasingly harder to close and catching at a couple of places as
shown by paint being pulled away, etc.
1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?)
2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?

Remove sufficient wood, on the door, the jamb, or both, more than sufficient
to allow the door to close easily. Then install weatherstripping to
accommodate future expansion and contraction.

Discussed this with a handyman who happened to be around working on
other things. He got out three longer screws, put them in the hinges
and explained to me how that pulled the door further back into the
hinges (if I understood his explanation). That worked. He didn't charge
me anything. Of course he will get GREAT recommendations on Angie's List
and any other place I can find.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 May 2013 12:01:13 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

Discussed this with a handyman who happened to be around working on
other things. He got out three longer screws, put them in the hinges
and explained to me how that pulled the door further back into the
hinges (if I understood his explanation). That worked. He didn't charge
me anything. Of course he will get GREAT recommendations on Angie's List
and any other place I can find.

The guy is good :-\

I just put a double interior French swing door on a sewing closet for
the wife. Needed to pull the jamb over a tad ... wait for it... I
sunk a 3 inch screw in the hinge. Fixed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2013 05:09 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Recently hung a new service door going to the outside from the garage.
Initially it was (to coin a phrase) well hung as it closed smoothly, no
hangups, etc. Over about the last 6 weeks or so, it has become
increasingly harder to close and catching at a couple of places as shown
by paint being pulled away, etc.
1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?)
2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?

Where specifically is the door rubbing/losing paint?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2013 8:37 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Frank wrote:

On 5/22/2013 8:09 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Recently hung a new service door going to the outside from the garage.
Initially it was (to coin a phrase) well hung as it closed smoothly, no
hangups, etc. Over about the last 6 weeks or so, it has become
increasingly harder to close and catching at a couple of places as shown
by paint being pulled away, etc.
1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?)
2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?

With warmer weather and increased humidity, I'd say swelling of a wooden
door is a distinct possibility.

We put it in around late March or early April and we have had a TON of
rain and humidity. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

I do as Stormin and Oren suggest. I've had to do it with several doors
and always noted that problem was worst during times of high humidity.
I also assume that none of the hinges have loosened.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Recently hung a new service door going to the outside from the garage.
Initially it was (to coin a phrase) well hung as it closed smoothly, no
hangups, etc. Over about the last 6 weeks or so, it has become
increasingly harder to close and catching at a couple of places as shown
by paint being pulled away, etc.
1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?)
2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?

Exterior doors should be steel.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 May 2013 15:57:42 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Recently hung a new service door going to the outside from the garage.
Initially it was (to coin a phrase) well hung as it closed smoothly, no
hangups, etc. Over about the last 6 weeks or so, it has become
increasingly harder to close and catching at a couple of places as shown
by paint being pulled away, etc.
1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?)
2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?

Exterior doors should be steel.

Why? I've seen some fine wood and fiberglass-clad wood doors. Steel
is ugly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Exterior doors should be steel.

Who said? The last house had an exterior egress door; aside the
garage that opened to the walk way out back. Wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 7:09*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
Recently hung a new service door going to the outside from the garage.
Initially it was (to coin a phrase) well hung as it closed smoothly, no
hangups, etc. Over about the last 6 weeks or so, it has become
increasingly harder to close and catching at a couple of places as shown
by paint being pulled away, etc.
* * * 1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?)
* * * *2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe

Do you live anywhere near where the bedroom disappeared in California,
or any other place where the ground may be shifting.

Door threshold problems B3any UK diy 2 September 30th 09 09:23 PM
vinyl siding door trim problems, retrofix to install storm door? Joe Home Repair 0 September 25th 08 12:21 AM
Having Problems Finding The Door Ron Home Repair 25 June 18th 08 03:00 PM
Garage door problems Adrian C[_2_] UK diy 2 October 2nd 07 08:00 AM
Garage door problems ctoptrader Home Repair 5 April 5th 07 03:52 PM