Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default Door problems

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Recently hung a new service door going to the outside from the garage.
Initially it was (to coin a phrase) well hung as it closed smoothly,
no hangups, etc. Over about the last 6 weeks or so, it has become
increasingly harder to close and catching at a couple of places as
shown by paint being pulled away, etc.
1) Any ideas as to why this happened (settling? swelling?)
2) Any ideas as to what I can do to fix it?

Remove sufficient wood, on the door, the jamb, or both, more than sufficient
to allow the door to close easily. Then install weatherstripping to
accommodate future expansion and contraction.

Discussed this with a handyman who happened to be around working on
other things. He got out three longer screws, put them in the hinges
and explained to me how that pulled the door further back into the
hinges (if I understood his explanation). That worked. He didn't charge
me anything. Of course he will get GREAT recommendations on Angie's List
and any other place I can find.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe